PDA

View Full Version : Child booster seat for the middle of 75 tourer

ikorodu
26th May 2009, 14:48
Hi all,

Another new arrival now means that I need to fit 3 child seats in the back of the 75 tourer.

I have a new born in a rear facing seat in the rear on the passenger side. Behind the driver is a booster with a back for our 2.5 year old, what I need now is a narrow booster seat either with or without a back for our 5 year old.

Can any one with experience of this type of child seat lay out in a 75 tourer let me have their solutions/ideas please?

Noises are being made about having to get rid of the 75 if this problem can not be sorted pretty quick!:mad:

Thanks all,

Rob

Simon
26th May 2009, 15:05
I have a new born in a rear facing seat on the passenger side.

Just want to highlight this sentence - I presume this seat too is in the rear of the car? Just want to clarify your sentence before you get jumped on about having a rear-facing seat in the front of the car ;)

ikorodu
26th May 2009, 15:09
Just want to highlight this sentence - I presume this seat too is in the rear of the car? Just want to clarify your sentence before you get jumped on about having a rear-facing seat in the front of the car ;)

Yes Simon, all three are in the rear of the car hence the need for the middle one to be narrow.

Have edited original post to be more descriptive.

Rob

CMPQS
26th May 2009, 21:59
Rob,

I was in the same position a few months ago, albeit in a ZT saloon not a tourer & posted the question on here under the title Save my Zt from the wife & kids.

I could fit three seats/boosters across the back but they would not sit properly because of the seat base shape.

My local car seat supplier tried very hard (they only sell car seats & accessories) trying all sorts of different combinations & seat types but could not find a solution that worked with the different ages. My kids are 9, 7 & 4 months now. The older two are both too short to sit without a seat of some description. From memory the height is 135cm.

I was told that it is acceptable in law if you cannot get 3 seats across the back to have the oldest in the middle using the normal seat belt. I decided that this was still not the solution I wanted as the oldest isn't tall enough to use the seatbelt comfortably & determined to avoid getting rid & buying a people carrier I had several goes at hacking various types of foam to shape to fit in the seat squab to flatten the seat all the way across so three seats would fit.

I couldn't make this work, not enough patience & I couldn't get the seats to sit properly, so I made a narrow foam based seat booster that the oldest sits on in the middle. It is a little tight across the back but works better than nothing or having 3 incorrectly fitted seats.

I found this to be the best solution. Hope this helps.

CMPQS

lady zed
26th May 2009, 22:19
Hi all,

Another new arrival now means that I need to fit 3 child seats in the back of the 75 tourer.

I have a new born in a rear facing seat in the rear on the passenger side. Behind the driver is a booster with a back for our 2.5 year old, what I need now is a narrow booster seat either with or without a back for our 5 year old.

Can any one with experience of this type of child seat lay out in a 75 tourer let me have their solutions/ideas please?

Noises are being made about having to get rid of the 75 if this problem can not be sorted pretty quick!:mad:

Thanks all,

Rob

If Mum is slim she could sit in the back and new born could go in the front although this would obviously involve a trip to a garage to have the air bag turned off. Or alternatively the 5 year old could ride up front with Daddy. Unless you make modifications to any seat, unfortunately you won't fit 3 in the back.

WEB1L
27th May 2009, 15:30
We had the same problems trying to get upto 4 car seats in a number of our cars as well as the dog (we have a 7 seater as well).

Whilst on holiday a couple of years ago we found a pram/nursery shop and they sold small slim line car booster seats at about £5.00 each. This was in skegness but if you contact some nursery shops I assume you can buy them still.

Jon

ikorodu
28th May 2009, 10:08
thanks all for the replies so far. I'll try to find the narrowest booster that I can over the weekend. It would be a real shame to have to loose the 75 over this. I'm really very surprised that this issue is not addressed by more manufacturers. Speaking to people at work even those with new mondeos or Audi A4s have the same issue.

Rob

PS. I did find this http://www.multimac.co.uk/ and have considered it, but a a around £1400 for the setup with a baby seat, I think not.

WeeMan
28th May 2009, 10:23
:mad: Lose the 75!!!! Have you considered adoption? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cartoon/1236.gif