PDA

View Full Version : Fan question..

ceedy
14th June 2009, 13:41
I've been waiting for a a pair of Spal fans from a 2.8i BWM to arrive , but arrived yesterday and were not quite right were described as blowers but are in fact suckers ,they will reverse but are less efficent and nosiy that way Someting to sort later .

SO... front of Zt is off and spending the day in the sun fitting my ( ex Vx) Bosch motored fan on.

Althought it most likely covered in some previous post .. I really havn't got the time to plough through it all, and if I can get a quick answer fron one of the peeps who 've been there already, Ican get on with it.

So question on the wiring

Have modded the control box to do 2 speeds as per Keiths inf o and running the low speed through a 0.68 ohm resistor which controls the low speed a little better.
Black to Neg side of motor ,Red wire from control box through the resistior to the motor for low speed and Purple wire straight to the motor for Hight speed .

I've read what is supposed to happen , but with ignition on fan not spinning at all.

Switch on Aircon , fan goes to low speed , and resistor getting nicley warm.

What easy test can I do to check it all out ?

Shorting the Trinary switch does nothing ?.

any help really appreciated

Chris .

PS also trying the watch the touring cars ??? :D

T-Cut
14th June 2009, 14:01
I sounds OK to me. The slow speed only runs when the A/C is in 'Auto'. It should stop when turned off to 'Econ'. The fan doesn't run just on the ignition. The fan may run a bit slower than usual with a 0.68 ohm resistor, but it should be OK. Recommended range is 0.3 - 0.5 ohms.

The high speed comes on with an engine overheat. You can test that by removing the connection to the coolant temperature sensor with the engine running. The system will see this as an emergency and go to high speed cooling.

TC

ceedy
14th June 2009, 14:47
Cheers T..

Jup, econ stops the fans .. So all seems ok .. just would like to confirm fast mode
so Just cos its easy to ask, wheres the temp sender located .? ;)

I've used the larger value resistor to slow down the low speed as the Bosch motor runs a bit quicker than the Standard, fan
Hi speed is still Warp factor 9 :D

Chris

I sounds OK to me. The slow speed only runs when the A/C is in 'Auto'. It should stop when turned off to 'Econ'. The fan doesn't run just on the ignition. The fan may run a bit slower than usual with a 0.68 ohm resistor, but it should be OK. Recommended range is 0.3 - 0.5 ohms.

The high speed comes on with an engine overheat. You can test that by removing the connection to the coolant temperature sensor with the engine running. The system will see this as an emergency and go to high speed cooling.

TC

T-Cut
14th June 2009, 18:15
I've used the larger value resistor to slow down the low speed as the Bosch motor runs a bit quicker than the Standard fan

Ah, right. I overlooked the Bosch bit.

TC

ceedy
14th June 2009, 18:55
Ah, right. I overlooked the Bosch bit.

TC

Can you give a clue to the CDTi's temp senders location,?

Its all back together now for work tomorrow & an Aircon clean out & recharge .

ta
Chris

T-Cut
14th June 2009, 19:17
Can you give a clue to the CDTi's temp senders location?

MR HAYNES says it's between two inlet ports on the front of the head.

TC

ceedy
14th June 2009, 20:17
MR HAYNES says it's between two inlet ports on the front of the head.

TC

Thanks I'll have a dig around for it .

take care

Chris

bl52krz
14th June 2009, 21:17
Cheers T..

Jup, econ stops the fans .. So all seems ok .. just would like to confirm fast mode
so Just cos its easy to ask, wheres the temp sender located .? ;)

I've used the larger value resistor to slow down the low speed as the Bosch motor runs a bit quicker than the Standard, fan
Hi speed is still Warp factor 9 :D

Chris
temp sensor, remove engine cover, remove the usual ducting,disconnect the wiring plug from sensor. mr haynes say's use a deep socket to remove the sensor, otherwise, remove the inlet manifold. a new seal should be used on refitting. if you are whipet quick ceedy, you will not lose much water, but do not forget to top up when you have finished.:eek:

T-Cut
14th June 2009, 21:46
if you are whipet quick ceedy, you will not lose much water, but do not forget to top up when you have finished.

For this investigation, he only needs to disconnect the lead!

TC