PDA

View Full Version : cdt Bang on hard braking

Paranoid Carlos
6th November 2006, 18:49
Hi folks, I have changed my front pads and discs (mintex) and I need a new set after a month, as I have suddenly got a horrible judder when braking when the discs are up to temprature (Very very p off):mad:
Took discs off again today all surfaces were spotless shiny metal (done with electric drill with wire brush attachment

I am 99% the other problem is because of the strut tops, but thought I would run it past you guys, Get a knock from lock to lock but now it happening when I brake harder than normal or sometimes when I accelerate with the wheels turned. tried all ball joints with a prybar and all seem fine strut tops don't appear bad but I have a spare so i'm going to change it anyway.

Anybody else had anything like this.

Mike
6th November 2006, 18:55
Not on the brakes but have had the knock lock to lock and changed the top mount suspension bearings.

It'd be worth getting your lower engine suspension mount(s) checked as they can go and then the engine can start bouncing off all sorts of things!

hth

Paranoid Carlos
6th November 2006, 19:06
Tried them and they seem ok.

The knock occurs, (bare with me here) when you brake a little harder than normal theres a knock when the suspension loads up at the point where the shocks are at full compression.

As for the brakes, this evening it was positively violent shaking braking from 40 mph really not very happy tonight.:( :(

Tatts
6th November 2006, 19:16
On a car I head 10 years ago, had something similar. No bang though, just vibration. Warped disks was the reason.

Paranoid Carlos
6th November 2006, 19:30
I have changed lots of discs over the last 15 years, I changed these because of rust and general wear, certainly no judder/vibes fine when they are cold but as soon as they are up to temprature the wheels shakes like mad in my hands if they cool (journey on motorway) they are fine till I brake from high speed then it's NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- again..

Mike
6th November 2006, 19:31
I agree. It sounds like your discs have been warped by heat. Can happen. Are they OEM or after market?

Paranoid Carlos
6th November 2006, 19:39
Mintex which to be fair I have never had a problem with and have always respected, but not after this, I inspected the boxes before opening for signs of dropping etc and all seemed ok.

I checked with a straightedge when they were cold, they were straight, got them up to temprature but couldn't get them off quck enough to check, but they were pretty cool by them

Paranoid Carlos
11th November 2006, 19:57
Fitted some more discs this afternoon (25 minutes from wheels up to wheels down, I know this job too well:mad: )

And guess what was staring at me when I took the n/s disc off, only a damn hole in the disc, Somebody has slipped up big time at quality control, the metal is the cheapest nastiest available, Sadly for mintex I ultrasonic check fan discs for jet engines and I know what cavitys in stuff can do when rotating a high speed, will post pics when I can but I am not going to bother with the shop, going straight to mintex this is a dodgy manafacturing problem.:mad: :mad:

Ken
11th November 2006, 20:00
I wouldn't like to be in their shoes let us know what happens

Ken

Paranoid Carlos
11th November 2006, 20:31
Difficult to see but there is an overheated section visible either side off the hole all the way around the disc, where the cavity tracks round. (took it to work to give it a sneaky test;) )

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/carl682/CIMG1311.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/carl682/CIMG1314.jpg

Pete
11th November 2006, 22:58
That's nasty. Give 'em hell! Do make sure your calipers are nice and tight though - I had a banging noise on a previous car and it was down to one of them being ever-so-slightly loose, casuing it to move when applying the brakes.

Paranoid Carlos
11th November 2006, 23:07
Banging hasn't been too bad the last couple of days but I did put rubber grease around the top mount bearing, worth a try.

As for the brakes I have sent Mintex an e-mail and photos will have to wait for a reply, could only find the adress for the marketing dept though.

Braking from 45 mph last night was scary, would have took them off today anyway, something had suddenly become very wrong. put replacements on this afternoon and it's a total different kettle of fish, nice positive pedal and no feeling like the tyres are going down.

We will wait and see

Kandyman
7th February 2007, 02:34
Hi paranoid,

Any update on this ?

Be good to see what Mintex came back saying.

JohnDotCom
7th February 2007, 08:23
Hi paranoid,

Any update on this ?

Be good to see what Mintex came back saying.
Someone was moaning about the quality of Mintex Discs & Pads on a Yahoo Forum, will see if I can find it & will post link.