PDA

View Full Version : same thread ... new question.

Scribbler.
15th June 2009, 02:08
:lol: Hi members especially all you engineering techies ... Having had a new Kenlowe fan fitted and, NOT used the original Rover fan housing or control box, I need to identify the colouring of two wires please ....
1st. The ignition-on + line to the orginal fan via the plugs and ... 2nd. The Aircon-on + VE line, same plug leads. ???
The Kenlowe instructions do not identify the colour codes of these two wires. *One takes the green wire from the Kenlowe control box and the other the yellow wire. The fan works fine on both speeds but I wish to be sure its working in conjunction with the aircon correctly. Thanks people. :shrug: Mike.
Ps: Later I'll add details of our joint efforts to make the cooling system far more efficient and effective on the KV6.

T-Cut
15th June 2009, 07:18
Later I'll add details of our joint efforts to make the cooling system far more efficient and effective on the KV6.

What's wrong with the V6 cooling system in terms of efficiency?

TC

Jules
15th June 2009, 08:03
I'll also be intrigued how you will make a more intelligent cooling system than the original ECU fed control box setup?

Give Kenlowe Tech line a call (Jeff)
He should be able to help on the wire colours.

There was talk back in 2006 with Keith & another member DeeCee, of introducing Road speed data input into the equation.
Theory behind this is that the cooling fan is not required above say 30 MPH, so there is a lot of wasted energy involved powering the fan.

Maybe Kaiser/Workaholic could get involved !!

Good luck

jcwatrichmond
15th June 2009, 08:22
There was talk back in 2006 with Keith & another member DeeCee, of introducing Road speed data input into the equation.
Theory behind this is that the cooling fan is not required above say 30 MPH, so there is a lot of wasted energy involved powering the fan.

This could be a risky strategy. So much depends on the wind direction on windy days. I you're doing 40mph with a 40mph wind from behind you, then there's no air going through the radiator. And this is a problem even if the wind is 10-15mph from anywhere behind you.
You would have to set the limiter much higher, say around 50-60mph, so it would only pay dividends at higher motorway speeds.

John Wright

Jules
15th June 2009, 08:28
You are correct John!
But then the ECU would take over activating the "next" fan speed up, if temp was to rise accordingly.

Keith & DeeCee did discuss and sourced airflow switches too

Other modern cars implement this intelligence.

T-Cut
15th June 2009, 13:28
Other modern cars implement this intelligence.

Other than operating the A/C system, I can't see what airspeed-related fan operation would achieve. The engine cooling is only invoked between specific temperature ranges anyway. So, when it is required, I'd have thought it needs to be the most effective available. I'd say that's the fan - with or without ram flow. I think I'll re-read the thread you mention and try to understand the motives for doing it.

TC

James.uk
15th June 2009, 15:10
Erm... So know one knows what colour the two wires in question are? :confused:

Jules
15th June 2009, 19:42
Other than operating the A/C system, I can't see what airspeed-related fan operation would achieve. The engine cooling is only invoked between specific temperature ranges anyway. So, when it is required, I'd have thought it needs to be the most effective available. I'd say that's the fan - with or without ram flow. I think I'll re-read the thread you mention and try to understand the motives for doing it.

TC
It's all to do Euro 5, 6 or 7 emissions (whatever the latest spec is!!) with saving electrical power & hence improving the MPG figures (savings seem to be on a microscopic level these days, soon to be obliterated, by new laws forcing everyone to have lights on during the day!!) Anyway I digress.

By having Airspeed & road speed data inputs added to the ECU it could collate an even more intelligent output to an infinitely variable speed motor, thereby powering the blades for the bare minimum required to achieve the desired cooling.

2 & 3 speed motors are so wasteful of Energy when you think about it.

Erm... So know one knows what colour the two wires in question are? :confused:

Seems not James:o

James.uk
16th June 2009, 23:11
Thanks Jules. :)

As "the" number one site for info on these cars we should know, so I will PM Scribbler in a couple of days and let you know what he found out :)..

