PDA

View Full Version : Quick dry method required.

mykl
6th November 2006, 18:47
Hi to all the new site looks good. :)

Any idea's on a quick dry method for my interior??? :confused:

I've been through the blocked plenum syndrome...now clear and sorted.

I'm left with a damp interior that mists internally on the screens.

Unfortunatey my ZT won't fit in the garage so it's difficult to get doors open and heat in.

I did think of hiring a dehumidifier but I wondered if that might do damage to some components, not that I can think of any that actually like water.

All idea's would be welcome.

mykl

Kandyman
6th November 2006, 20:16
Hi mykl and welcome :)

Sorry all i can think of at the moment is driving the car with the windows and AC turned on http://www.xerces.com/images/smilies/533.gif

Mike
6th November 2006, 20:17
I would go with the dehumidifier in short bursts. Are you sure you haven't got water in the carpets?

Kandyman
6th November 2006, 20:22
Have a look at www.clean-image.co.uk/interior.htm they offer a Super Dry Interior where they offer a 1h our blow dry or overnight dehumidifier.
Might be worth a chat with them or one which is near by to you.

TimO
6th November 2006, 22:16
I had a similar problem this time last year. I found the best way was to soak up as much as possible with 'good quality' kitchen towel (loads of it) and drive around with the aircon on full heat. Very uncomfortable but it works.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Tim

mykl
7th November 2006, 10:12
I would go with the dehumidifier in short bursts. Are you sure you haven't got water in the carpets?
:)

Mike

Thanks

Carpets seem to be okay just a slight damp feel first thing in the morning.

I think the advice from TimO about aircon on high seems to be working. I have driven 12 miles to work and car currently has no moisture apparent on the screen.

Having said that the overnight stand seems to be the worst. First thing this morning back screen was heavily condensated inside, front and sides were okay until I switched on screen demist, then misted and demisted within 30 secs, back screen took 15mins to be totally clear.

Am I expecting too much ?.........this is my first autumn with the car

Thanks Simon W, TimO, Kandyman for your thoughts and advice

mykl

TimO
7th November 2006, 21:01
Hi mykl, I know this maybe a little obvious but make sure your aircon is NOT on recirculate as this will keep the moisture in the car. It takes a while to fully dry out your interior but bear with it.
Just a thought, take the family for a long 'hot' drive this coming weekend :D

Cheers

Tim

Tatts
7th November 2006, 21:06
Is it possible (and safe) to leave all 4 windows open just a crack overnight? Let the air circulate a bit?

Obviously have to check the weather forecast, pointless doing it if it's going to rain.

mikesnaith
8th November 2006, 11:35
hi there had similar prob with a rover 800 a few years ago

dehumidifier and fan heater over night cured problem

but leave the windows open by a knats u now wot otherwise its like a sauna when u get in the following morning
either that or make sure your swimming trunks are clean lol

hope this helps

mykl
8th November 2006, 11:36
Hi mykl, I know this maybe a little obvious but make sure your aircon is NOT on recirculate as this will keep the moisture in the car. It takes a while to fully dry out your interior but bear with it.
Just a thought, take the family for a long 'hot' drive this coming weekend :D

Cheers

Tim

Tim

I tend to run the A/C on auto.

Within the symbol displayed for auto, it does show the recirculation arrow.

Does that mean I have recirc on ??? :confused:

mykl

Mike
8th November 2006, 11:49
Tim

Within the symbol displayed for auto, it does show the recirculation arrow.

Does that mean I have recirc on ??? :confused:

mykl

Yes! Turn recirc off using the button and things should get better a lot quicker :)

mykl
8th November 2006, 11:57
Yes! Turn recirc off using the button and things should get better a lot quicker :)

Mike

Thanks will give this a try shortly as I am just going out.

mykl

mykl
8th November 2006, 12:46
Confused !!!!!! :confused:

Select Auto A/C recirc is on.

Now select recirc button arrow dissappears from symbol in the auto box.

Recirc green light on the button is on, although symbol does not show arrow.

Press recirc again green light goes, out no symbol in the auto box.

So, should I be looking for no recirc arrow and no green light on recirc button.

Why am I making this so difficult?????????????????????? :confused:

mykl

GreyGhost
8th November 2006, 13:54
A/C on Auto.
Press recirc, recirc light on auto light off.
Turn recirc off, Auto light does not come on "atomatically" the A/C stays in manual mode.
Press Auto to re-engage auto mode.
If you make any changes apart from temperature when in auto mode the auto light goes off and you are in manual mode.

That's it.

Mike
8th November 2006, 14:00
Confused !!!!!! :confused:

Select Auto A/C recirc is on.

Now select recirc button arrow dissappears from symbol in the auto box.

Recirc green light on the button is on, although symbol does not show arrow.

Press recirc again green light goes, out no symbol in the auto box.

So, should I be looking for no recirc arrow and no green light on recirc button.

Why am I making this so difficult?????????????????????? :confused:

mykl

Yes get it where no recirc arrow and no green light :)

mykl
8th November 2006, 14:07
Yes get it where no recirc arrow and no green light :)

All

Many thanks for your help and input.

I'm looking forward to a dry car.

mykl

windrush
15th November 2006, 07:46
I would go with the dehumidifier I use one in my caravan over the winter and it works a treat

Keith
15th November 2006, 11:27
This is going to a bit ott and not suitable for the drivers side but I would get the passenger carpet up off the floor as best as poss. and the sound proofing as well for as long as poss so air can get to all sides it will dry a lot quicker like that you could space it out with polystyrene packing etc

mykl
15th November 2006, 15:27
As the thread has been bumped an update.

I do now have a dry interior.:) :D

For sure initially it was the plenum drain blocked.

Moisture inside of the car was being recirculated due to my mis-understanding the A/C. controls

So took all of the advice and ran the car with interior temp high, no recirc on.

The rest is history.

mykl

andrewmsteve
16th November 2006, 11:41
Hi Did you change the pollen filter as holds agreat deal of water and should be changed also run the air con untill the car dries out you should be ok

mykl
16th November 2006, 12:21
Hi Did you change the pollen filter as holds agreat deal of water and should be changed also run the air con untill the car dries out you should be ok

Funny you should say that as car is booked in for a service and I have requested that they change the pollen filter.

Even dryer car !!

Thanks for that

mykl