PDA

View Full Version : What are your holiday plans this year?

Jamie
2nd February 2009, 21:04
Just curious about everyones plans...I mean...if we were to believe all of the doom and gloom on in the news then none of us will be going abroad this year!

The wife and I have different reason for staying on UK soil this year so we are planning another UK driving holiday.... not sure where yet, we have had some wonderfull breaks in Cornwall, Yorkshire, Scotland, Isle of white and Devon...we cant make up our mind where to go.

Any suggestions?

Where are you lot going then??

JohnDotCom
2nd February 2009, 21:08
With work this year, taking me to Many Places in Europe and the US as well as India,
I think we will try Dubai this year.
But don't think the dog or the 75 will be going. ;)

As well as the Normal Breaks in Wales both South (Tenby) and North.

Rabett_Rover
2nd February 2009, 21:11
We are going to Wales in May and maybe Corsica in August however we need a new Kitchen:shrug:

lightpainter
2nd February 2009, 21:12
We are going to Florida in March, us two, daughter, son in law and the two grandchildren.
Might as well spend your money as it’s not making anything in the bank!

stocktake
2nd February 2009, 21:13
We are going to Spain in March probably and Spain in July definately.......and NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the kitchen :D

FAT HARRY
2nd February 2009, 21:29
Centre parc Notts in june with grandkids. Somewhere else later in year not sure where

Jamie
2nd February 2009, 21:36
Centre parc Notts in june with grandkids. Somewhere else later in year not sure where

I know quite a few folks who have opted for cente parks this year...and theres that new place near Blackpool which by all accounts is in direct competition to centre parks.

Its a great activity/ get away from it all holiday...I just hated parking the ZTT miles from the cabin!!

smcaul
2nd February 2009, 21:39
March will see us heading off to Burgundy, not in the 75 though, will take the Honda as it is bigger and better for the kids.

We are lucky in that the father in law has a house out there and in the same village he has a cottage that he rents out, so he has reserved it for us for the week (FOC of course). He gets to see us, and more importantly the grand kids, and we get a cheap holiday. (if anyone wants the web address for his rental cottage let me know by PM, don't want to post the link in case it breaks any rules on advertising etc)

Might try and get back out there again later in the year and also want to try and get away with just me and the Mrs, that will be in the 75 and hope to head to Belgium for a long weekend.

trebor
2nd February 2009, 21:40
Lanzarote in June and North Wales at some point, kitchen done 2 years ago

stocktake
2nd February 2009, 21:48
I know quite a few folks who have opted for center parks this year...and theres that new place near Blackpool which by all accounts is in direct competition to center parks.

Its a great activity/ get away from it all holiday...I just hated parking the ZIT miles from the cabin!!

We used to really enjoy Center Parks, but eventually the lack of entertainment on an evening caused me to lose interest. I didn't necessarily want a Butlins cabaret type thing but just... something.

Any detals on the blackpool set up?

Jamie
2nd February 2009, 22:19
We used to really enjoy Center Parks, but eventually the lack of entertainment on an evening caused me to lose interest. I didn't necessarily want a Butlins cabaret type thing but just... something.

Ill check with the wife in the morning...she knows all of the details of the blackpool park. shes away with the fairy's at the moment!

justmicky
2nd February 2009, 22:28
Eurodisney in a fortnight with the missus and two little uns.....may dig out the ol' 8 man frame tent for later in the year......perhaps Wales (Aberystwyth)

stevemac
3rd February 2009, 03:22
Eurodisney in a fortnight with the missus and two little uns.....may dig out the ol' 8 man frame tent for later in the year......perhaps Wales (Aberystwyth)

We used to holiday around Aberystwyth a few years ago. Borth beach is still one of my favorite places, getting fish and chips from the shop there and sitting in the car (too cold to get out:D) watching the wind blow across the sand. Not sure on a holiday this year as I have had a "danger of redundancy" notice.

GERFIX
3rd February 2009, 04:57
Planned so far - one week from now, Dublin courtesy of Ryanair at a total cost of £0.08 for four of us :D(flight only mind you). Just a one day thing - fly out on Tuesday and fly back on Wednesday.

April - Shifnal for a day or two.;)

September - Egypt for a fortnight All Inclusive. Sharks Bay at Sharm el Sheikh.

