PDA

View Full Version : R75 Cdt

Peter Burnett
10th June 2009, 09:22
I have only had this vehicle for a few weeks, it let me down 3 weeks ago I was unable to get any gears no clutch disengagement, pedal went straight to floor. The master cylinder was replaced and the car has been fine for 3 weeks then the same thing happened again (but no loss of pedal pressure). I managed to limp to the garage just using second gear. After waiting 1/2 hour the mechanic came to look at the car and everything was back to normal I drove it home with no problems. Is this a well catalogued fault? I am nervous now every time I drive the car.

bl52krz
10th June 2009, 10:16
I have only had this vehicle for a few weeks, it let me down 3 weeks ago I was unable to get any gears no clutch disengagement, pedal went straight to floor. The master cylinder was replaced and the car has been fine for 3 weeks then the same thing happened again (but no loss of pedal pressure). I managed to limp to the garage just using second gear. After waiting 1/2 hour the mechanic came to look at the car and everything was back to normal I drove it home with no problems. Is this a well catalogued fault? I am nervous now every time I drive the car.
sounds a bit like slave cylinder. not a cheap job.aaaarrrrrrggggggg. sorry.

derekosb
10th June 2009, 12:35
Hi there.

I am afraid to say it is a well catalgued fault. Do a search for Clutch Master & Slave Cylinders and see what comes up.

I have had both cylinders fail and were replaced on mine, then failed again 10,000 miles later. Part was replaced again under part maker's guarantee so you could try that route to save you any cost?

Derek

Peter Burnett
11th June 2009, 19:34
Thanks for the comments. The car did let me down again (couldn't get the gears and no clutch pedal pressure) managed to get it to the garage expecting a whopping bill for replacing the slave cylinder, but, got a call a few hours latter saying the car was ready for collection. Work carried out was to fill and blead the system properly and the seal was leaking. So will see if it now works for more than 3 weeks. I remain unconvinced!!

Simon
11th June 2009, 20:10
If the unfortunate does happen and the clutch fails again then it is probably the slave cylinder that is at fault. This is quite a big job but at the same time do not let them swap out the slave without changing the clutch plates themselves. Often a leaking slave leads to oil contamination on the clutch plates and whilst you have the gearbox out to change the slave it would be silly not to change the plates at the same time.

That said - here's hoping that your problem is finally solved and you can enjoy many thousands of miles of trouble-free motoring :)