PDA

View Full Version : Strange "problem"(engine cutoff) with Rover 75 CDT

jopena
27th February 2007, 11:53
Hey,
I bought this baby last week .It got 96000km under its waist...but I noticed something quite strange.
If I am driving on 3rd gear with about 1000rpm and press the acceleration pedal to the ground,then start accelerating just on 3000rpm - and the engine cuts off (about 5-6 sec of maximum pressed pedal) and i have to start it with the key again :( .

When I'm accelerating and switching the gears 2-3-4, everything is normal, i.e. everything's good if i dont press down the accelerator to the maximum.
This happens only on 2nd and 3rd gears.
The other thing is, that when the oil was changed by the previous owners , they did not reset the service interval timer and now there is an OIL CHANGE warning (-7800km).What I would like to know is whether the engine 'cut off' is a problem or it is some kind of protection for the engine? Hope for the latter..

Thanks in advance :)

Kandyman
27th February 2007, 13:08
Hi there jopena

Welcome to the forums and the club :)

I have to say as i have petrol 75 am not to sure about diesel so I will leave that for someone better to give you some help 

As for your oil reset light you can reset it yourself by following the How to laid out in this post http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217

Good luck and welcome

Keith
27th February 2007, 20:19
Does the engine completely cut out or just go into a form of gutless Tickover
If so you may have a fuel deivery or fuel pump problem

Do you have any third party tuning boxes fitted?

JohnDotCom
27th February 2007, 21:28
Would a Maff sensor cause these type of faults? Generally thought they just went sluggish with no response.

jopena
28th February 2007, 09:51
Yes the engine completely cutoff. The strange thing is that it happens only if the gas pedal is pressed to the maximum. If I accelerate without pressing it to the limit its OK . I go over 4000rpm with no problems at all .
I have a computer diagnostic test for the next Wednesday .

The other thing is that the computer shows (-7800 km OIL SERVICE ). I have to reset the counter, and I wonder if I do it by myself would there be any problem. Because the nearest repair show where this can be done professionally
is in Greece , Solun. And I'm in Sofia , Bulgaria . :(
Thanks for your replies.

JohnDotCom
28th February 2007, 10:18
No problems doing it yourself. There are boxes on EBay that make life a lot easier for doing this also, just plug it into Diagnostic socket, press one of 3 buttons, and hey presto done. No accidental shorting out.

jopena
1st March 2007, 09:26
A guy in another forum suggest that it maybe the fuel pump located in the tank. He said it's a common problem with diesels.

Quote: " Under hard acceleration the engine cuts and has to be restarted. "

Can this be the problem and if I change the fuel filter and add lots of fuel improvements (don't know the word - for cleaning the fuel system) , and drive always with more than half full tank.
Can this preserve the fuel pump, or some how fix it's work ?
Thanks. :)

Moonstone
1st March 2007, 10:19
Yes the engine completely cutoff. The strange thing is that it happens only if the gas pedal is pressed to the maximum. If I accelerate without pressing it to the limit its OK . I go over 4000rpm with no problems at all .
I have a computer diagnostic test for the next Wednesday .

The other thing is that the computer shows (-7800 km OIL SERVICE ). I have to reset the counter, and I wonder if I do it by myself would there be any problem. Because the nearest repair show where this can be done professionally
is in Greece , Solun. And I'm in Sofia , Bulgaria . :(
Thanks for your replies.

This is the procedure for reset of the service interval
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/download.php?file=tid004.pdf
It's a little difficult if just using wire links - most don't succeed at the first try. The "tools" on eBay are said to be easier to use.

With luck, your diagnostic test will show where the problem is. Pump problems always seem to lead to replacement. Main garages often want to replace both pumps just to be sure. The full in-tank pump assembly costs about 200 UK pounds, though it's usually just the motor that's failed. If you search elsewhere, you may find details of someone who used the motor from a cheaper Peugeot pump.

jopena
1st March 2007, 11:04
Thanks for the advice :)

jopena
6th March 2007, 12:23
Today I went to a repair shop. They connect to the computer and the Error codes for the engine was only for the CAM sensor . After they cleaned all error codes and reset the service interval the problem appeared again.
This time the error was " rail pressure low " .
I left the car there so they can check what is the problem. They said that have never had a problem of this type.
This only appears when the car is in motion. Never when stopped even if the engine is at 4500-5000 rpm.

PS. today at 2nd gear i accelerate till 4500rpm and when shift to 3rd and press again the accelerator at about 3000 rpm the engine switch off :(

Roverron
6th March 2007, 14:22
Today I went to a repair shop. They connect to the computer and the Error codes for the engine was only for the CAM sensor . After they cleaned all error codes and reset the service interval the problem appeared again.
This time the error was " rail pressure low " .
I left the car there so they can check what is the problem. They said that have never had a problem of this type.
This only appears when the car is in motion. Never when stopped even if the engine is at 4500-5000 rpm.

PS. today at 2nd gear i accelerate till 4500rpm and when shift to 3rd and press again the accelerator at about 3000 rpm the engine switch off :(

Rail pressure low does explain the engine cutting out.

If the high pressure pump cannot provide a high enough pressure at the rail, the ecu stops the engine to prevent possible damage to the pump from fuel starvation.

It is most likely caused by one or both of the low pressure pumps.
Usually the in tank pump fails first and the under bonnet one cannot supply enough fuel alone.
Both pumps run for 20-60 seconds with just the igntion on, so listen for them. The in tank pump is under the righthand rear seat base.
(How old is the fuel filter?)

Ron

JohnDotCom
6th March 2007, 14:47
These Pumps seem to be a very common Recuring Problem lately.
Has any one with the Single Pump setup had similar problems or is it only on the 2 Pump Cars?

jopena
7th March 2007, 06:28
I don't know what is the condition of the filters. I wanted to diagnose the problem first and than to change something. I am thinking about changing them after I get back the car.
Can the fuel filter cause this problem?

Roverron
7th March 2007, 08:22
I don't know what is the condition of the filters. I wanted to diagnose the problem first and than to change something. I am thinking about changing them after I get back the car.
Can the fuel filter cause this problem?

If the fuel filter was clogged up it would cause this. It needs to be changed about every 20k miles.

If you don't know how old it is, change it first as a precaution before spending money on other things.

Ron

Ti Rich
7th March 2007, 12:50
If the fuel filter was clogged up it would cause this. It needs to be changed about every 20k miles.

Ron

Ron

The service interval is 4 years/60K???

Roverron
7th March 2007, 13:28
Ron

The service interval is 4 years/60K???

Tthere's no way I'd leave a fuel filter that long or even half as long!

Ron

jopena
16th March 2007, 10:08
It's not the pump. The technicians tested with 2 other pumps and it did it again. :(((
They said that will try to see if the fuel pipes are ok.

PS. I'm sick of it. Want my car back. It's been week and a half since the car is there. :banghead: