PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Mops?

WeeMan
9th May 2009, 21:08
:D After breaking my 2nd cruddy car polisher from Hellfrauds i've bought a 2100W Bosch angle grinder from the police auctions!. Got transformer, now all I need is some pointers as to where I would get a good polishing mop for it.:confused:

StevenWilliams
9th May 2009, 21:39
:D After breaking my 2nd cruddy car polisher from Hellfrauds i've bought a 2100W Bosch angle grinder from the police auctions!. Got transformer, now all I need is some pointers as to where I would get a good polishing mop for it.:confused:

Does the angle grinder have speed control?

You could quite easily rip the paint clean off using an angle grinder with a polishing head on. It will spin way to fast.

Also as it will only spin in circles it is not ideal and for pro's only. A double action unit is much safer as it spins and 'wobbles' making it much easier to use.

zojosc
9th May 2009, 22:33
Although polishers look like angle grinders, they run at a much lower speed and grinders should not be used as polishers if you value your car and paintwork.

Andy. (Toolhire Manager)

empsburna
9th May 2009, 22:34
Angle grinder starting speed is faster than my makita at full tilt, and i've never needed to go past speed 3 out of the 6 available!

My advice would be to put it on eBay and pick up a used Porter Cable/Megs G220/UDM

Dragrad
9th May 2009, 23:29
You could also use a Metabo Sxe450 Duo or the new Turbo version. Although sold as a sander, it does, in kit form, come with 2 polishing heads and a polishing mop. Variable speed and dual Random orbit. Superb machine, several car restorers use them to polish their cars.

Also comes with 3 year's warranty :D

As stated previously... Do Not use a grinder, far too fast :(

Greeners
10th May 2009, 06:43
Has anyone pointed out that a grinder/ sander is too fast yet...?

:getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::D

StevenWilliams
10th May 2009, 07:19
Has anyone pointed out that a grinder/ sander is too fast yet...?

:getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::D

Damn. Someone should have mentioned that :bowdown::bowdown:

Greeners
10th May 2009, 07:34
If you want a cheap unit, thry Silverline Orange......

WeeMan
10th May 2009, 16:14
:confused: Someone mentioned that the grinder may be a bit fast, have any of you heard this wicked rumour before?? lol. THANKS! :D

deano78
10th May 2009, 16:58
its not a rumour. normal rotary speeds for paint correction range from 600-1800rpm (ish) and its adjustable for spreading, working and refining process. angle grinders can have single speeds of 11000rpm. it will burn your paint right off your car.

kevin
10th May 2009, 18:07
it will burn your paint right off your car.

so thats how you get a silver car.:getmecoat::D

black olive
10th May 2009, 18:07
particularly if fitted with a grinding disc- warning- may create swirls

StevenWilliams
10th May 2009, 18:35
A hair would cause swirls at 11,000 PRM :)

WeeMan
14th May 2009, 12:14
:eek: OMG!!! ..... found my transformer in the hut and had a "start" of grinder, bloomin Nora! I recon it would keep a ship upright, too powerfull was un understatement!.
So.......... anyone looking for an angle grinder? lol

Savings tin now started for a REAL polisher. Thanks for all the advice folks.

stocktake
14th May 2009, 14:22
Nobody told him to take the blade off I See

Greeners
14th May 2009, 15:59
here you go.... (http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Silverline_Silverstorm_Rotary_Polisher_1.html#a129 659)

Simondi
14th May 2009, 18:52
:eek: OMG!!! ..... found my transformer in the hut .

Was it an autobot or a deceptacon?:D

WeeMan
15th May 2009, 09:49
;) Thanks, will go for the Silverline.

:D ... and no, it wasn't an autobot or a deceptacon....it was a Roverron!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing33.gif

WeeMan
25th May 2009, 21:43
:D YIPEE!!!...... Bought a Sealy 6 speed polisher today (ebay), no instructions of course, so would be gratefull for a "how-to polish without burning it" if anyones up to it.

:bowdown: Thanks for all the help during this venture into the unknown. Used one about 2 years ago (under close supervision).

Greeners
26th May 2009, 06:46
:D YIPEE!!!...... Bought a Sealy 6 speed polisher today (ebay), no instructions of course, so would be gratefull for a "how-to polish without burning it" if anyones up to it.

:bowdown: Thanks for all the help during this venture into the unknown. Used one about 2 years ago (under close supervision).

have a read of this (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024&goto=newpost)

WeeMan
28th May 2009, 09:47
:D Thanks Greeners, had a go at the Mrs Lantra while she was out (just in case!), came up a treat.

Devilish
11th June 2009, 23:43
so thats how you get a silver car.:getmecoat::D

I like it :D:D:D