PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt change

fragmeister
28th February 2007, 20:56
For reasons too complicated for me to explain (mostly because I am not mechanical), my 75 2.0 Club SE needs the rear cambelts changing only. My friendly local garage is willing to do them and has quoted about £400 to do them but does not have the tools. In a spirit of co-operation, I was wondering if anyone knew where they/I might be able to get the tools needed. They have heard word that the tools might be hired. I am keen to have these done but am not keen on paying for the other quote I have had which was £550. So I am hoping to get suggestions from those with more experience.

If needs be, and anyone knows of a garage that might be able to charge less for the replacement, I don't mind driving a couple or three hours (from Peterbrough) to get a good deal.

GreyGhost
28th February 2007, 21:14
I would suggest you contact member Lates either by PM or email he is the "cambelt meister" He is located near Rugby which is not that far from Peterborough. His charges for a full set (3) replacement cambelts is very reasonable.
He is on line at the moment so PM may be a good idea.

Lates
28th February 2007, 21:22
Evening Gents,
I did pick up your email yesterday and ran it past pete for clarification. Ideally you should take off the front chest to insert the tools correctly but we believe there is a way around it, and saving lots of pennies too. I would be looking at 3 hours + parts for this repair. I will cost this up tomorrow if necessary but you wont be charged anywhere near £400. Hope this helps...

MartinW
28th February 2007, 22:12
According to Mr Haynes, there is a method to do this without needing the locking tools, and this is easier if it is the secondary belts, with the primary belts still in place. However, they state that a special tool should be employed to hold the inlet wheel whilst undoing the nut to remove the pulley, so that no undue load is placed on the cam.
It's all described in 2B page 12 and 13.

fragmeister
1st March 2007, 07:42
Thanks. If you could cost it I would be very grateful.

Lates
1st March 2007, 21:55
Thanks. If you could cost it I would be very grateful.

Email sent mate, :)

fragmeister
2nd March 2007, 08:02
Thank you to those at Lates. I will pick up the quote as soon as I can and get back to you.

fragmeister
14th April 2007, 22:59
Today Lates did my cam belts - superb service, quick, efficient and recommended to anyone. Thank you, both of you...:)

Lates
15th April 2007, 07:49
Good morning Fragmeister,
Pleased to hear you got back home ok and your 75 is now back on song :) Take care and give me a shout if we can be of any future help.

Keith
15th April 2007, 12:21
Ok now all done and dusted, what was the reasoning behind needing to change only one belt?

Lates
15th April 2007, 15:07
The vehicle very recently had a waterpump and front belt Mr Keith.