PDA

View Full Version : Norton

lightpainter
23rd February 2007, 16:45
Can anyone help me uninstall Norton Internet Security from my spare desktop? I’ve tried through Control / add remove, but it just refuses to be uninstalled for some reason, keep getting:
“Norton internet security uninstallation has failed. Do you want to try again?”
On pressing retry get the same message all the time.
Got a feeling that it’s because the programme is running from when you start the computer that’s the problem, but how do you shut it down?
Even tried deleting it from Explorer / programs / right click / delete without success.
Any help would be appreciated.

ron fleming
23rd February 2007, 16:51
try downloading PRIVICY GUARDIAN, open it and drag and drop norton in to the shredder, that should get rid of it. have used it to get rid of problem files before.

lightpainter
23rd February 2007, 17:43
try downloading PRIVICY GUARDIAN, open it and drag and drop norton in to the shredder, that should get rid of it. have used it to get rid of problem files before.

Cheers Ron, all done and dusted, good little program that one.
Many thanks. Pete.

Simon
23rd February 2007, 17:53
The problem would have stemmed from the fact that Norton (like most anti virus software) is designed not be uninstalled.

As in, you must use Symantec's own-brand uninstall program (usually somewhere within Norton's program folder) to uninstall the software. This measure is there to prevent nasty virus or hackers uninstalling your software.

I've not heard of the above program as I usually find ways around uninstalling things that dont like being uninstalled using other methods but if it has worked for you then that's what counts :)

ron fleming
23rd February 2007, 21:11
it also cleans all your recent activities, which is a good thing in this day and age.

Simon
23rd February 2007, 21:27
Already got me stuff to clean out me privacy (ooh-err :oops:) Two firewalls (one on router, one on PC), Antivirus, anti-spyware, periodic system-wide spyware checks using another program plus being extra vigilant at whats lurking inside system folders... Oh and encrypted personal data, monitoring of personal data sent out over the LAN/WAN (Norton feature), never ever using IE except for Windows update malarky, invisible WiFi network, 128-bit encrypted WEP key for said WiFi network. The worlds most impossible-to-guess password for the Router and if all else fails there's a little switch on the wall where the whole kit and kaboodle is plugged into the mains....

EDIT: Even my wireless keyboard and mouse have encrypted communication between them and the PC....

Moi? Paranoid? :oh you:

BMC123
24th February 2007, 00:29
paranoid? no. careful, yes. That more or less is my set up as well. except I got rid of the wireless rat and keyboard and added a decent wired laser mouse and backlit keyboard (as I really had no use for wireless to be honest)

keyboard
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/eclipse.htm

Mouse
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3191.html

yes... yes i am a geek :getmecoat:

Kandyman
24th February 2007, 00:37
Oh my you have the same mouse and keyboard as me :)

JohnDotCom
24th February 2007, 10:28
You can never be to Paranoid. Took our security division of Company only 4 hours to get into a Major bank system after updates so never assume!
(Bank now corrected, but the Government ones are a joke currently beta testing ID cards etc but we wont go there!)

Rich
24th February 2007, 15:29
Oh my you have the same mouse and keyboard as me :)

Now that's enough to make anyone paranoid :laughing2: