PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if I am stupid

Ken
7th June 2009, 18:37
I am having a funny five minutes and to be honest this is probably a pipedream but I would like to know others views on doing something that 12 months ago I would have not even considered.

I am thinking about taking a year out and driving around the coast of England, Wales and Scotland. I am wondering about buying a motorhome and selling it when we return. We have worked out the costings and it would be affordable for us so there are no worries there. We are thinking of doing it because neither of us are getting any younger and its something we have always wanted to do. This would be a big step and we know all the pitfalls like living in a confined space, parking the van and servicing/breakdowns etc. Its around 10500 miles and along the coast road for about 95% of the way. On average its about 30 miles a day but we would probably drive for 100 miles and stay for two or three days in one spot. We have hired a van quite a few times and enjoyed it but the longest we have done that is three weeks and this would be for around a year or possibly even longer if we decided we were enjoying it. I know this is something that is done quite often by some people and they go to Europe and Asia but we are an ordinary stay at home couple without the adventurous side that some have so we have decided the uk is better for us and could if needed get home quickly. We are thinking of doing it starting July next year which will give us time to get things sorted at home and will mean we start and end in the summer. We would be in Scotland for the winter which is what we are aiming for and would have a base up there to take the winter months out if we wanted or needed to because of the weather.

Well am I daft, should I be certified? As I said this is probably a pipe dream and I being me will find a thousand reasons not to do it but at the moment and for the past few months it seems to make sense :shrug:

Have anyone else on here done it and enjoyed it, ended up divorced or hated it?

I am very interested in others opinions I have asked on motor caravan forums and getting the usual 'yes go for it' type of replies but I would also be interested of getting the views of people I know and trust so what better forum to ask on :lol:

I know I will get some replies taking the mick but I am also interested in serious replies as well :D

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is not a mid life crisis as mid life was 20 years ago :getmecoat:

Ken :lol:

Bernard LPG
7th June 2009, 18:49
Do it. Life's too short not to do the things that you want to.

billnick
7th June 2009, 18:56
Hi Ken, Life is to short, don't think about it, just do it:lol:, my cousin who is 65 has a canal boat and goes away for 4 months at a time and loves it.

regards bill.

Ragman
7th June 2009, 18:56
Do it, if all goes pear shaped you can call it quits but a really doubt it will, I cycled from John O'Groat to Lands End and an considering doing it the other way round in 2012 - 20 years after the original trip. If it is something you want to do, then do it, it is far better to do it and have some ups and downs along the way than not do it and then regret it.

Having an ambition and working to fulfil it is something many never get the chance (or have the imagination) to do - if you have the chance and the ambition then do it regardless of what the doom and gloom mongers will say.

That's my two pence worth over!

Jürgen
7th June 2009, 18:59
Ken, if you already did it for three weeks and did not start to hate it yet, I would give it a try. If it should turn out to be not enjoyable anymore some time during the long journey, you will have the option to end it sooner than planned. But I doubt it, as there are so many interesting places to see. :lol:

ceedy
7th June 2009, 19:02
You're not alone here ..... this or maybe Boat.. has been a Pipe dream for me for ages.

A nice big fully fitted yankee wagon .. and go anywhere, you can fit it :D.

Chris

windrush
7th June 2009, 19:04
Go for it Ken I am sure that knowing you that you will enjoy every minute come the ups and downs I am still caravanning at 76 going on 77 its a good life

StevenWilliams
7th June 2009, 19:04
Do it. I think if you have the opportunity to do it you should.
I spent a year in Crete and never regretted it. If I could do it again I would.

bl52krz
7th June 2009, 19:09
I am having a funny five minutes and to be honest this is probably a pipedream but I would like to know others views on doing something that 12 months ago I would have not even considered.

I am thinking about taking a year out and driving around the coast of England, Wales and Scotland. I am wondering about buying a motorhome and selling it when we return. We have worked out the costings and it would be affordable for us so there are no worries there. We are thinking of doing it because neither of us are getting any younger and its something we have always wanted to do. This would be a big step and we know all the pitfalls like living in a confined space, parking the van and servicing/breakdowns etc. Its around 10500 miles and along the coast road for about 95% of the way. On average its about 30 miles a day but we would probably drive for 100 miles and stay for two or three days in one spot. We have hired a van quite a few times and enjoyed it but the longest we have done that is three weeks and this would be for around a year or possibly even longer if we decided we were enjoying it. I know this is something that is done quite often by some people and they go to Europe and Asia but we are an ordinary stay at home couple without the adventurous side that some have so we have decided the uk is better for us and could if needed get home quickly. We are thinking of doing it starting July next year which will give us time to get things sorted at home and will mean we start and end in the summer. We would be in Scotland for the winter which is what we are aiming for and would have a base up there to take the winter months out if we wanted or needed to because of the weather.

Well am I daft, should I be certified? As I said this is probably a pipe dream and I being me will find a thousand reasons not to do it but at the moment and for the past few months it seems to make sense :shrug:

Have anyone else on here done it and enjoyed it, ended up divorced or hated it?

I am very interested in others opinions I have asked on motor caravan forums and getting the usual 'yes go for it' type of replies but I would also be interested of getting the views of people I know and trust so what better forum to ask on :lol:

I know I will get some replies taking the mick but I am also interested in serious replies as well :D

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is not a mid life crisis as mid life was 20 years ago :getmecoat:

hi ken. just go and do it. like me, i do not want to be on my "deathbed", horrible word, but comes to us all, and think:"****** hell, i wish i had done that, and that and that.
you never know what is round the corner, so get on and do it, you wont regret it i'm sure.
good luck.

GreyGhost
7th June 2009, 19:11
Go for it Ken, nothing like being on the road. You can always take a break at home if it gets to much, then go off again.
I toured SA for 6 months in a Renault 1100 and a two man tent. 1986. I have also done several two month camper van trips across France and Italy. Not to mention how much of the UK.
As long as you are properly central heated is the only thing I would say in UK.

Oh yes and can I come. :)

stocktake
7th June 2009, 19:13
If you have taken everything in to account Ken then you just have to do it but only you can decide if you can sacrifice the home comforts that you take for granted. ( Always hated the chemical toilet myself.), love my big TV and my comfy bed.

Pay particular attention to the plans you make if one of you is not so well, not being negative but nothing worse that being ill and a long way from home.

House keeper? sorted at home, if you decide to rent out, and why not? then you have to be prepared to not come home early.

If you are happy you have covered all aspects I think it would be a superb adventure, why not book tickets for shows and events around the country well in advance at best rates, best seats ( Edinburgh Festival etc). nice to be able to look forward to a show before you arrive all prebooked.

You could always book the odd night in a luxury hotel as a treat as well

sworks
7th June 2009, 19:19
If you have taken everything in to account Ken then you just have to do it but only you can decide if you can sacrifice the home comforts that you take for granted. ( Always hated the chemical toilet myself.), love my big TV and my comfy bed.

Pay particular attention to the plans you make if one of you is not so well, not being negative but nothing worse that being ill and a long way from home.

House keeper? sorted at home, if you decide to rent out, and why not? then you have to be prepared to not come home early.

If you are happy you have covered all aspects I think it would be a superb adventure, why not book tickets for shows and events around the country well in advance at best rates, best seats ( Edinburgh Festival etc). nice to be able to look forward to a show before you arrive all prebooked.

You could always book the odd night in a luxury hotel as a treat as well

Dave's reply pretty much covers everything, go for it Ken!

Rabett_Rover
7th June 2009, 19:20
It sounds a superb idea Ken. Go for it!

podge
7th June 2009, 20:00
Life can be a big "what if "for some folk, so go for it Ken,our time on this super planet is too short.We have just returned from Norfolk,we have never been there....shame on us! the North Norfolk Coast is a wonderful place...we are going back again as soon as we can.I will post some pictures.Some freinds of ours did a similar thing to your planned venture in a boat a few years ago........they loved it.Good Luck.P.

Ragman
7th June 2009, 20:07
This isn't a dress rehersal - if you want to do it, then do it.

