PDA

View Full Version : Towing and clutch problems

davecw000
18th May 2009, 11:17
Anyone had problem with their clutch when towing in reverse – Was doing some towing recently and clutch seems to get very hot very quick – towing the boat is absolutely fine (1300 Kgs) but reversing any distance is causing a concern, not sure the clutch is up to it.

Have read on some caravan sites where other people are complaining about the same thing – Seems that since clutches no longer have asbestos in them they are not quite as good.

Anyone else had any problems?

Regards

David

Hampton Caught
18th May 2009, 11:33
Dave,

My immediate thought concerns the trailer brakes. I'm presuming that a boat that heavy would have over-run brakes and these should disengage when the trailer is reversed, as a caravan's would. The brakes can engage when the trailer is reversed up an incline, which may be the case with a slipway.

Given the nature of the way the brakes work and the environment they are used in (salty or fresh water, they're both aggressive), I'd strip the brakes down and grease all the moving parts that need greasing.

My only other thought is that often when reversing, drivers will keep the speed down by slipping the clutch but keeping the revs up, which works the clutch surfaces hard. Dropping the revs and taking your foot off the clutch may help. I used to tow with a Discovery and the low ratio box was useful for manoeuvring without slipping the clutch - sadly not an option on our cars!

Hope that helps, and let us know what you discover

Steve

davecw000
18th May 2009, 11:45
Steve

Thanks for that.

Trailer just serviced so breaks etc OK.

Your right about the revs and dipping the clutch - guilty as charged - But when I searched on-line about this, I was supprised to find so many people complaining about how long clutches seem to last in new cars. But as you say I guess it also depends upon how experienced at towing people are - I'm not....

David