Paranoid Carlos
3rd February 2009, 04:59
3 weeks in Florida :party:2 in the parks, on one on the beach in Sanibel

Booked it before the current "crisis" been thinking to cancel but if I get made redundant the redundancy money will help:o.
Might not be able to afford it again. and we haven't had a Warm holiday since 2000.
Sounds a stupid and frivolous thing to do, but if I lose my job I know I will regret not going forever.....

Paranoid Carlos
3rd February 2009, 05:09

Same problem I had with centre parcs, like to relax on holiday but something would be nice.
At the same time found Haven parks too full of people on a mission to drink there own weight in lager before 4 in the afternoon, and forget they had kids causing havoc, shame really put me off, Went to one in north wales (hafan y mor I think) that was lovely :)

bigmark
3rd February 2009, 07:33
same as the last 3 years sitting at home, cant afford holidays :mad:

moonstoneboy
3rd February 2009, 09:27
10 days in April, 10 days in May, 17 days in July, 10 days in September, 10 days next January......

Bought a house in the Haute Garonne (France) 2 years ago and planned to take early retirement and move there this April.

Since then that nice M Sarkosy has changed health care arrangements and now the pound v euro.

So for now it is a holiday home. Before the 75 had a 300TDi Disco, so the journey makes it a lot more comfortable and cheaper.

Paul

FROGGY
3rd February 2009, 11:45
I'm permanently on holiday......................and abroad!

Mick

Jamie
3rd February 2009, 17:49

Its a place called 'Ribby hall' near blackpool...apparently its really plush...not been there but the neighbours go regulary.

J

stocktake
3rd February 2009, 18:17
"really plush".......... Mr & Mrs stocktake........:laughing2:

tigerchubs
3rd February 2009, 19:50
2 weeks in August mobile road blocking in Cornwall :D

Jürgen
3rd February 2009, 21:37
Maybe a week in Shropshire and surroundings this April ... :shrug:

;)

Mr Stanley
6th March 2009, 16:40
I took early retirement last year 2008 and changed my car in Jan this year. Bought a Cdti Connie specifically to tour France and Spain for the best part of a month this coming May. We're staying in the Dordogne for a week then moving down to Murcia in Spain for two weeks, then taking our time travelling back home. Luckily I didn't book with Speedferries, although there was only about a week in it before they went bust and me making a booking!

SMC Trading
6th March 2009, 16:57
I am looking at taking my tourer to the south of France in August, a member on here is looking in to accommodation for me as I write this....:drool4:

Mr Stanley
6th March 2009, 17:05
I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter where you end up. My previous French excursions have been in my Merc A Class, so I'm looking forward to enjoying a bit of comfort with my Connie this time.

Time Searcher
6th March 2009, 17:06
We're moving to Central Portugal in the 2nd week in May... as well as a new kitchen, SWMBO is getting a new house, driving the 2100 miles, taking the ZTT it looks like a 4 day trip, nice one... Club Meets out there will be interesting:lol:
Cheers, Martin

lady zed
13th March 2009, 19:49
We're moving to Central Portugal in the 2nd week in May... as well as a new kitchen, SWMBO is getting a new house, driving the 2100 miles, taking the ZTT it looks like a 4 day trip, nice one... Club Meets out there will be interesting:lol:
Cheers, Martin

What? Permanently moving? Ex pat? Wow, all the very best to you! :D:D

Time Searcher
13th March 2009, 20:11
What? Permanently moving? Ex pat? Wow, all the very best to you! :D:D
Yep... had enough of this cr---y weather... actually been planning it for several years, finally bought an interim house whilst our planned one is being built. So after 10 years of retirement we are really going to work on retirement...;). Driving our ZTT down via the Channel tunnel, France, Spain and finally Central Portugal. Taking 4 days at about 500 miles per day, should give the car a good workout...
Cheers to all,
Martin

GERFIX
13th March 2009, 21:11
All the best to you Martin. I suppose the weather will make up a little for the scenery you'll be leaving behind http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

StevenWilliams
13th March 2009, 22:38
Going to take the kids on there FIRST holiday. We realised we haven't been on one since they were born. Bad parents we are...

Anyhow Just been given my redundancy date (June 30th) so we figured what the heck and we will be taking the kids to EuroDisney for a week with some of the redundancy.

My oldest (5) is saving every penny he can get his hands on for the trip already.

Not sure whether I should Drive-Ferry-Drive, Drive-Eurostar-Drive or just Eurostar all the way.

Any thoughts?

eskezz
14th March 2009, 08:31
May in Florida. June in Mexico. July in Brazil. August in Cuba. September in the Bahamas.

