PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak on a 190

The_Monk
12th June 2009, 20:52
I have what appears to be an oil leak from somewhere in the top part of the engine compartment. The bottom of the engine is covered after I removed the undertray to change the engine mount. I can not see where it is leaking but is there anywhere common on the 190s? I tried a search and it brought up nothing. Am I about to go bankrupt??

Going to be ringing Mr Lates on Monday to see when he can fit me in.

The_Monk
13th June 2009, 09:51
:shrug:no one got any ideas

T-Cut
13th June 2009, 09:59
The push-in seals on the ends of the camshaft housings are a common place for oil leaks.

TC

The_Monk
13th June 2009, 19:02
Thanks

Had another look around the engine bay and it looks like the thermostat housing is leaking. Annoying to say the least!

T-Cut
13th June 2009, 20:21
But that doesn't leak oil.

TC

courier118
13th June 2009, 20:24
Im now confused.com,thought it was oil leak?

The_Monk
13th June 2009, 20:54
There is coolant in the V which suggests Thermostat housing, and oil on the bottom of the engine. Checked the levels of both and they both seem ok but the car isn't being used now until looked at.

Chilljohn
14th June 2009, 15:16
check the balance vis motor isnt leaking it i had an oil leak like urs and it turn out hte vis motor needed to be niped up :)worht a look :)

Lates
14th June 2009, 22:14
There is coolant in the V which suggests Thermostat housing, and oil on the bottom of the engine. Checked the levels of both and they both seem ok but the car isn't being used now until looked at.

Stat leaks will result on the lost fluids collecting around the oil filter area.
Call my mobile after 7 for a chit chat.

The_Monk
16th June 2009, 13:50
Car has had to go somewhere very local as i'm superglued in at work at the moment. Hopefully I wont regret it. Thanks for the offer of the call Lates.

Tatts
16th June 2009, 14:26
Following on from what T-C said; you've not had your cambelts changed recently have you?

The_Monk
16th June 2009, 14:32
I had one of the belts changed last year when the water pump went, I think I need the back two? changed on next years service. I never got the thermostat changed although a member on here recommended it. Always the way.

Tatts
16th June 2009, 14:39
Ok, again from what T_C said, have you checked the cam cover caps? They have been known to pop off - I speak from personal experience.

The_Monk
16th June 2009, 15:08
Ok, again from what T_C said, have you checked the cam cover caps? They have been known to pop off - I speak from personal experience.

Will have a look, where should I be looking?

Fraser Mitchell
16th June 2009, 19:53
They are black plug thingys pushed into each cambox on the driver's side of the engine, to cover the hole left by line boring the exhaust camshaft bearings. If they pop out oil will get everywhere ! On the other holes there are lip-type seals as the camshafts stick out of them to fix onto the camdrive cogs of which there are 6.