PDA

View Full Version : hid conversion kit?

Turbo si
11th June 2009, 23:00
hey folks,

basically after realising that the xenon projectors are as rare as a rare thing during a leap year, wondered about fitting a conversion kit like what i have in my bubble..., noticed the zt headlights have self level adjusters too which would help, however i am not sure how the self diagnostics will cope with them?, i.e. when the ignition is swiched off it tells you if there is a light out etc?

cheers, simon :)

T-Cut
11th June 2009, 23:16
Xenon HID burners respond in the same way as bulbs to the OBD blown bulb sensing system. If the burner's OK, then no warning will appear.

I'm unclear as to what conversion kit you're thinking about. If your ZT headlights have OEM self-levelling, then they are already HID projectors. The levelling system was only fitted to HID models (I assume you don't mean the beam adjuster wheel on the light switch of non-HID models).

Cars with projector lamps using ordinary bulbs can be 'converted' to take HIDs by installing a burner ballast unit which generates the high operating voltage. The HID tubes themselves just replace the bulbs. The HID tubes in the OEM HID projectors have a different fitting and are considerably more expensive.

Maybe I misunderstood your system.

TC

Mike123
11th June 2009, 23:16
hey folks,

basically after realising that the xenon projectors are as rare as a rare thing during a leap year, wondered about fitting a conversion kit like what i have in my bubble..., noticed the zt headlights have self level adjusters too which would help, however i am not sure how the self diagnostics will cope with them?, i.e. when the ignition is swiched off it tells you if there is a light out etc?

cheers, simon :)

I have done mine and don't get failed bulb warning light. Makes a big difference to light output, worth doing imo.

Mike

Turbo si
11th June 2009, 23:47
cheers for that :)

t-cut - when i turn my headlights on they self adjust hight wise..., however they are definatly not the projector models :)

StevenWilliams
12th June 2009, 07:22
Just remember according the the department for transport if you install an aftermarket HID system you must also add

self levelling
headlight washers
Have the side lights on all the time when dipped beam is in use.
To quote
"2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Anything else is illegal.

T-Cut
12th June 2009, 08:50
cheers for that :)

t-cut - when i turn my headlights on they self adjust hight wise..., however they are definatly not the projector models :)

That's not the self adjust system, it's a self test for the manual system. The manual adjuster wheel on the light switch controls this and it does a range check when you start the engine. I don't think it does it at every startup though. You can sometimes hear the adjuster motors 'wind down' when you stop the engine.

As noted above, the law requires HIDs to have a self-levelling system to be installed. That's possible to do, but quite complex since it requires a T4 to activate the system electronically. Fitting a headlamp washer could also prove difficult, but possible. All the required parts are available for these extras.

TC

superchargedstu
12th June 2009, 09:12
or you could just do it and plead ignorance like i did! mine passed the mot without any of the above fitted

StevenWilliams
12th June 2009, 09:14
That's not the self adjust system, it's a self test for the manual system. The manual adjuster wheel on the light switch controls this and it does a range check when you start the engine. I don't think it does it at every startup though. You can sometimes hear the adjuster motors 'wind down' when you stop the engine.

As noted above, the law requires HIDs to have a self-levelling system to be installed. That's possible to do, but quite complex since it requires a T4 to activate the system electronically. Fitting a headlamp washer could also prove difficult, but possible. All the required parts are available for these extras.

TC

Headlamp washers are quiet easy to install if you don;t want that factory look as you could just use a aftermarket windscreen washer system and fit the outlet onto the bumper instead. It would just mean an extra switch somewhere to activate it.

Hardest bit would be to adjust the wiring to get the sidelights on when any other lights are on.

T-Cut
12th June 2009, 13:28
Hardest bit would be to adjust the wiring to get the sidelights on when any other lights are on.

Mine do stay on with the headlamps, don't yours?

TC

WeeMan
12th June 2009, 14:35
:) Projectors fitted from new on mine, added HID kit. No washers, no self level, just adjuster wheel next to light switch.
Never had problem getting through MOT, and bulb warning not effected, works just is it always has.
Great how to on here for where to fit ballasts etc.... go for it! ;)

StevenWilliams
12th June 2009, 14:56
:) Projectors fitted from new on mine, added HID kit. No washers, no self level, just adjuster wheel next to light switch.
Never had problem getting through MOT, and bulb warning not effected, works just is it always has.
Great how to on here for where to fit ballasts etc.... go for it! ;)

Funny enough it's not something checked in a MOT. Still illegal but as you state not many people check for it.
As I've covered in another thread it will really only invalidate your insurance if it was the lights that caused an accident. It's something that insurance companies will look for on cars that look modded but 75's don't generally fall into that category. :D

muey
12th June 2009, 15:36
interestin point Steve,re mods and insurance , but having read other threads regarding tourers being "individual " wen first owner ordered the car, how on earth do i know if any mods have been carried out since? I hope "not that I know of " will cover me, my tourer se Hi line just looks like a Hi line to me. looks great and drives fantastic and long may it continue !

StevenWilliams
12th June 2009, 16:39
interestin point Steve,re mods and insurance , but having read other threads regarding tourers being "individual " wen first owner ordered the car, how on earth do i know if any mods have been carried out since? I hope "not that I know of " will cover me, my tourer se Hi line just looks like a Hi line to me. looks great and drives fantastic and long may it continue !

Don't worry if the mods were options. Thats fine and as long as they are using OEM parts you will not need to tell the insurance company. However the only Caviet is Wheels that were not avaliable on a car. So my 75 did not come with 18" wheels and putting MG Rover 18" wheels on it would need a line on the policy.

It's aftermarket mods that change the driving characteristics of the car that normally add the most to insurance. So thats aftermarket wheels, Turbo's, Superchargers, remapping the ECU, Adding a RON box. It all depends on the insurance company and there perception of risk.

Also adding body kits may alter the risk of teft of the vehicle.

anything that changes a safety aspect of the car to the driver, passenger, pedestrian or other drivers is also a must. This is where the HID kits come in. Not informing the insurer will allow them to invalidate your policy at any time but as I stated it is highly unlikely unless they weer a contributing factor to the accident.

you'd never guess I work for an insurance company ;)

muey
12th June 2009, 19:30
Thanks Steve, "not that i know of" applies then. nothing on mine extra as far as i can see, and i don't think i will be changing any thing, i just like the car. this a great place for info if anything is bothering you and if i ever consider any mods as such, i'm already in the right place ! (notice i avoid sayin "anything goin wrong " ! )

Turbo si
12th June 2009, 23:37
hmm that is food for though steven cheers, as said had hid's fitted to my bubble turbo for a couple year now and not had any issues with police or insurance (doesn't really count with me being a trader). think i would like to go for the projector headlights before fitting the hids on the ztt though :)

StevenWilliams
13th June 2009, 07:09
hmm that is food for though steven cheers, as said had hid's fitted to my bubble turbo for a couple year now and not had any issues with police or insurance (doesn't really count with me being a trader). think i would like to go for the projector headlights before fitting the hids on the ztt though :)

As I stated you only really get a problem if they are noticed or if you are involved in an accident and they are noticed.

Turbo si
13th June 2009, 08:29
been thinking about it and i think i will just wait to see if i can get the genuine headlights :)

you mentioned that the self level needs to be swiched on by T4, that still the case if i get the proper headlights???, obviously i will still be missing the washers but that's something i can easilly sort :)

i've had enough problems with my bubble and the law so i want to keep this car totally legal :)

moonstoneboy
13th June 2009, 09:03
been thinking about it and i think i will just wait to see if i can get the genuine headlights :)

you mentioned that the self level needs to be swiched on by T4, that still the case if i get the proper headlights???, obviously i will still be missing the washers but that's something i can easilly sort :)

i've had enough problems with my bubble and the law so i want to keep this car totally legal :)

The self levelling activation system is not part of the lamp but fit on to the suspension arms

Paul

sratansi
10th August 2010, 10:55
hello, my first post on this forum,

I got a set of HIDS yesterday for my 75 connie (2005), i believe i might have to take the headlamp unit out to fit them as it seems a tight squeeze, but where to do i install the ballasts?

kissifer1972
10th August 2010, 14:26
hello, my first post on this forum,

I got a set of HIDS yesterday for my 75 connie (2005), i believe i might have to take the headlamp unit out to fit them as it seems a tight squeeze, but where to do i install the ballasts?

Ever considered using the search function? Or reading a whole thread?

Anyway, as I am feeling generous http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6127

stevemac
10th August 2010, 14:41
Ever considered using the search function? Or reading a whole thread?

Anyway, as I am feeling generous http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6127

A touch uncharitable for someone with only 184 post to another newbie. Sohail welcome to the club. There are no fixed areas to place the ballasts, they just need to go where you can get them to fit. Just bear in mind things like moisture etc. I had to remove the light altogether to get the bulbs in mine to fit. (OK Corin, YOU had to remove the light to get it to fit:o) Having a 1.8 I have a lot more room in my bay than yours but I can take photos of where I placed mine if it would help. HTH

sratansi
10th August 2010, 15:43
oh cheers for that i searched via google and only got this thread, but thanks mate its nicely detailed for n00bs like to have a go

sratansi
16th August 2010, 13:14
i had a go yesterday, but had issues finding a place to put the velcro for the ballasts as per guide. I have attached where i couldnt but the velcro and where i have now, but i think i will need to drill a hole to hold it in place.

http://i33.tinypic.com/24eyywp.jpg

sratansi
16th August 2010, 13:15
and this is where i had to put it instead but will need to drill i believe
http://i36.tinypic.com/2rcqy2t.jpg

stevemac
16th August 2010, 14:02
Mines held on with cable ties. More reliable than velcro.

sratansi
16th August 2010, 14:12
Mines held on with cable ties. More reliable than velcro.

Steve where did you fasten your Ballasts to? i was trying to find somewhere secure but couldnt i will cable tie the ballast on the driver side as well as velcro but the other one is might have to be a drill jobby.

stevemac
16th August 2010, 15:27
Steve where did you fasten your Ballasts to? i was trying to find somewhere secure but couldnt i will cable tie the ballast on the driver side as well as velcro but the other one is might have to be a drill jobby.

This may not help as I have a 1.8. Lots of room in my engine bay :)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/stevemac75/P1130928.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/stevemac75/P1130929.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/stevemac75/P1130926.jpg

sratansi
16th August 2010, 15:34
cheers mate will have a look at my engine tonite to see where else i can attach the ballasts.. did you have to remove the water bottle neck to get to the headlamps?

stevemac
16th August 2010, 16:03
cheers mate will have a look at my engine tonite to see where else i can attach the ballasts.. did you have to remove the water bottle neck to get to the headlamps?

I had my friendly local Rover expert do mine :D I don't know a big end from a ball joint :o Corin took off the bumper and removed the lights.

sratansi
19th August 2010, 09:56
having a go this weekend hopefully i dont mess it up! if the lights go in well, i can then start to work on the drl's and after that the LED strips for the boot

sratansi
21st August 2010, 15:28
stuck!! how do i fit the metal clip around the bulb