PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control wires from steering wheel

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 14:10
Anyone know where the wires from the cruise control switches on the steering wheel are routed to? I assume (and hope!) that they run to to behind the dash somewhere.

I fitted a wooden wheel with cruise control some time back. My car has no CC so I want to use the buttons for something else - probably with the carputer I'm thinking of installing.

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 14:36
Cruise Control is not usually on the standard Loom, but is all behind the Dash when fitted, then to the Switch in Panel under Temerature control and then to the ECU behind Dash, some link to Engine Compartment. I thought there was a "How To" on afterfit but can't find it!

Think it would be easier to put on new wire direct depending on what you want to do.

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 15:31
Hi John

Are you saying that even the steering control wires aren't on the standard loom?

I hoped that there would be some unconnected wires somewhere behind the dash!

Simon
2nd March 2007, 19:41
Cruise looms are rarely there.

Retrofitting the various looms, ECU boxes and controls is tricky but by far the easiest bit.

The bit no-one yet knows how to do is enable cruise on the donor car. This requires Testbook and the ability to generate ZCS codes. This is currently beyond the scope of our (the collective Club's and all it's resources) current knowledge.

ZCS codes are information codes that give a specific detailed 'list' of what the car has fitted. There are a few people researching into generating ZCS codes so people can retrofit things like cruise but as of yet we do not know of a way to do this. I guess it's a "watch this space" type of thing. I'm sure when someone does figure out how to do it then it'll be big news...

Hope this helps :)

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 20:03
Thanks Simon.

Looks like my steering buttons are connected to nothing!

Oh well...

Simon
2nd March 2007, 20:08
Thanks Simon.

Looks like my steering buttons are connected to nothing!

Oh well...

You have steering wheel controls?

Ah well.

Was this an original part or did they come with a retrofitted steering wheel?

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 20:17
They were fitted as a Steering Wheel Replacement Simon, not on the Original, Im afraid so 95% chance of loom not being there.

Simon
2nd March 2007, 20:23
They were fitted as a Steering Wheel Replacement Simon, not on the Original, Im afraid so 95% chance of loom not being there.

Ahh... I see.

For a minute I was getting worried that I had told him incorrect information and that really he did have a full factory-fitted cruise set up and that it just may have been faulty... :getmecoat:

Phew...! ;)

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 20:27
Thanks for all the input lads.

Does it make any difference that my car is an early 2005 model?

Simon
2nd March 2007, 20:38
I think cruise was an option if you had the Driver Intelligence Pack fitted or something similar. I'm not sure of the facts exactly but some cars did have at least parts of the system fitted.

I'll have a look for the webpage that Rob Bell produced as a on-going cruise retrofit project...

EDIT: Found info, see post later on.... ;)

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 20:44
Thanks for all the input lads.

Does it make any difference that my car is an early 2005 model?

Don't think so as this was no longer standard in the SE Pack by then.
You could take out the Switch Panel under A/C controls and see if there is any cables spare there, otherwise wait for Simon to get back with any further Info. Sorry about that, not looking to good.

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 20:53
I'll have a look for the webpage that Rob Bell produced as a on-going cruise retrofit project...

I looked at that a while back and IIRC it was a bit hit and miss whether you had the loom or not.

I was hoping that the same loom for steering controls would be used on all cars i.e. that all looms would contain six wires. I thought the 2 CC button wires would run for connection to the CC loom somewhere.

I'm probably wrong, though.

Reminds me of a pun - "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"

Simon
2nd March 2007, 21:01
Found it :D

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ZTT/cruise_control/index.htm

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 21:07
Well found & Interesting Simon, a Big job. Its a shame the Cutbacks on the Facelift removed the Loom and only fitted it (Cruise Control) as an option on its own at quite a cost, I know I paid for it! There is still three Steering wheel Looms listed as well as many others on the EPC.

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 21:34
Found it :D

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ZTT/cruise_control/index.htm

Thanks Simon!

I don't recall seeing all that before.

I think there is still a small possibility that the wires are behind the heater controls.

Only wayto find out is to have a look!

Simon
2nd March 2007, 21:41
If (and it's a big IF) you have pretty much most of the prerequisitie parts fitted, there may be chance your car can have cruise enabled on T4.

If for example, a car had most of the cruise bits fitted, but without the steering wheel controls, master switch let's say. Then the ZCS codes would possibly be set to include cruise as an option on T4. Therefore, by fitting the missing bits and asking a dealer to put the car on T4 to enable cruise, you should in theory have cruise.

This is only in theory though... and the proof of the pudding (as always) is the driving... (sorry eating...) :driving::)

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 22:07
If (and it's a big IF) you have pretty much most of the prerequisitie parts fitted, there may be chance your car can have cruise enabled on T4.

If for example, a car had most of the cruise bits fitted, but without the steering wheel controls, master switch let's say. Then the ZCS codes would possibly be set to include cruise as an option on T4. Therefore, by fitting the missing bits and asking a dealer to put the car on T4 to enable cruise, you should in theory have cruise.

This is only in theory though... and the proof of the pudding (as always) is the driving... (sorry eating...) :driving::)

All I want to see behind the heater controls is 2 unused wires of the correct colour :D

I'm not really interested in retro fitting CC - I just want to use the CC steering controls.

Simon
2nd March 2007, 22:10
All I want to see behind the heater controls is 2 unused wires of the correct colour :D

I'm not really interested in retro fitting CC - I just want to use the CC steering controls.

Can I be nosey and ask what you want them for? You planning on having two stereos to control? :D

JohnDotCom
2nd March 2007, 22:20
No Its for a New Alternative Fuel switch, for fuel only found in SuperMarket Filling Stations......Silicone!

CDTi
2nd March 2007, 22:24
Can I be nosey and ask what you want them for? You planning on having two stereos to control? :D

Nose away :D

I'm just about to embark on a carputer install (probably start a thread in ICE about it).

I'm going to use the radio controls for controlling the PC audio and I was hoping to use the CC controls for something like controlling the motorised screen i.e. screen in/screen out etc

Simon
2nd March 2007, 22:30
Very cool. I like the idea.

Let us know how it progresses. I suppose you could always wire your own steering wheel switches to the carputer if all else fails. Perhaps linked to a relay box that translates the button presses into either a serial comm signal or USB signal to control some aspect of the PC...?

CDTi
3rd March 2007, 17:06
I suppose you could always wire your own steering wheel switches to the carputer if all else fails. Perhaps linked to a relay box that translates the button presses into either a serial comm signal or USB signal to control some aspect of the PC...?

Have a look at post 39 here, Simon:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=36562#post36562.

It outlines my plans.

Simon
3rd March 2007, 19:09
It becomes clear now! :)

Note to self: read all threads properly :)