PDA

View Full Version : Building-in a tomtom 710 / 910

Raistlin
10th March 2007, 18:16
Looking for inspiration here chaps please.

I like the idea of the TOMTOM 710 or 910 as it would obviate the need for both my PDA bracket and my Parrot handsfree.

The PDA in a sun-visor was a neat idea but not what I want.

The problem is, I want to build it in somehow so that it does not fall into the hands of the local chavvery and is available at all times both for navigation and for bluetooth hands-free.

The question is, where and how?

Anybody have any ideas please?

Nomis
10th March 2007, 20:31
I would be interested also. I have the pda fitted in the visor and its pretty good but its an older unit and it takes an age to lock onto the sats. I also have a problem where it charges sometimes and not others so must have a broken wire somewhere.

I will try and sort it tomorrow but really fancy a newer setup. I would really like the highline setup but that's dated isn't it? Plus not got the money for that.

mach1rob
10th March 2007, 21:33
I've been having a mull over the idea over a beer or two, and then it hit me (not the beer or SWAMBO!) but this :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/mach1rob/Rover/tomtomidea.jpg

Raistlin
10th March 2007, 22:08
OK ROb

When can you start?

Kandyman
10th March 2007, 22:14
Didn't Alex of someone guild a sat nav in to the air vent ?

Rich
11th March 2007, 05:59
Waj - a new GPS unit should speed up the lockon times, leaving you with a stable install once again. Bear in mind a TomTom will take as long as any other GPS device to lock on, their QuickFix patch will speed things up a bit though.

Paul - Rob's suggestion is the only place a GO sized unit can go to stop people nicking it, bear in mind the device will need to be mounted from the rear to stop chav et al prising it out from the front of the dash.

Not sure Alex ever got round to actually mounting his sat nav behind the vent did he? I remember various threads a year or so ago, did it materialise though?

One serious advantage to a permanent mounted solution (including HiLine) is that it's always there, ready to go, no mounts to attach, no devices to attach to mounts, no wires, etc, start the car and drive :)

Nomis
11th March 2007, 07:42
[QUOTE=Rich;38733]Waj - a new GPS unit should speed up the lockon times, leaving you with a stable install once again. Bear in mind a TomTom will take as long as any other GPS device to lock on, their QuickFix patch will speed things up a bit though.

Mine is a mitac mio and has a built in gps receiver so you cant add an external one to mine. Its a dated one too and takes about 10 times longer than my wifes tom tom one which gets one almost immediately and gets one indoors also where mine will never get one unless outside.

Wish I had the money for highline but thats not possible at the moment.

Raistlin
11th March 2007, 08:14
Waj - a new GPS unit should speed up the lockon times, leaving you with a stable install once again. Bear in mind a TomTom will take as long as any other GPS device to lock on, their QuickFix patch will speed things up a bit though.

Paul - Rob's suggestion is the only place a GO sized unit can go to stop people nicking it, bear in mind the device will need to be mounted from the rear to stop chav et al prising it out from the front of the dash.

Not sure Alex ever got round to actually mounting his sat nav behind the vent did he? I remember various threads a year or so ago, did it materialise though?

One serious advantage to a permanent mounted solution (including HiLine) is that it's always there, ready to go, no mounts to attach, no devices to attach to mounts, no wires, etc, start the car and drive :)

That would mean the dash coming out then :(

Alex30013k
11th March 2007, 08:38
http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/500/060316_194107.jpg
http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/500/060316_201221.jpg

But in the end i just stuck it on the out side,

But i would use the passengers vent,

Raistlin
11th March 2007, 08:41
Hi Alex

WHy would you use the passenger's vent please?

Rich
11th March 2007, 09:26
Steering wheel might block your view of the display if mounted on the drivers side?

Looks like you'll only need to take out that small section of dash there Paul. I'm sure it won't take Rob long at all :laughing2:

mach1rob
11th March 2007, 09:32
You've seen my big hammer and angle grinder then Rich? :D

I had a mate come round for me to mesh the grille on his Civic, you should have seen the look on his face as I pulled out the angle grinder :rofl:

Raistlin
11th March 2007, 09:32
Steering wheel might block your view of the display if mounted on the drivers side?