Kandyman
7th June 2009, 20:10
Don't go uncle Ken I'll miss you :panic:
Go for it guys, it sounds like a great idea.

windrush
7th June 2009, 20:12
Don't go uncle Ken I'll miss you :panic:
Go for it guys, it sounds like a great idea.

We will all miss him Andy but a man has to do what he got to do:D:D:D

stocktake
7th June 2009, 20:24
Why will we miss him,???

Take yer lappy and get yer dongle out Ken. :D:D:D

JohnDotCom
7th June 2009, 21:13
Go and enjoy yourselves, :D
you both deserve it ken.
We expect a Photo update as you call in around the Country.

Jürgen
7th June 2009, 21:14

:wot: :lol:

StevenWilliams
7th June 2009, 21:17
Just remember. the roads on the Pembrokeshire coastline are not suitable for a lot of traffic as I used to love comming across campers stuck when I was a kid. :D:D

Ken
8th June 2009, 07:36
Thank you all very much :lol:

I never expected that sort of response I was expecting to be told to don't be so daft and settle down with the pension :o

You all make very valid points and one was one of us becoming ill. I have already sorted out health insurance that would get us both home with the van and also covers us for getting home by ambulance as well if required.

I have also looked into the telly with hard drive unit with a directional digital aerial as well of course. I already have a lap top and dongle so thats not a problem apart from poor signal areas. I was planning on doing a blog but could just do it on here if that would be ok with the team.

I know its over a year before we do it but I have had a look at van prices and for 20k a decent sized one could be bought which would have mileage of around 40k on. A decent service and an mot would do us for a year and membership of a the AA would back that up.

I like the idea of arranging it around things that are going on around the country and booking pitches and tickets in advance as well.

As I said earlier we would be doing about 100 miles and then staying for two or three days in one spot. This is where our bus passes would come into play so getting around the local area would be free.

Thanks to all of you and anymore thoughts please post them up.

Ken
8th June 2009, 07:45
Oh yes and can I come. :)

No you can't :mad: :lol:

Ken
8th June 2009, 07:48
Go and enjoy yourselves, :D
you both deserve it ken.

We will be around Betsy whats its name for a few days so would pop over John :lol:

JohnDotCom
8th June 2009, 07:52
English (OAP) bus Passes are not Valid in Wales but you can purchase a weekly ticket in different Locations which saves a lot.
But so much to see and do in this Lovely country Ken,
hope to "bump" into you whilst here. ;)

EDIT:

Not far away at all. Would come over to you if easier that would be lovely to see you both.

baxlin
8th June 2009, 09:30
This is where our bus passes would come into play so getting around the local area would be free.

Thanks to all of you and anymore thoughts please post them up.

Two of my JZR friends take themselves off to Spain most winters in their camper, they've been doing it health allowing for years, and they reckon it's no more expensive than being at home.

They do pull a trailer, and take either their JZR or an old Panda to use as everyday transport, but then I wouldn't imagine there's much buspass availability in Spain!

As others have said, Ken, go for it!

Malcolm

zojosc
8th June 2009, 09:49
Go for it Ken. I would love to have the cash to take a year out. Remember to throw away your watch(aka Easy Rider) and keep an eye out for rednecks.;)

Roverowner
8th June 2009, 10:05
Go for it!!

Luckily, in the British Isles, your not really far from anywhere. I personally wouldn´t get a mobile home but something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Vintage-Viking-Fibreline-4-Berth-Caravan_W0QQitemZ320381285278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes?hash=item4a9836739e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Or a Safari like 2Diesel has. Why??

The van would be part of the holiday and would look great behind the Rover (get to use the Rover all the time!!) The van you can park up at different campsites all over the country (safe and all amenities - well nearly always). With the van parked up you can explore the country side in the car witch is a lot easier that carting a big vehicle (into Tescos carpark etc etc). The van would be slower (but who´s in a hurry??) The money saved on the van would enable you to do all the luxuries you want! The Rover with a nice van on the back would certainly make you a lot of friends along the way. If you wanted, you could always park the van up in a nice place and then -nip home- for a couple of days to sort the post and let the cat out!!! The driving experience with a little van on the back is really good fun!

