PDA

View Full Version : seat airbag wiring

one-eyed riley
16th March 2009, 23:43
Hi folks

I have just fitted electric leather seats and have a couple of problems with the airbag wiring connections.

First and easiest is that the 2 halves of the yellow connector on one seat are not compatible - one is bigger. My plan is to cut off the yellow connectors and replace them with "chocky blocks" or similar but I believe it is important to get the polarity right or nasty things happen, so I presume as long as I keep the connectors same way up and mark the wires beforehand for reassembly all should be well.

The difficult bit is the other seat where some kind person has cut off the connector at the seat end leaving 2 plain blue wires. Is there any easy way of identifying which is pos and which is neg or should I dump it on the local auto-electrician to sort out?

Does anyone know if the front airbags will still work if the seats are not connected? If so I may just leave it......

Incidentally, what does the seat belt pretensioner actually do?

Departed
17th March 2009, 06:59
Ok.

First be exceptionally careful. Remember the wires you have are connected to the denonator on a bomb.

The detonator squibs aren't as far as I know polarity sensitive: they are just some fine wire a bit like a bulb. But that's what I think, not something I know for sure. The connectors have a shorting bar which prevents them being triggerd by stray currents when unplugged, and removing the 'proper' connectors removes this safety feature.

Personally with safety circuits I wouldn't take any risks, and I'd get replacements with the right connectors. I have pretensioners and bags you could have if you are local enough to collect, but these are for the older type connector.

The pretensioner retracts the stalk of the seatbelt, which tightens it slightly so you don't move as far in the belt when you crash.

Greeners
17th March 2009, 07:07
If the pretensioner has had the plug cut off, just use the one off your original seat.

one-eyed riley
18th March 2009, 09:16
Hi gents, thanks for your replies, just got back.

the pretensioner on the new seat just plugs straight in to the existing car wiring socket so I presume that is OK and nothing else needs doing?

On the question of the original connectors having a shorting bar inside, it seems standard practice on the forum to replace these with simple connectors or even solder them together - is that then not a good idea?

Lowedb thanks for the offer of the bags - would that sort out the problems of connecting up correctly? How difficult are they to fit? My car is 2003.

Departed
18th March 2009, 12:21
Hi gents, thanks for your replies, just got back.

the pretensioner on the new seat just plugs straight in to the existing car wiring socket so I presume that is OK and nothing else needs doing?

On the question of the original connectors having a shorting bar inside, it seems standard practice on the forum to replace these with simple connectors or even solder them together - is that then not a good idea?

Lowedb thanks for the offer of the bags - would that sort out the problems of connecting up correctly? How difficult are they to fit? My car is 2003.

I agree that it seems to be standard practice, but that doesn't mean it's neccesarily OK.

Just noticed your location: Sandbach. I work in Crewe so not too far from you.

Bottom line is you make your own choice. I just feel it's right that people should understand what they are doing. Personally, I would never do this, as bombs scare me and the protection was put there for a reason.

The bags I have are from 1999 cars. I don't know for sure if it will fix your issue as I don't know what connectors you have for sure.

Fittings not too hard: hardest bit is removing the seat back so you can loosen the backrest cover. Then it's just two nuts, and the cable ties on the wiring. I've struggled with the seat back on the ones I've done if I'm honest.

one-eyed riley
20th March 2009, 10:50
Thanks, the seat i have fitted has the older type connector so it sounds like the bag would fit. Presumably with a new bag there will be no problem deciding how to wire up? Never done anything with airbags so i am very ignorant I'm afraid.
Thanks for the offer of help, can we get together? No problem for me to come to Crewe anytime, could meet you initially lunchtime or something for a chat?

Departed
20th March 2009, 14:44
We can try lunchtimes, but there'd only be ten minutes. By the time I've got anywhere (they wouldn't let you on site) it's hardly worth it. However Friday afternoons are generally good. Do you know Morrisons in Crewe?

The spare bags I have already have a connector on, so should just plug in, unless that's the problem you have already, but I think you said the connector was cut off?

one-eyed riley
21st March 2009, 13:37
I have sent you a pm