PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

pshuttle
2nd March 2007, 08:50
Hello there,

My brake pad warning indicator came on a couple of days ago and on inspection it does indeed look like my front and rear brake pads are about ready for replacement - which I intend to remedy the weekend before the Haynes meet.

I have bought some official MG Rover pads on ebay and am awaiting delivery.

What I wanted to ask was other than being careful with the pad wear sensors, is there anything else I should look out for in particular when changing the pads?

Cheers in advance,

Pete

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 08:58
Firstly make sure that vehicle is supported well not just relying on Jack, placing removed Wheel under edge of car for extra safety.
Remove any overhanging Worn Material on Disc, the Lip, as this can fall inbetween Pad and Disc causing wear and scoring.
As you say the wear sensors sometimes need to be changed depending on state etc.
Over to other Members for any other Advice.

maxi_crawf
2nd March 2007, 09:04
I maybe wrong, but I think if the wear sensor has been "activated" it has to be replaced.

maxi_crawf

GreyGhost
2nd March 2007, 09:05
Hi Pete

It would be usual to replace wear sensors at the time of changing pads. Approx. £ 15.00 the pair. Very few people have succesfully re-used wear sensors, you will in any event have to change them before next pad change anyway as they are designed to to wear themselves.

pshuttle
2nd March 2007, 09:12
Ok cheers GG I shall order a couple of pairs of sensors too. Are they a pain to fit or is it easy stuff?

Pete

GreyGhost
2nd March 2007, 09:35
Ok cheers GG I shall order a couple of pairs of sensors too. Are they a pain to fit or is it easy stuff?

Pete

Very easy while replacing pads. It is only 1 pair. O/S front and rear only.

pshuttle
2nd March 2007, 09:39
Very easy while replacing pads. It is only 1 pair. O/S front and rear only.

Well that saves me a few quid!

Pete

yp53
2nd March 2007, 09:53
I maybe wrong, but I think if the wear sensor has been "activated" it has to be replaced.

maxi_crawf

I have twice managed to 'repair' a sensor by scraping back the ceramic block material to expose the ends of the copper wires and soldering a fine bridging wire across them to remake the connection. Its a bit fiddly, but saves a few pennies.

Call me tight if you like...:)

Kandyman
2nd March 2007, 10:29
Just to put some part numbers to the sensors, taken from http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45

SOM100030 brake pad wear lead front

SOE100010 brake pad wear lead back

andyjshaw
2nd March 2007, 18:02
Having just replaced my pads (and disks) I would suggest replacing the sensor - mine was actually broken anyway but it is a simple enough job, the hardest part it getting your fingers underneath everything in the engine compartment to unplug the old one!
Everything else was straight forward with changing the pads - good luck!

Bernard LPG
2nd March 2007, 19:07
I have twice managed to 'repair' a sensor by scraping back the ceramic block material to expose the ends of the copper wires and soldering a fine bridging wire across them to remake the connection. Its a bit fiddly, but saves a few pennies.

Call me tight if you like...:)

You're tight! But I'm with you.

Bernard LPG
2nd March 2007, 19:09

Pete

Threading the cable through is the worst job. (Every job is a pain to me!)

pshuttle
13th March 2007, 12:56
Just to let you all know I replaced front and rear brake pads on Saturday without any problems.

Also fitted my brand new leather steering wheel whilst I was at it. Was a bit scary unplugging/plugging in the airbag.

The finished result is very nice and in time for the meet.

Thanks very much for the advice on the pads.

Pete