Just a thought:D Alan

Roverowner
8th June 2009, 10:09
Go for it!!

Luckily, in the British Isles, your not really far from anywhere. I personally wouldn´t get a mobile home but something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Vintage-Viking-Fibreline-4-Berth-Caravan_W0QQitemZ320381285278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes?hash=item4a9836739e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Or a Safari like 2Diesel has. Why??

The van would be part of the holiday and would look great behind the Rover (get to use the Rover all the time!!) The van you can park up at different campsites all over the country (safe and all amenities - well nearly always). With the van parked up you can explore the country side in the car witch is a lot easier that carting a big vehicle (into Tescos carpark etc etc). The van would be slower (but who´s in a hurry??) The money saved on the van would enable you to do all the luxuries you want! The Rover with a nice van on the back would certainly make you a lot of friends along the way. If you wanted, you could always park the van up in a nice place and then -nip home- for a couple of days to sort the post and let the cat out!!! The driving experience with a little van on the back is really good fun!

Just a thought:D Alan

Sorry Ken! Thought of course that you had a 75 or a ZT!!! First thing to do is get a diesel tourer with atowbar etc:DAlan

Gman2
8th June 2009, 10:12
Don't do it - the roads are too busy, think of the fuel cots, think of your creature comforts, think of the weather - the list is endless. Life is too short to put yourself under this type of self inflicted stress. Stay at home instead - have you considered an absorbing jigsaw puzzle? Counter arguement done ;) :D

Ken
8th June 2009, 10:32
Don't do it - the roads are too busy, think of the fuel cots, think of your creature comforts, think of the weather - the list is endless. Life is too short to put yourself under this type of self inflicted stress. Stay at home instead - have you considered an absorbing jigsaw puzzle? Counter arguement done ;) :D

Counter argument noted and will be considered along with all other options :D

Ken
8th June 2009, 10:47
Sorry Ken! Thought of course that you had a 75 or a ZT!!! First thing to do is get a diesel tourer with atowbar etc:DAlan

No I wouldn't tow a caravan as that does not appeal at all. I am thinking more of this sort of thing http://www.onlinemotorhomes.com/used/detail.php?siteid=1574&show_still=1 or http://www.onlinemotorhomes.com/used/detail.php?siteid=1532&show_still=1 or even one of these http://www.tynevalleymotorhomes.com/ci/ci-carioca-10

GreyGhost
8th June 2009, 10:52
In my experience the Ford diesel engines tend to be much noisier than the competition. I'm sure you would test drive several before making any decisions.
For proper easy touring a caravan is not the answer. Camper van all the way.

Roverowner
8th June 2009, 11:01
In my experience the Ford diesel engines tend to be much noisier than the competition. I'm sure you would test drive several before making any decisions.

Funny how tastes differ. Going EVERYWHERE in one of those wouldn´t appeal to me. Too big and cumbersome (even though I have an HGV + bus). Everything has to be laid on these days - no sense of adventure. ´Course depends on how well you are - whatever, as long as you (both)enjoy yourselves!!:lol:Alan

Ken
8th June 2009, 11:14
Funny how tastes differ. Going EVERYWHERE in one of those wouldn´t appeal to me. Too big and cumbersome (even though I have an HGV + bus). Everything has to be laid on these days - no sense of adventure. ´Course depends on how well you are - whatever, as long as you (both)enjoy yourselves!!:lol:Alan

As a bus driver myself I have no problem with going everywhere with one but I wouldn't be. We both have bus passes so we would make use of those using local transport.