Oh no-gas and electricity bill has just arrived-maybe next year!

stevemac
14th March 2009, 09:40
Farnborough is looking pretty good for us this year:shrug:

JohnDotCom
14th March 2009, 12:37
Think for many RAF Cosford could be it. :)

lady zed
14th March 2009, 13:01
Think for many RAF Cosford could be it. :)

Is there room to pitch a tent?? :D:D:D:D

JohnDotCom
14th March 2009, 13:08
Is there room to pitch a tent?? :D:D:D:D
There is a spare Bed at the Hotel room. :D

Jamie
17th March 2009, 20:52
Not sure whether I should Drive-Ferry-Drive, Drive-Eurostar-Drive or just Eurostar all the way.

Any thoughts?

Drive - Ferry - drive....definately....the ferry is a great experience and the kids will love the excitement of it!

Done it over 20 times!

moonstoneboy
18th March 2009, 08:02

Any thoughts?

Use the tunnel:

Ferry - drive past the Eurotunnel turnoff on the motorway. Eventually end up on the A20 driving through Dover. Arrive at Ferry port where there are a lot of cars for lots of ferry companies. Check in. Drive down on to dock. Drive on to ferry. If first on then chance no queueing at the restaurant. If it is rough then it can be a very bouncy ride. Hour and a half later arrive at Calais. Drive out of Calais.

Tunnel - turn off motorway a long way before Dover normally no queues checking in. Drive a short distance to holding point. When called drive to lanes to shuttle. Drive on to shuttle. Smooth 35 min journey. Exit terminal on to motorway. If you want to eat stop at one of the very pleasant aires.

Paul

smcaul
18th March 2009, 08:08
Naa, I'm firmly in the ferry camp. Also the ferry is much cheaper then the tunnel. We go to France on Friday, using Norfolk Line, 2 hour crossing but it breaks up the trip a bit (by the time we get to Dover we will be 1/3 of the way through the 500 mile drive). Kids get to stretch their legs (and lungs!!) in the play areas, much more relaxing experience for the parents!

The Jugs
18th March 2009, 08:33
Ferry definately better for the kids, take the car for time away from Disney, then you wont blow ALL your redundency in one week :D

majedm75
18th March 2009, 11:27
Going to take the kids on there FIRST holiday. We realised we haven't been on one since they were born. Bad parents we are...

Anyhow Just been given my redundancy date (June 30th) so we figured what the heck and we will be taking the kids to EuroDisney for a week with some of the redundancy.

My oldest (5) is saving every penny he can get his hands on for the trip already.

Any thoughts?

Steven,

I personally prefer the Euro-tunnel and used it for all the times I came over to the UK. A lot faster for crossing and saves time. However, they have a bizarre way of pricing their service which increases prices exponentially with respect to the number of days between the crossing and the return :mad:. I did not check this matter for the ferries :o however...
To use the Eurostar all the way means you have to go to London St Pancras in a way, and the price is done by the number of passengers and can be very hefty at some periods :confused:.
Finally, besides Euro-Disney there are many interesting things for kids in Paris area to consider if you are on a budget, but I'm not sure the little ones would dream about them as much as Disney...

StevenWilliams
18th March 2009, 13:10
Just pricing it all up now.

My budget is £1000 for the holiday but it would be nice to have some money left over. However the charge for the kids passports surprised me a little. :)

I'm going to work out the holiday wit both ferry and eurotunnel and see how it all pans out. I'll be doing all the driving.
The ferry does look MUCH cheaper.

ceedy
18th March 2009, 13:15
I would love to go back to Florida again , or maybe Vegas ( last time 8 days after the twin towers Hit !?) ,

but the pound to dollar is slowing it all up ..

Plus with all the family having different jobs and the school limits on Hols its a
Logistical nightmare !!!

( last year we stretched the rules and did orlando 2 weeks during half term).

C

Jürgen
22nd March 2009, 18:13
I'm pondering about Wales this year.

:shrug:

Yes, I think Wales would be a good idea.

I'll just travel west bound from Cosford ... :D

Any suggestions for places not to miss for a first visit, please?

podge
22nd March 2009, 18:35
Enjoy your new life in Portugal Martin,very friendly people out there.It seems our heart belongs to Madiera, just back from our second stay there...absolutely smitten with that island and its people.Ah yes...ABLIGARDO!! Sorry to hear of your posible redundancy Steve,I had a similar letter last month but have been assured its o.k., so everything is crossed at the moment.I spotted a familiar car in M, will post up a snap.P.

bl52krz
22nd March 2009, 21:25
we are driving to germany in april. and going to the loire vally in september so far. wife wants to go to scotland in late june. best month for scotland.

