PDA

View Full Version : Clutch master cylinder.

Phil
14th March 2007, 22:17
Hi, some of you may remember my fun and games with the clutch master cylinder on my car. Well since the new one was fitted I've been keeping a close eye on it and as much as I hate to say, it looks as though it is weeping.:( It gets a trickle of a drip run down the side of the master cylinder. If I wipe it off, it reappears by the time I next check it. I've checked the fluid level as best as I can and there is definately fluid in there but I don't know how I can tell if it is correct as can't see in it. The clutch pedal feels perfect and I was wondering if, as its a new master cylinder they pack in loads of grease and oil under the rubber boot to lubricate the cylinder and this is just working excess out. Advice and experiences welcomed.:lol:

JohnDotCom
14th March 2007, 22:32
I hope this is not a Further Problem for you.
Don't have Clutch so cannot advise but more Members will be on in the Morning.

Paranoid Carlos
15th March 2007, 08:23
Well they are picking up mine for it's third in 6 months today, last one was done 40 miles (2 weeks ago) :SHOCKED:

A case for genuine parts I think........:(

Phil
15th March 2007, 18:27
Mine is genuine, I believe. I wiped it last night and checked just now and no drips so am hoping just excess lube. Incidentally, where should a healthy clutch bite on one of these? Mine stars to bite about 2 inches from the top. Will you make it to the meet Paranoid?

Paranoid Carlos
15th March 2007, 20:24
I was going to Strensham to take some photos, alas I don't think so now.
Phoned for a progress report this afternoon car was in bits and it was a genuine part they fitted before, the quoted the part number which I checked with the dealer. All matched up can't blame the fitters, just got to wait.

Phil
23rd March 2007, 22:18
well, having yet another master cylinder fitted tomorrow.

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 22:54
There is definately some duff master cylinders out there, They fitted my new one last thursday afternoon one guy in the engine bay hooking it up, one under the dash, he pushed it down to prime it as per the instructions and got a lovely trickle down his arm. They then had number 4 delivered, seeing something he wasn't sure about he sent that back, (all this was while I was hovering about)
Went to another supplier and fitted that and touch wood it seems OK up till now.
All told it's cost the clutch place about a £1000 in labour putting 2 guys on the car and having to put work back + overtime etc.
All this was while having big bust ups with his motor factors who wouldn't honour the warranty reckoned he wasn't fitting them properly
Volkswagen group are also afflicted wiith failing clutch hydraulics as well, they now always insist on doing the whole lot when the clutch goes..

I didn't report if it was fixed on the forum as I wanted to wait and see if it really was:shrug:

July 2006 Master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch assembly

4 weeks ago (3000 miles later) new master cylinder+slave cylinder
2 weeks ago (40 miles later) 2 masters in one day

AND YOU KNOW WHAT I STILL LOVE MY 75:shrug:

Phil
23rd March 2007, 23:11
my patience is running very thin and I keep having thoughts about Honda Accords:(