PDA

View Full Version : ZTT 190 suspension

Countach
28th February 2007, 16:16
Why didn't the ZTT 190 have self levelling rear suspension? can it be retrofitted? (there are a set of dampers on eb*y at the mo)
I'm still concerned my suspension has suffered from Towing heavy loads...

I would like to lower the car (motobuild do a set of shorter springs) but I'd get stuck every time I drove offroad with my trailer...

Rincewind
28th February 2007, 16:31
We didn't fit self leveling suspension to the ZTT becasue it would not fit the requirements of the chassis. Fiting the self leveling kit would make the back end like a Rover 75 TOurer with a ZT front end making is unstable and nasty to drive as there would be different set ups at each end.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to fit it to the vehicle unless you swapped the front end too, but then you might as well buy a Rover 75 Tourer.

JohnDotCom
28th February 2007, 16:39
Seems to work fine on my Tourer great with the Full loads I carry and the Towing of Van.

Bernard LPG
28th February 2007, 16:52
We didn't fit self leveling suspension to the ZTT becasue it would not fit the requirements of the chassis. Fiting the self leveling kit would make the back end like a Rover 75 TOurer with a ZT front end making is unstable and nasty to drive as there would be different set ups at each end.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to fit it to the vehicle unless you swapped the front end too, but then you might as well buy a Rover 75 Tourer.

So was the self-levelling system fitted as standard to the 75 tourer?
I'm asking this because I would like to fit this for my saloon if possible as I carry heavy loads frequently.

Rich
28th February 2007, 19:56
I would like to lower the car (motobuild do a set of shorter springs) but I'd get stuck every time I drove offroad with my trailer...

Just to scare the living bejesus out of Rincewind, have you thought of getting a set of Reds (http://www.redshydros.com/) fitted? ;)

Countach
1st March 2007, 15:50
Just to scare the living bejesus out of Rincewind, have you thought of getting a set of Reds (http://www.redshydros.com/) fitted? ;)

Well..... I did hear that someone had developed a system that worked with the OE suspension... (the original Hydraulic suspension kits, replaced the OE setup and made the suspension solid when not being used to make the car dance..) so you had normal suspension until you activated the hydraulics, at which point yiu could either raise the car for offroad use, or make it dance LA style!

I have to go onto bumpey/rutted fields a few times a year towing a light trailer (<750 kgs) and would really like a bit more clearance, (started dreaming/drooling after reading the 4x4 ZTT thread.. esp when I mentally added V8 power!!:drool4: :driving: )

I am concerned that the rear suspension has sagged (have towed a heavy load a few times...)
I knew the self levelling setup had been standard on all the other tourers and assumed that it was left off the 190 as it might've compromised its sporting setup?
I was wondering if i could just fit the self levelling dampers whilst keeping the standard springs?
Looks like I'll be contacting mr Lates to get the car checked.... (MGR in Cov were useless)..

Rincewind
1st March 2007, 15:58

:SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :eek: :eek: :eek: :panic: :panic: :panic: :SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :SHOCKED:

self leveling was an option of Tourers only, it was never fitted to saloons as far as I can remember as it wasn't developed for the saloon. i couldn be worng but I don't know what you'd need to do to fit it as I'm sure the rear wheel arch set up is different saloon to tourer so i don't know it they would fit. Don't mind being proved wrong at all, I juts know we never specced it for the car.

Nic

Rincewind
1st March 2007, 15:59
I was wondering if i could just fit the self levelling dampers whilst keeping the standard springs?
Looks like I'll be contacting mr Lates to get the car checked.... (MGR in Cov were useless)..

Not sure how that would work as the springs and dampers were some 40% IIRC stiffer at the rear so I don't know how a different set of dampers would tie up with the springs.

Mike
1st March 2007, 16:12
As Rincewind states, self-levelling was 75 Tourer only, and then only an option. It was never part of the 75 or ZT saloon set up, nor the ZTT.

:)

Countach
2nd March 2007, 02:05
My major concern is that the car isn't handling right & is VERY happy to spin her wheels (even w/ new Toyo T1 tyres), and appears to sit low at the back.
Need to get this expertly checked, and as mentioned earlier MGR were 'not very useful'.

As I carry/tow a reasonable amount, I was wondering if the self levelling was a straight swap, just concerned that they may cause a 'Nose-down' attitude.
Keeping the ZTT 190 springs would keep the handling sweet.

If the dampers work by firming up in response to sensing a greater load, then there wouldn't seem to be a problem, (Unless they cannot compensate for the difference between a 75 and a ZT)
questions:
1) Does the ZTT sit lower than the 75?
2) Do the self levelling dampers rely on external sensors/wiring?

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 08:40
Does your car have the Rear Anti Roll Bar fitted to some Models? Its fitted to Facelift Tourers as Standard.
Would it make that sort of difference anyway?

Rincewind
2nd March 2007, 12:33
ZT and ZT-T's do sit some 10 mm lower than standard 75 variants.

I'm not sure of the installation of the self leveling rear suspension without trawling through my old stuff which I'm too tired to do a t the moment as I've just arrived back in the UK from Austria having been testing out there. I've been up since 3am so my head's a little pickled at the mo.

I'll see if I can find anything as to how it all works and pop it up on the site.

Nic