Looks like you'll only need to take out that small section of dash there Paul. I'm sure it won't take Rob long at all :laughing2:

Plus, of course, I'd save my air-vent ;)

Is it possible to get that smaller part of the dash out easily?

mach1rob
11th March 2007, 09:35
Yeah not too hard Paul!

http://www.ergo.co.uk/Images/global/mains/crowbar.jpg

baxlin
11th March 2007, 12:03
In front of/blocking the driver's side cubby hole any good?

Raistlin
11th March 2007, 12:15
In front of/blocking the driver's side cubby hole any good?

I thought of that but I think it's probably too far from the normal line of sight

Alex30013k
12th March 2007, 05:23
Yeah i found out that as were the one that drives the car the most, we should have "are" vent,

When i had my sat nav stuck onto my drivers vent, i had to keep taking it off just so i could have some fresh air...

Raistlin
14th March 2007, 16:20
Interestingly, having just bought my Tomtom, they have told me that there is a "permanent car dock" becoming available for it in April.

Apparently the kit contains a box of gubbins not unlike the Parrot control box which will allow the Tomtom to talk throught the car stereo and will also mute the stereo both for instructions and the phone.

In addition, the unit will automatically switch on and off with the car's ignition.

Not sure about any security for it but at the moment, the cubby above the LSM is really looking like a good location, even though I wasn't keen initially.

The remote control is a radio device so can be fixed conveniently to hand, thus saving you having to keep poking the box with a stubby finger ;)

Simon
14th March 2007, 16:44
Some ideas for locations:

1. "Hanging" from the front interior light cluster. You'd just glance at it as you would you're rear-view mirror. Could be on a hinge/pivot to retract upwards out of obvious view and to adjust viewing angle.

2. Remove ash tray and construct a surround to fit it just infront of the gear lever. A bit more distracting tho as it's not in any normal line-of-sight.

3. (The cleverest and most difficult). Use the cars own IPK centre display, just remove the upper screen and replace with TomTom unit. You'd obviously lose all important data and information given by this screen :oops: but you'd have a seemless and integrated screen that no one would bat an eye lid at. :D

Rich
14th March 2007, 18:04
The dock kits for TTG are as you said, the equivilent of the Parrot kit.

http://www.media-store24.de/shopbilder/te-2762045.jpg

ZERO security options on it though, it's purely an ICE integration kit and also includes a remote gps antenna, iso harness, etc.

In stock at £102 on Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Permanent-Docking-Kit-300/dp/B0009EPZO8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1/203-6720663-0969548

Raistlin
14th March 2007, 20:00
The dock kits for TTG are as you said, the equivilent of the Parrot kit.

http://www.media-store24.de/shopbilder/te-2762045.jpg

ZERO security options on it though, it's purely an ICE integration kit and also includes a remote gps antenna, iso harness, etc.

In stock at £102 on Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Permanent-Docking-Kit-300/dp/B0009EPZO8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1/203-6720663-0969548

That is for the 500 and 700 Rich

The one for the 510 / 710 is due for release next month

Rich
14th March 2007, 20:06
Hmmm, I thought the 3/5/7 refered to the "series", so it'd fit a 700, 710, 720 etc. Are the bases all different then??

Raistlin
14th March 2007, 22:22
Yes the 510 and 500 are completely different :(

JohnDotCom
14th March 2007, 22:29
As are the 700 & 710's etc Im afraid, means more money each time you upgrade!

Raistlin
14th March 2007, 22:38
As are the 700 & 710's etc Im afraid, means more money each time you upgrade!

Yes - but the 510 is the same as the 710 a nd the 500 and 700 match ;)

JohnDotCom
14th March 2007, 22:42
Yes - but the 510 is the same as the 710 a nd the 500 and 700 match ;)
Every One is a Comedian Tonight! :laughing2:

But yes Correct, I'll give you that one!

Raistlin
14th March 2007, 22:43
Every One is a Comedian Tonight! :laughing2:

But yes Correct, I'll give you that one!

SOrry John - I was trying for ironic