PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT - good deal or walk away?

Jones_55
12th March 2009, 09:10
We`re looking to get an MG ZT or Rover 75 on a budget, and saw the following.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160320866506

Its an MG ZT 190+ trophy blue, 122k miles 1 months tax and MOT, for £1050
Its standard spec with large rear spoiler, alcantara seats & headlamp washers (not xenon?!?)

Went to view and test drive it. Lovely car, but the bodywork was quite marked. there was a heavy scuff/scrape on drivers door, and at least 2 carpark dings on each side. No bumper scyffs - just usual stonechips. Drivers seat heavily bobbled. All features worked.

The seller said the cambelt was changed at 90k, just before he bought the car - but no proof! He`d not serviced it since then - so 30k and no service (depsite saying theyd.

I know its very cheap - but teking into account the above, is it still a good price?

WeeMan
12th March 2009, 09:14
:) Looks ok on photos, but if your not too clued up take along someone who is. At this price a few battle scars are to be expected.

GreyGhost
12th March 2009, 09:28
Please keep in mind that this is now a pretty old car and has a lot of miles on it. You may find that it becomes a money pit in quick time.
If on the other hand you are prepared for that or would do any repairs yourself at minimal cost then it could be viewed as a bargain.

Jules
12th March 2009, 09:50
Agree with GG
You will only know the answer to your own question in say a year after ownership!!

If you only needed Fuel tyres & brake pads etc, then TOTAL BARGAIN.
On the other hand if it needs:

Cooling fan, Stat Housing, Belts & other KV6 related snags, then not such a bargain!

Any prospective buyer of any variant of the 75 or ZT should check if the cooling fan comes on when Aircon selected.

If it doesn't then it's up to £800 to replace (£450 from me fitted);)

StevenWilliams
12th March 2009, 09:58
Also I'd check to see if the Cambelts have been changed. If not I'd be tempted to walk.

Jules
12th March 2009, 10:02
They were changed, but no Proof on paper :shrug:

StevenWilliams
12th March 2009, 10:03
They were changed, but no Proof on paper :shrug:

I wonder why not. it is the sort of thing you would make sure is in the service book especially if the car is supposedly well maintained.

I even put my own service history into the service book. It just shows the level of care taken.

StevenWilliams
12th March 2009, 10:07
Still at that price you could afford to spend a little on it.

I suppose it all depends on what sort of mileage and driving you will be doing on it.

At the end of the day it's a cheap car. it will be affected by the new tax increases as it was registered in july. (When they come in that is)

StevenWilliams
12th March 2009, 10:09
Its standard spec with large rear spoiler, alcantara seats & headlamp washers (not xenon?!?)

The add states it has Xenons. However what is the Premiun sound system as it looks like a Harmony to me?

also what is stuck to theHarmony unit?

stocktake
12th March 2009, 10:10
It would appear that no proof means not done:shrug:. So budget accordingly. You could always attempt to trace the service history.

It is a lot of car for the money but all 75/ZT's are just now.

Dont forget to pay attention to the clutch operation if you are interested in the car. Anything less than perfect operation could result in a hefty bill.

Jones_55
12th March 2009, 10:54
The add states it has Xenons. However what is the Premiun sound system as it looks like a Harmony to me?

also what is stuck to theHarmony unit?

Thanks guys, certainly one to tread carefuly on by the sounds of it.
The owner claimed the cambelt was done just prior to him purchasing the car. I was also very surprised that if this was the case, and being a major job, the receipt had not been kept! There was also no stamp in the service book with a useful garage phone number. So you really do have to assume its not been done!
Not servicing a car thats done 30k miles in 9 months seems a bit odd too - certainly not what I`d call 'well looked after'. Also one rear tyre was illegal - and obviously not matching the other side.
Also the last MOT cert (from May 2008) had a YES in the advisery note box. I asked what this was - cos obviously he`d removed the actual attached note. He said it was the rear number plate light. I assumed this was fair enough - but thinking about this, wouldnt that be a straight fail?

The car definately didnt have xenon, maybe its some kind of bright headlight alternative?
Standard stereo as far as I could see with CD changer in glovebox, no HK - think its an air freshner or mobile phone holder stuck to the unit.
Clutch felt fine (not that I`m sure I`d know otherwise!), although there was a slight whine noise coming from somehwere.

Seems a bit risky to me, so I`ll keep an eye on it, but probably look elsewhere.
Shame as its cheap and localish to me......but thats a very bad reason to buy a car

efreeti
12th March 2009, 11:11
It is definitely the right colour :)

You can check past mot failures online at VOSA web site if you have the vehicle reg and a ref number from the MOT certificate.

I guess you are looking at £1600 or so once you have bought it, sorted the tyres, done the cambelt and given it a service. It isn't bad really as long as you are ok with the bodywork.

In the end anything with a decent service history and one careful owner is going to cost twice as much as this one and even then you are not assured of it not blowing up the following week! :)

Dacman
12th March 2009, 12:27
Personally and this is only my opinion (dont take it as read) i think the car is a win win situation having read the returns policy. Which states

"Return policy details: RETURNS ONLY IF NOT AS DESCRIBED IN THE LISTING,ITEMS ARE CHECKED PRIOR TO SENDING BUT IF ANYTHING DOES GET MISSED AND IS FAULTY IT WILL BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE"

I take it by this that when you get the car home and check the vis operation and i would presume at least 1 isnt working then they will replace it FOC.

maybe i am wrong...........

dac

Jones_55
12th March 2009, 12:39
It is definitely the right colour :)

You can check past mot failures online at VOSA web site if you have the vehicle reg and a ref number from the MOT certificate.

I guess you are looking at £1600 or so once you have bought it, sorted the tyres, done the cambelt and given it a service. It isn't bad really as long as you are ok with the bodywork.

In the end anything with a decent service history and one careful owner is going to cost twice as much as this one and even then you are not assured of it not blowing up the following week! :)

Well, I`m not technically minded/capable, so any work needing doing would be my local Garage. I think I`d struggle to get cambelt/mot/service done for less than £800, tyres another £160 min, tax would be another £200.
So as you suggest, its more like a £2k car.....

I like the returns idea Dacman - cant quite see it working somehow!!:D

BigRuss
12th March 2009, 13:06
I was looking for a V6 ZT on a budget and saw a few between £1200 and £1500 and to be perfectly honest they all would have required at least £1000 to get them sorted to any kind of reliable state.
Most had incomplete service history and needed the belts doing.

I ended up with an immaculate 2.5 V6 75 with full service history new brakes, battery, exhaust, recent front tyres, 7 months mot and 3 months tax for £1500 but it still needed the belts doing. ;)

I think it would be a lucky find to get a ZT V6 that dosn't need anything for less than £2000+ ;)

Russ

moonstoneboy
12th March 2009, 13:07
Well the ad seems to read that the body is good - but it seems not.

Belts could have been changed by previous person without using a garage but would have expected parts bills to have been handed over.

Proceed with caution and expect bills.

Paul

JohnDotCom
12th March 2009, 14:32
Never trust the service record without Back Up receipts or if DIY Parts receipts.
Easy enough for a couple of Quid to get a Stamp made and tick and sign the boxes.

No Proof?...........
........Hasn't been done IMHO