PDA

View Full Version : Alloy wheel cleaning

baxlin
23rd April 2009, 09:11
Since I've been dressing the tyres regularly I seem to have got a build up of black stains on the alloy wheels, which won't go with normal washing and wheel-brushing. I've done a search on here, and can find refurb threads, but not what to use to de-stain - I suppose it's brake dust as well as the pads are fairly new.

The car's regularly polished, and looks good - Autobalm hiding old swirl marks etc, but the wheels let it down a bit.

Any product/process recommendations?

TIA
Malcolm

StevenWilliams
23rd April 2009, 09:34
I use Carplan Wonder wheels. Cleans everything off. It's probably the best that's available to the general public and is very safe as long as you don't drink it. :D

EDIT: It also keeps winning awards by auto express, practical classic etc..

karl_683
23rd April 2009, 09:35
Have you tried Megs hot rims? Thats pretty good stuff shifts a lot of muck. Then follow up with ag srp and a sealant. That should get rid of the stains and help stop brake dust build up.

windrush
23rd April 2009, 09:50
Yes I am all for Megsuiars its about the best that I have tried wont do any damage either

Greeners
23rd April 2009, 09:51
Currenly using Simonize Wheel Gel (available from Tesco' Extra's), lovely pinky colour.

Takes off most sains wihout much fuss........like any wheel cleanr, don't let it dwell too long before rinsing.

CDTi
23rd April 2009, 09:53
I suggest removing the centre caps before using any kind of cleaning product as the caps can fade.

StevenWilliams
23rd April 2009, 10:04
I suggest removing the centre caps before using any kind of cleaning product as the caps can fade.

:iagree:

I remove the wheels completely from the car and clean each one individually.

That way you can get into the inside of the wheel and it makes it easier to put a wheel wax on to protect the finish after cleaning.

I have also started to lacquer the inside of the wheels as they are not lacquered when sent from the factory. Apart from making them look better it makes the cleaning a lot easier.

baxlin
23rd April 2009, 10:22
Thanks for all the info, chaps, just got to find the time to do them now!!
Malcolm

deano78
23rd April 2009, 19:23
I use Carplan Wonder wheels. Cleans everything off. It's probably the best that's available to the general public and is very safe as long as you don't drink it. :D

EDIT: It also keeps winning awards by auto express, practical classic etc..

wonder wheels is extremly acidic. if you hve any damage at all to your wheels please be very careful and dilute if needs be. drop a splodge on the concrete next time you're out and watch what happens.:eek:

pmessling
23rd April 2009, 19:27
After years of using wonderwheel and seeing the effects as said acidic i have swapped to billberry, excellent stuff and safe to use, neat, or diluted, and smells nice as well.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/bilberry-wheel-cleaner-5-litre/prod_504.html

StevenWilliams
23rd April 2009, 20:19
If your alloys are undamaged then wonder wheels is great.
The point is you should only need to clean them properly once. After that you should protect them with something that creats a barrier between the alloy and the dust. A good alloy wax is ideal.

I only have to clean mine with turtle wax car shampoo now and all teh junk drops off. After this I re-wax and it's all clean and shiny.

baxlin
24th April 2009, 10:37
wonder wheels is extremly acidic. if you hve any damage at all to your wheels please be very careful and dilute if needs be. drop a splodge on the concrete next time you're out and watch what happens.:eek:

Oops.

I was in Halfrauds yesterday and as this was the only one they had that had been menched on here, I bought it, and used it on 2 wheels last evening. Fortunately neither is scuffed/damaged, and I washed it off well, but I reckon I'll dilute it for the other two.

I did spill some on the concrete drive, so I'll have a look to see what it's done!

I must say it's done an excellent job of getting all the crud off though.

Malcolm

empsburna
24th April 2009, 22:23
Wonder wheels is really a last resort.

I can't stand to be within 50 yards off the stuff, I cough uncontrollably!