Pete
24th March 2009, 15:54
I'm pondering about Wales this year.

Any suggestions for places not to miss for a first visit, please?

Crikey, loads mate!

It depends on what you like. I like Devil's Bridge although in truth it's just a bit of a waterfall with a very ropey path down the side, but it just feels all nice and soothing. Portmeirion is a real must, along with Porthamdog and Criccieth which you can take in via the narrow gauge railway. You can also drive over the Anglesey and see Thomas Telford's pioneering work along the way. One thing about North wales however - watch your speed!

My favourite place in all the world is Newquay, a few miles South of Aberystwyth. Very little there really, just a small village, but many happy memories of childhood and teenage mischief! Ah, summer!

All that just a couple of hours from Cosford. Think the Ducati might be getting some excercise over that way very soon ;)

JohnDotCom
24th March 2009, 22:14
Both my Place and Jules are nearby to Llandudno.
great place for a base to Explore North Wales, The Mountains, The Castles, The History with Slate mines, Cable tram way and dozen or so narrow gauge Steam railways, and a full size one at Llangollen.
Beaches, ski slope and also what Pete mentioned

Rovernut
24th March 2009, 23:00
Shropshire in the caravan in April for us. Lovely county and no slate mines!

I know how to spoil a girl!

Chris

mark_bonsai
24th March 2009, 23:12
First two weeks of June on the west coast of Scotland on the peninsular above Mull.

Possibly back to Goa in December.

James.uk
24th March 2009, 23:30
I normally rent a cottage-house somewhere down south with my friend and bro and sister, but my trusty dog has arthritus pretty badly now, so I will stay at home and just do lots of trips out instead. :)

Fortunately there are loads of Mways very local to me so I can cover a very large area quite easily in an afternoon. :lol: e.g. North Wales, Pennines, lakes, Liverpool, Yorks, Derbyshire etc etc.. :D .

Jules
24th March 2009, 23:43
Mrs Jules is trying to book somewhere as we speak !
Venice or Crete but it's all booked up over half term:mad:

Recession ............wot recession?:confused:
Anyone got any accommodation in either of above please let us know

stevemac
25th March 2009, 10:25
My favourite place in all the world is Newquay, a few miles South of Aberystwyth. Very little there really, just a small village,

Great fish and chip shop on the front. Spent lots of time sitting on the wall, eating and watching the boats in the harbour:). When we were last there, a few years ago, the woman serving behind the counter said she came from Aldershot, which is next to our home town (if you did not know!)

lightpainter
25th March 2009, 13:00
Just about to leave home for twilight book-in with Virgin at Gatwick then on for an overnight stay at Copthorne hotel with ‘secure’ parking for our stay in Florida for two weeks!

Jules
25th March 2009, 13:02
Bon Voyage & have a very restful time.
I enjoy all your pics BTW, keep them coming;)

Reebmit
25th March 2009, 14:20
This year is probably the back garden:D as we are looking to do a big New Zealand trip either next year or very early year after....expensive but looking at maybe spending a few years out there if holiday goes well:D

Jürgen
25th March 2009, 19:38
Crikey, loads mate!

It depends on what you like. I like Devil's Bridge although in truth it's just a bit of a waterfall with a very ropey path down the side, but it just feels all nice and soothing. Portmeirion is a real must, along with Porthamdog and Criccieth which you can take in via the narrow gauge railway. You can also drive over the Anglesey and see Thomas Telford's pioneering work along the way. One thing about North wales however - watch your speed!

My favourite place in all the world is Newquay, a few miles South of Aberystwyth. Very little there really, just a small village, but many happy memories of childhood and teenage mischief! Ah, summer!

All that just a couple of hours from Cosford. Think the Ducati might be getting some excercise over that way very soon ;)

Both my Place and Jules are nearby to Llandudno.
great place for a base to Explore North Wales, The Mountains, The Castles, The History with Slate mines, Cable tram way and dozen or so narrow gauge Steam railways, and a full size one at Llangollen.
Beaches, ski slope and also what Pete mentioned

Quite an impressive list! It will be Wales then this spring. Thanks a lot, my friends. :)

So it has been indeed a good decision not to buy a return ticket yet ... :D

JohnDotCom
25th March 2009, 20:42
Souinds like a mini meet is coming up. :D