PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem Or Small Problem

roytheboy1
22nd February 2007, 22:19
Drove home from work last night car was fine went to start her this morning she would not start called the AA out they checked everything they could battery was fine all electrics ok could this be the fuel pump would this be expensive ? or could it be something simple the car is 03 1.8t club se with only 21k on the clock

JohnDotCom
22nd February 2007, 22:34
Check all the Normal easy checks. Make sure the Plenum chamber is free of water as the ECU is in there. Listen for the pump noise at rear of car to hear if it is working as you turn ignition.(access is under rear seat) there is a second pump under the Bonnet to. If it is the pump they are not cheap! But someone will be along shortly with some more checks for you.

Zeb
23rd February 2007, 07:05
Check all the Normal easy checks. Make sure the Plenum chamber is free of water as the ECU is in there. Listen for the pump noise at rear of car to hear if it is working as you turn ignition.(access is under rear seat) there is a second pump under the Bonnet to. If it is the pump they are not cheap! But someone will be along shortly with some more checks for you.

Are there two pumps on petrol cars too then?

GreyGhost
23rd February 2007, 08:11
Probably the fuel filter problem. On a 1.8T

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/download.php?file=tid005.pdf

AA and RAC know about this though as generally where they start on our petrol driven cars. :D

JohnDotCom
23rd February 2007, 08:29
Thanks MM I must remember you Petrol Heads have slightly different layout under there, thats my excuse, but surely these breakdown services should have a slightly better idea of faults they are called out to.
Its like me going to a Computer and saying yes mate it could be the Motherboard without looking or checking known fault conditions!
The Plenum check though is always relavent with all the weird and wonderful faults that causes I would think.

tigerchubs
23rd February 2007, 08:30
Drove home from work last night car was fine went to start her this morning she would not start called the AA out they checked everything they could battery was fine all electrics ok could this be the fuel pump would this be expensive ? or could it be something simple the car is 03 1.8t club se with only 21k on the clock

Had a similar problem with customers 18t 2 weeks ago, turned out to be a damaged seal where the in tank fuel filter splits. The fuel filter is in the passenger side of the fuel tank if DIY.