I know parking in towns is difficult with height barriers in a lot of car parks which is why we would park up for two or three days at a time and use local buses. Thats what many people do down here when visiting Hampshire :lol:

Ken
8th June 2009, 11:18

Quite agree Mick one of the quietest we have had out was a Fiat. The engine was noisy as are all diesels but the sound proofing was superb. Transit engines are just as quiet with proper sound proofing but they lack or did lack a bit of pulling power. I will be choosing very carefully :lol:

Roverowner
8th June 2009, 11:38
Well in that case just the job!!
My dad drove the buses for many years (BCT Bournemouth) and I´ve driven the RM and RMLs in London before I moved to Sweden. When dad retired his pass only covered -The Yellow Buses- so things seem to have got better in some ways! :)Alan

Ken
8th June 2009, 11:44
My dad drove the buses for many years (BCT Bournemouth) and I´ve driven the RM and RMLs in London before I moved to Sweden. When dad retired his pass only covered -The Yellow Buses- so things seem to have got better in some ways! :)Alan

I have had my licence since 71 and we borrowed a lot of BCT buses back in the 70s. I drove for Hants and Dorset in Southampton but used to use Bournmouth bus station until it burnt down in the late 70s. We then used the Triangle after that

Never driven an RM but I did the LT skid pan back in 74 great fun

Small world isn't it :lol:

Ken

black olive
8th June 2009, 12:07
If I didnt have to come to the day care centre during the week I would be going for it Ken . Get out there and enjoy !!

Roverowner
8th June 2009, 12:37
I have had my licence since 71 and we borrowed a lot of BCT buses back in the 70s. I drove for Hants and Dorset in Southampton but used to use Bournmouth bus station until it burnt down in the late 70s. We then used the Triangle after that

Never driven an RM but I did the LT skid pan back in 74 great fun

Small world isn't it :lol:

Ken

Really small!!! Dad went at 60 (1977) was a little stocky Glaswegian with glasses. You might have met him. Everyone called him -Jock- of course. Which he didn´t mind as his name was John.
Drove the trolleys.... the lot. Was -rush conductor- which meant all sorts of jobs. Used the Triangle alot and was -part of the furniture- at Mallard Road. Always had his camera ready.

I also used the skid pan i 74. Did my licence from Potters Bar garage and ended up driving 24s, 3s, and 31s from Chalk Farm (Harmood street)

Get your van and have a real nice time:D If you don´t do it know when are you supposed to:shrug: If you get the urge later, take the missus and come over on Ryan Air to Skavsta (Stockholm) and you can spend i long weekend with us. (I´ll pick you up in the Rover -they are quite nice cars!-) Sweden is a lovey country. All the Best :D Alan

BigRuss
8th June 2009, 12:48
Ken just go for it, my parents got a motorhome just after they retired and I can honestly say that they had a wonderful time exploring all the places they had dreamed of going to for years. :D

Left them with many happy memories of all the places they visited long after the motorhome was sold.

Russ

Ken
8th June 2009, 16:55
Really small!!! Dad went at 60 (1977) was a little stocky Glaswegian with glasses. You might have met him. Everyone called him -Jock- of course. Which he didn´t mind as his name was John.
Drove the trolleys.... the lot. Was -rush conductor- which meant all sorts of jobs. Used the Triangle alot and was -part of the furniture- at Mallard Road. Always had his camera ready.

I also used the skid pan i 74. Did my licence from Potters Bar garage and ended up driving 24s, 3s, and 31s from Chalk Farm (Harmood street)

Get your van and have a real nice time:D If you don´t do it know when are you supposed to:shrug: If you get the urge later, take the missus and come over on Ryan Air to Skavsta (Stockholm) and you can spend i long weekend with us. (I´ll pick you up in the Rover -they are quite nice cars!-) Sweden is a lovey country. All the Best :D Alan

Thanks Alan :lol:

We were invited up to the skid pan as a few of us had done well in the driver of the year competition, from there we went to Sheffield to have a go at the first bendys in England. Skid pan was great but the bendy's were dreadful to drive and the back tended not to follow the front. They were improved a lot prior to going into service on the road.

I had to go to Mallard road about half a dozen times to pick up the yellow loan buses and take them to Southampton. They were good buses but the first one out of Southampton on service hit a low bridge as the duty inspector had forgotten we used Bristol Lodekka's on that route and the yellow buses were a foot higher :o The driver was done for it and left the company soon after and no it wasn't me :lol:

Cheers :lol:

Ken

Ken
8th June 2009, 16:57
Ken just go for it, my parents got a motorhome just after they retired and I can honestly say that they had a wonderful time exploring all the places they had dreamed of going to for years. :D

Left them with many happy memories of all the places they visited long after the motorhome was sold.

