PDA

View Full Version : removing traffic film and tar

StevenWilliams
21st April 2009, 16:46
Whats the best stuff for removing the traffic film and tar spots that inevitably end up on the car after a drive on a hot day?

I've seen some that are based on citric acid but I don't want to hurt the chrome trim etc..

deano78
21st April 2009, 17:17
TFRs espescially strong ones could be a minefield for us 75 owners as you rightly point out, the chrome is susseptable (sp) to heavy chemicals. I know that aluminium running boards on bmw X5s deteriorate badly when hit with strong TFR. If you wash and clay your car and follow with a good wax (finish kare 1000p is awesome for performance and value for money) it should come off easy during a wash. for tar spots, if you can try and locate an autosmart dealer who'll sell to the public and get some TARDIS. its brilliant for tar spots, i've used it on tar thats welded itself to cars and TARDIS gets rid of it. its about 20quid for 5 litres. Autoglym tar remover is ok but not as good or as cost effective as buying in a bulk can.

StevenWilliams
21st April 2009, 17:40
Thanks.

I'll see if I can find somewhere that will sell TARDIS.

I've noticed that around the wheel arches and the points of the car where the mudguards would protect (If I had them) are getting little bits of tar stuck to the paintwork along with the bonnet.

Only a small amount now and most of it comes off with some good rubbing but why rub when you can buy a chemical for the job. :lol:

I use tutlewax at the moment after each polish and while it's OK it does not seem very good at protecting the car for long if it rains and to be honest does not prevent watermarks in any way. The water just stays on the car as if the wax is not there.

Dave***t
23rd April 2009, 07:07
It's probably not a bad idea to use a proper product instead of hard rubbing, even if the latter works. Imagine that little bits of tar/debris are coming off as you rub - you're then rubbing them hard against the paint surrounding the remaining deposit.

I've found AG intensive tar remover to be ok, but I always try to be really careful/gentle when using it.

windrush
23rd April 2009, 07:37
I have used WD40 its an oil so wont scratch

StevenWilliams
23rd April 2009, 08:54
I have used WD40 its an oil so wont scratch

Not that makes a lot of sense. It's also very cheap.

empsburna
24th April 2009, 22:18
Tardis direct from the autosmart rep is around £14.

I've used a lot of Tar removers and this beats them all by far!

StevenWilliams
24th April 2009, 23:30
Tardis direct from the autosmart rep is around £14.

I've used a lot of Tar removers and this beats them all by far!

Thanks for that. The cheapest I've found is £18 + postage.

empsburna
25th April 2009, 17:00
If you are ever in the area you can happily have a glug of mine

StevenWilliams
25th April 2009, 17:25
If you are ever in the area you can happily have a glug of mine

Thanks.

I'm going to try and find a local supplier over the next few days.

I'm going to get all the bits ready and then give the car a full back to showroom workout.

matlongfellow
12th May 2009, 18:36
The best thong by far for removing tar is preptone by autosmart spray it on leave for a minuite and then wipe with a cloth easy as that and really effective

eddybrown
13th May 2009, 12:57
How do you get in touch with your local Autosmart rep? Tardis and Preptone are both available from them, you can find Tardis on the internet but I think it's more expensive than going to your local rep.

deano78
13th May 2009, 19:31
How do you get in touch with your local Autosmart rep? Tardis and Preptone are both available from them, you can find Tardis on the internet but I think it's more expensive than going to your local rep.

their number will be on autosmarts website. get tardis if you can as it has emulsifiers in so it can be easily rinsed. preptone is ok but can be a pig to get rid of.