To me wires have 2 uses, one is to produce sounds on a guitar, the other is for catching rabbits for supper.. heh heh.. :o :D ..

GrahamP
17th June 2009, 00:12
By having Airspeed & road speed data inputs added to the ECU it could collate an even more intelligent output to an infinitely variable speed motor, thereby powering the blades for the bare minimum required to achieve the desired cooling.

If you added a outside temperature sensor into it and a infinite variable speed motor it would only need to rotate fast enough to maintain a working temperature.

The down side is when you have aircon and the fan is needed but the engine is not up to temp, the ideal solution would be a separate fan for the aircon and the condenser located elsewhere other than in front of the radiator. The main engine cooling fan would only be needed at low speeds or in traffic.

Scribbler.
19th June 2009, 01:53
:lol: Further to my post regards "cooling";
First noticable item is the actual lack of access via the grill for cooling air to get to the radiator. We, (my friend/mechanic John) decided to remove the under-pan totally thus allowing better cooling. Yes it also acts to deflect stones etc but, of all my many years motoring I have only once had a *stone cause serious damage so, I'll take that risk. Next we also removed the small cowlings on either side behind the grill covering the horns. *same logic applies. next he replaced the actual Rover fan housing with bolting the kenlowe fan directly onto the radiator as indeed their drawings show. The Kenlowe also has its own temp thermo-couple which fits within the radiator honeycomb; *NOTE, for this you need to carefully cut the top inch-and-a-half off the rover cowling, (done using a small grinder tool) to use for securing the radiator and other top fixings. It also gives the necessary spacings. Please note you will have 6 bolts remaining as the Rover fan cowling is no longer being used, so don't panic. :lol:
Now my entire radiator has full air access and the Kenlowe once fitted works with the `Climate control', has a manual screw adjustment for temp. operations and, is a far better build quality than the old Rover fan. (3 stage.) The kenlowe is of course a 2 stage fan and carries a 2 year warrantee as it was designed to fit the Rover after repeated requests apparently. *Please note: Wiring the kenlowe fan; .... the threee wires, (Brown Grey and Black), from the fan are as stated in Kenlowes instructions. The Yellow from the slow speed relay goes to any "live upon ignition" wire and finally the Green, or high speed connects to the `message line' wire to the original Rover fan Air-Con wire. Colours vary. *End. Our good friend Jules did offer to supply and/or fit the Kenlowe but sadly due to a "minor stroke" I'm unable to drive for 28 days. Hence my buddy John stepping in whilst I'm grounded. *Imagine ... a whole month without driving my beloved Rover 75 ... hellupppp withdrawal symptoms. :shrug: Have to go for an `ablation' later; another month grounding. ooeerrrrr. Anyone know where I can get a Rover 75 simulator ??
Cheers all .... Mike. :unlucky:

Jules
19th June 2009, 08:38
If you added a outside temperature sensor into it and a infinite variable speed motor it would only need to rotate fast enough to maintain a working temperature.

The down side is when you have aircon and the fan is needed but the engine is not up to temp, the ideal solution would be a separate fan for the aircon and the condenser located elsewhere other than in front of the radiator. The main engine cooling fan would only be needed at low speeds or in traffic.

We're back to the Rover 600/800 design then Graham.:o
The twin fan set up worked very well on those cars & I didn't have or hear of a fan failure !!

GrahamP
19th June 2009, 10:45
So much for progress or cost cutting.

As i recall my old P6 V8 had a belt driven cooling fan mounted on the water pump but the impeller only engaged and rotated when the engine temp needed it, not good news when working on the engine as the fan would spin up without warning but reduced warm up times and improved fuel economy.
Had my knuckles rapped a few times on that one.

T-Cut
19th June 2009, 12:21
The down side is when you have aircon and the fan is needed but the engine is not up to temp,

I doubt the fan running under those circumstances has any impact on warm up time. The thermostat controls coolant flow through the engine and there's virtually none going to the radiator until the stat opens.

TC