PDA

View Full Version : What to use before adding new badges?

derekosb
21st April 2009, 10:36
Hi all.

I have bought some torpedoes and the original boot badge, having swapped my boot handle for the original "Rover" embossed one.

I wanted to give the paintwork a thorough clean before sticking on the badges with double sided foam tape and would like some opinions on what is best to use?

I have never used clay (never even heard of it till I joined the club) and was therefore planning to use some tar remover as it is a product I have used before and felt gave me a smooth finish to the paintwork.

However, reading about the wonders of clay would that do the job better?

Any opinions welcome.:lol:

Thanks,

Derek

Ken
21st April 2009, 10:39
To be honest I just used a bit of polish and cleaned up the area. :lol:

Raistlin
21st April 2009, 10:49
I used some brake cleaner to good effect.

deano78
21st April 2009, 11:00
tar remover will do the trick. claying is very good but the qd used to lubricate may leave silicones behind. ideally, clay the area then wipe with tar remover. that'll leave it ultra clean and free from contaminants.

zojosc
21st April 2009, 11:05
I used surgical spirit to remove polish and grease when I fitted some badges and they are still secure.

GERFIX
21st April 2009, 11:12
All the above sound good. All you are really wanting to do is remove any contaminants from the paintwork to give a good clean surface.

derekosb
21st April 2009, 11:49
Excellent, and many thanks for all the quick responses.

Yeah, all I really want is to have the surface clean enough to make sure I get the best adhesion possible. Tar Remover seems most likely then as I have some in the garage.

However, generally is claying worthwhile doing?

Derek

deano78
21st April 2009, 13:22
absolutley. your cars never truly clean unless its been clayed. even a clean looking car can clog clay up with muck.

derekosb
21st April 2009, 15:27
Okay, thanks Deano.

What clay products do you recommend as I really know nothing here and am a bit worried about spending what is a lot of money (when you do not do anything more than wash the car with soapy water) on a bar of clay.

Halfords price seems to start at £20 for their own brand and £24 for Meguiars.

ebay prices are a little better. Is there any recommendations you can make?

Thanks

Derek

deano78
21st April 2009, 16:14
the megs clay kit is a good starting point. or you can try serious performance fine clay (www.seriousperformance.co.uk) and use a shampoo and water solution as lube. Alternatively there's the hightly rated bilt hamber auto clay that uses water as lube (http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html). after claying stick a decent wax or sealant down and youll be amazed at the difference.

StevenWilliams
21st April 2009, 16:40
I bought a Meguiars kit from Halfords a year ago and all I can say is WOW. It makes a heck of a difference. If you polish and use a good wax afterwards it will look and feel like glass. Also it makes the grime just wash off.

Next time I'll just buy a clay bar and mix up a soap and water solution to save money.

StevenWilliams
21st April 2009, 16:47
the megs clay kit is a good starting point. or you can try serious performance fine clay (www.seriousperformance.co.uk) and use a shampoo and water solution as lube. Alternatively there's the hightly rated bilt hamber auto clay that uses water as lube (http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html). after claying stick a decent wax or sealant down and youll be amazed at the difference.

What do you recomend as the best clay to get?

I'm not sure what the difference between the medium and fine clay is?

deano78
21st April 2009, 17:12
is goes on how abrasive it is. if your car is heavily contaminated, like iron filings from railway lines, you'll need a more aggresive clay but these leave marring and fine scratches of their own that will need machining out. go with a fine clay and see how you get on. after you've clayed put your hand in a sandwich bag (helps differentiate between the ridges in your fingers and the actual contamination) and feel the paint,if its still rough its heavily contaminated. used loads of lube when claying and the surface is clean when the clay moves freely and you cant hear anything, when the clay is picking up contaminants youll hear a noise like russling.

StevenWilliams
21st April 2009, 17:25
Thanks deano78