PDA

View Full Version : Fitting accessory socket.

chrislloydie
12th June 2009, 22:10
I attempted to fit an aftermarket accessory socket in the armrest cubby box today. I wanted power to the accessory socket only when the ignition is on to prevent it from draining battery. I used a piggy back fuse but encountered a problem. The socket I'm attempting to fit is a 3 socket extension.

I plugged the 3way socket into a cig lighter extension and then cut the plug off the other end leaving me with 2 bare wires. I took these wires and earthed one at bottom of a pillar and fitted the other wire to the piggy back fuse. However, despite trying all the different fuses, the power light on the accessory socket showed constant power even when ignition off. I was afraid this would drain the battery even when no accessory actually pluged in, is this correct?

So I swapped the wires around and the result was no power to the accessory socket at all, even when ignition on.

I have already used the piggy back fuse method to successsfully wire up my satnav which only receives power when ignition is on so I know it can be done. Can anyone advise me as to what I'm doing wrong this time?

The_Monk
12th June 2009, 22:18
Some of the ciggy lights are wired to be permanently live. My facelift is, so long as nothing is plugged in then there is no drain on the battery. Not sure whether its a facelift thing.

When I wired my accessory socket I took a connection from the fuse board using the link accessory harness. £27 for a piece of wire and a connector!! I can not recall which fuse on the fuseboard is used for it but I can have a look when its light.

The Power On light will drain the battery but I dont know how much.

chrislloydie
12th June 2009, 22:32
Cheers mate.

Can anybody shed any light as to why the accessory socket is receiving constant power as shown by red light, and how much drain on the battery will this constant light on cause?

chrislloydie
12th June 2009, 23:23
What about if I wired in a switch somewhere along the line, would this then switch the accessory socket off?

StevenWilliams
13th June 2009, 07:16
A LED would be powered for ages (And I mean ages) before any drain was even noticed by the battery.

However if you really want to do it this way then you can wire it into a switched line in the fuse panel.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38611&highlight=fuse

chrislloydie
13th June 2009, 08:34
A LED would be powered for ages (And I mean ages) before any drain was even noticed by the battery.

However if you really want to do it this way then you can wire it into a switched line in the fuse panel.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38611&highlight=fuse
So if i just left it as permanently powered, and made sure accessories were never left in when car not being used, would normal daily driving be enough to keep the battery from being drained by the little led bulb?

moonstoneboy
13th June 2009, 08:59
So if i just left it as permanently powered, and made sure accessories were never left in when car not being used, would normal daily driving be enough to keep the battery from being drained by the little led bulb?

When you lock the car have a look - there is a red bulb on the dash that will be on for the alarm - no one has ever had their battery flattened by that.

Paul

stevemac
13th June 2009, 09:02

Hey Chris, the alarm led doesn't drain the battery! Left my car for 5 weeks and my neighbour only started it occasionally and never drove it there was no problem. I can't see another led making any difference.

stevemac
13th June 2009, 09:02
When you lock the car have a look - there is a red bulb on the dash that will be on for the alarm - no one has ever had their battery flattened by that.

Paul

Beat me to it:)

ceedy
13th June 2009, 09:07
Hi,
if the led is on all the time ,
then its obviously connected to the wrong point :shrug: :getmecoat:

As for battery drain , I would think the average LED would run for many many months before the battery is flattened .

50-60 AMP battery & 20milliamp LED !.

It the same with my recent ashtray mod, but I just took off the LED.,
well it was mounted in the bit I cut out..;)

have fun

C

StevenWilliams
13th June 2009, 11:40
I have a permanently live 4 way socket in the boot with a LED and a torch on charge all the time. Never had an issue with it.

chrislloydie
13th June 2009, 12:08
okay thanks for all the advice chaps. I will leave it as permanently live then and just make sure i never leave any accessories on overnight.

So now thats sorted and the rear spoiler is fitted i am on the lookout for my next cheap project lol.

stevemac
13th June 2009, 13:26
okay thanks for all the advice chaps. I will leave it as permanently live then and just make sure i never leave any accessories on overnight.

So now thats sorted and the rear spoiler is fitted i am on the lookout for my next cheap project lol.

Just fitted drivers side grab handle and awaiting light oak dash kit.;)

Bernard LPG
13th June 2009, 13:31
Just fitted drivers side grab handle and awaiting light oak dash kit.;)

Does Mrs Mac know? :D

stevemac
13th June 2009, 15:08
Does Mrs Mac know? :D

errr, no she doesn't, hoping she won't notice:o

Bernard LPG
13th June 2009, 15:29
errr, no she doesn't, hoping she won't notice:o

Oh boy! are you going to be in trouble! :eek:

chrislloydie
14th June 2009, 06:04
had a little play around yesterday afternoon and after disconnecting the accessory socket and then carefully reconnecting the wires, i'm happy to say its now working as i wanted it to. The socket is only powered once the key is at position 2 and then powers off when ignition is switched off. So alls well that ends well. Thanks again for the advice.

baxlin
14th June 2009, 08:59
had a little play around yesterday afternoon and after disconnecting the accessory socket and then carefully reconnecting the wires, i'm happy to say its now working as i wanted it to. The socket is only powered once the key is at position 2 and then powers off when ignition is switched off. So alls well that ends well. Thanks again for the advice.

Very pleased it's sorted, Chris, I've only just caught this thread, but my thoughts would have been to try piggybacking a different fuse, one that's accessory position powered, and to say that if you were going to fit a switch, the hard part, IMO, is locating it on the car, to combine ease of operation, and of course cosmetic considerations.

I have used two pushon/push off switches from Maplins, and fitted them in the steering wheel lower shroud, out of sight but easily get-attable. (one for the front parking sensors, the other for the rears, to switch off when towing).

gmax333
14th June 2009, 15:30
Just for reference, you won't drain your battery overnight even if you left something plugged in (say like a mobile phone charger), or anything else relatively low powered. Only time you are likely to drain the battery is if you have a 220Volt inverter plugged in over night.

An LED on a car battery would last hundreds of years (though the battery would have degraded long before this. The amount of drain from an LED is absolutely tiny.

StevenWilliams
14th June 2009, 19:17
I leave my satnav plugged in in the boot when not in use. The boot is perm live for me and it's never done any harm (yet)