Russ

Thats what gave me the idea as my parents did the same thing as yours. They seemed to get a new lease of life when they had theirs.

Cheers Russ :lol:

Ken

trebor
8th June 2009, 17:31
You could do the entire round britain rally if you borrowed a 75 and save Yellow Peril some sleepless nights !

" he who dares Rodders ", go for it, its not that big a country that you couldnt change plans if something happened as you needed to get home.

Could also consider towing a small car behind on one of them metal bar thingys, gives you some easier to park transport if staying in one place for a few days and popping into the local town. Friend of mine does this and has a Fiat Cinqecento in yellow following on

Ken
8th June 2009, 18:07
You could do the entire round britain rally if you borrowed a 75 and save Yellow Peril some sleepless nights !

" he who dares Rodders ", go for it, its not that big a country that you couldnt change plans if something happened as you needed to get home.

Could also consider towing a small car behind on one of them metal bar thingys, gives you some easier to park transport if staying in one place for a few days and popping into the local town. Friend of mine does this and has a Fiat Cinqecento in yellow following on

I did think of that but decided to keep it simple and catch the bus. Its going to be a laid back trip and will be taking things slowly and if there are no buses there are no buses. We intend to totally chill out and take things as they come having a car means it has to be bought, mot, fuel, tax and the buses are free :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion though, its appreciated :lol:

Regards

Ken

majedm75
12th June 2009, 11:14
Go enjoy yourselves as many said, and make lots of pictures. Ther are lots of nice places in your country, and if this is not enough, France is not that far :lol:!

Simon
12th June 2009, 13:09
Ken, you are quite mad ;) :D So on those grounds - the idea is brilliant. :lol:

Just do it. You know you want to and you have already weighed up the pro's and con's by the sounds of things so the only thing left to do now is find a suitable camper van :)

JohnDotCom
12th June 2009, 18:05
...or even Hire one, but most probably cheaper to buy.;)

Christopher
12th June 2009, 18:56
:hippy::hippy::hippy:
Go for it Ken!!!

:jig::jig::jig:

JohnDotCom
12th June 2009, 18:58
You could lend him the MGF on a trailer for driving around, once at a location. :D :smilie_re: :getmecoat:

Christopher
12th June 2009, 19:03
You could lend him the MGF on a trailer for driving around, once at a location. :D :smilie_re: :getmecoat:

He'd have to put up with me still attached to it though :)

Better still get the RV that Top Gear showed - the one with the sports car slung underneath :)

JohnDotCom
12th June 2009, 19:09
Now your talking.....:)

Ken
12th June 2009, 19:11
Better still get the RV that Top Gear showed - the one with the sports car slung underneath :)

As you and James May are now best buddies could you ask him for me. No rush the next time he pops round will do Christopher :lol:

JohnDotCom
12th June 2009, 19:13
As you and James May are now best buddies could you ask him for me. No rush the next time he pops round will do Christopher :lol:

:clap::clap::clap::bowdown:

Christopher
12th June 2009, 19:34

I'll try but I don't know, he'll be busy, next time we promised to do each other's hair ...

andy
13th June 2009, 23:04

Thirty odd years ago I bought ex BCT fleet no.150 Reg. 8150EL ,a PD3 Titan and converted it into a motor home, lived in it for a couple of years then met present management and it got a bit neglected, then I lost my parking and with other things going on (building a house) I sold it. Still wish I had made more of an effort to hang on to it, I could have lent it to Ken so he could have done his trip in real comfort and style !

Andy

Ken
14th June 2009, 17:33
Thirty odd years ago I bought ex BCT fleet no.150 Reg. 8150EL ,a PD3 Titan and converted it into a motor home, lived in it for a couple of years then met present management and it got a bit neglected, then I lost my parking and with other things going on (building a house) I sold it. Still wish I had made more of an effort to hang on to it, I could have lent it to Ken so he could have done his trip in real comfort and style !

Andy

I don't think the wife would fancy that. She is being piccy about a motorhome, now she wants a washing machine in it ;)

Only joking but I think she would draw the line at a bus :lol: