PDA

View Full Version : Chrome strips

Devilish
12th June 2009, 05:28
Could someone tell me if the chrome strips along the length of the car are held in place by adhesive or clips, and does anyone know if they are available

W953 BJX
12th June 2009, 08:32
I'm stripping mine for bits, I'll go and find out for you

pitkin03
12th June 2009, 08:36

i beleive they held in by clips clips and the can leak causing a wet boot

Collins
12th June 2009, 13:56
I heard somewhere on another thread, that the strips are actually highly polished stainless steel and not chromed :shrug:.
Attached is a pic I got somewhere on e-bay of the clips that supposedly hold these shiny metal strips in place.
I need to get some myself, as I intend replacing one slightly dented rear strip.

Begiorlegi
12th June 2009, 14:58
Could someone tell me if the chrome strips along the length of the car are held in place by adhesive or clips, and does anyone know if they are available

By clips.

A couple of used chrome trims:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-1999-on-side-sill-chrome-trims_W0QQitemZ130307311587QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1e56ebc7e3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1689%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Begiorlegi
12th June 2009, 15:02
I heard somewhere on another thread, that the strips are actually highly polished stainless steel and not chromed :shrug:.
Attached is a pic I got somewhere on e-bay of the clips that supposedly hold these shiny metal strips in place.
I need to get some myself, as I intend replacing one slightly dented rear strip.

"As I discovered when I got hit in April, all of the chrome bits on and around the bumpers are not metal pressings as I thought, but actually made of plastic. The chrome bits along the side of the car are not chrome either, but what looks like polished stainless steel!"

Well, I'm not english speaking (or english speaker, I dunno...:o) but I think it's only a mistake. He wanted to say "metal" instead of "chrome". Is not so?
All bits are made of plastic covered with chrome, front grill and mirrors too. On one hand, they are lighter than steel (weight, I mean), and cheaper if you need to replace them. On the other hand, they are easily scratched or dented.

Devilish
12th June 2009, 18:46
Sorry folks I should have been more descriptive. I did not mean the sill trims I mean the ones that run the length of the car in line with the door handles. I need to remove mine and need to know what holds them on before I begin to remove them

Eliseo I believe you are right, I just had a tap with a spoon and they do appear to be steel, and I always thought they were plastic. The sill trims are a good find and a good price

Devilish
12th June 2009, 19:13

Jason, I may need the wing strips and clips, depending upon how well they come off, nd can you let me know you removed them

pitkin03
12th June 2009, 19:25
Jason, I may need the wing strips and clips, depending upon how well they come off, nd can you let me know you removed them

they are still clips, if you remove the liner inside your boot on one side you will clearly see them

magellan
12th June 2009, 19:32
Hi,

When recently fiddling on my boot, Isaw screws that could be located behind the strip... not sure about the clips specially near the ends

Devilish
12th June 2009, 19:53
Anyone taken theirs off, do not want to risk creasing them, do not know if I should lever from top, bottom, or an end

W953 BJX
12th June 2009, 22:21
Sorry have been in l'opital again so couldn't go out and pull them off... I mean carefully dissassemble them! I should hopefully be out there tomorrow morning after I have been post office and all the other littlethings I've not been able to do this week on account of my stupid leg! Sorry everyone, devilish I will hopefully report back tomorrow with some findings
appleorgies for being useless!

Begiorlegi
13th June 2009, 00:12
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1135/molduras.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/molduras.jpg/)

They don't explain how to release clips, but at least you can see how the chrome mouldings are clipped.

Fraser Mitchell
16th June 2009, 20:25
I once had a Mark 2 Jaguar to paint which also had chrome strips - actually chromed brass. To remove them one had to use a wide springy steel or preferable plastic scraper to spread the load when applying force to remove them. Having first put tape onto the paintwork to avoid damage, as advised in the Rover instructions, insert tool from above or below and "detect" the clip, (tool will not push in very much at the clip location), then a little outward pressure and off it comes for each clip, until the strip is free.

The Jaguar ones were fixed to the body by pop rivets, and the strip pushed onto them, if the Rover ones are similar, the strip should "pop-off" leaving the clips in position on the body.

It would be nice if Rover had been more forthcoming on the knack of removing them.

Has anybody taken them off on this forum - it appears not !

colin d
17th June 2009, 20:56
I swapped a complete set from body coloured to stainless a couple of years ago. The new strips came with clips otherwise you will need a supply of new clips which are available under Pt No DYC101440 in packs of 10.

I put masking tape below the strip I was removing and gently leaved from below using a trim removal tool which is approximately 2" wide so no chance of denting the panels. Virtually all the existing clips broke as the trim was removed.

On the tourer the rearmost clip on each side is threaded and the nut is accessible after removing the load space side covers. If you have a car with the HK sub woofer located in the left hand side it was to be removed for access.

Devilish
17th June 2009, 21:42
Thanks for your replies, but I let the bodyshop take them off in the end. I took it into an Audi/BMW bodyshop Monday morning, to have the front end stripped and re sprayed. Bumper, bonnet, both wings, and a stainless bottom grille. They said they will be removig the old grille anyway. I should get it back by Friday. I got fed up of seeing the road blast and stone chip marks