PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan....

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 10:03
really really desperate......................................... .................leaving a festival in traffic last night, we were queueing for a long time. at first the fan came on as normal but after a while there was a grinding noise/vibration and the car overheated.............i didn't notice the red light on the instrument panel until steam started coming through the bonnet.after letting it cool down it took a litre or so to top it back up and managed to get home without it overheating or going over 1/2 on the gauge at all as long as we kept the heater on and stayed moving ( the only option at 2.30 in the morning with kids in the car and a 2hr wait from the AA) when it had the belts done by lates , the fan was checked and all three speeds where working (only 1400 miles ago)
my question is where's the best place to get a fan and what's the likelyhood of engine damage???:confused:
thanks in advance

T-Cut
15th June 2009, 11:05
New OEM fan systems are now the later 2-speed type. They are plug and play with existing harness apparently. Available from Rimmer or any Xpart depot. I believe member Jules offers a good deal on these (means a trip to Wales tho).

As to engine damage, how long's a piece of string? Chances are you'll be OK. The V6 head gasket is pretty robust. Your event shows how useless the temperature gauge is. Don't rely on it telling you when something's going wrong. It will only tell you after the event.

I'd fit a Schaaper digital gauge so you know what's happening.

The cause of the overheat must be fixed. Likely culprit is split 'stat housing. Lots of info on the forum.

TC

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 11:56
New OEM fan systems are now the later 2-speed type. They are plug and play with existing harness apparently. Available from Rimmer or any Xpart depot. I believe member Jules offers a good deal on these (means a trip to Wales tho).

As to engine damage, how long's a piece of string? Chances are you'll be OK. The V6 head gasket is pretty robust. Your event shows how useless the temperature gauge is. Don't rely on it telling you when something's going wrong. It will only tell you after the event.

I'd fit a Schaaper digital gauge so you know what's happening.

The cause of the overheat must be fixed. Likely culprit is split 'stat housing. Lots of info on the forum.

TC

thanks mate :bowdown:,
the thermostat housing was replaced with the water pump as part of the 90k service, but not long before the car overheated there was a strange noise that at the time we thought was just something the car had gone over:shrug: anyway going to contact rimmers now

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 12:05
£406:eek: is that right??is it any cheaper anywhere else? and what about the 17" kenlowe kit that rimmers do , is that suitable at all?? think i need a sit down:eek:

JohnDotCom
15th June 2009, 12:19
Price from XPart Centres should be:

PGJ000110 Motor-cooling system fan - 450 W - Air conditioning £374.14 + VAT (£430.26) or less

Try Jules as he sup[plies as well as fits in North Wales and offers a mobile service to.

Mel Dawson
15th June 2009, 12:41
Hi, Theres a new one on ebay with £70 start price.

T-Cut
15th June 2009, 12:48
Mel, if you mean this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ROVER-75-ZT-COOLING-FAN-MOTOR-ASSY_W0QQitemZ320382950165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a984fdb15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1689|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

it's specifically for the diesel. The motor will probably fit the V6, but the control box is different. I guess the old box could be used.

TC

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 16:18
Mel, if you mean this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ROVER-75-ZT-COOLING-FAN-MOTOR-ASSY_W0QQitemZ320382950165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a984fdb15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1689|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

it's specifically for the diesel. The motor will probably fit the V6, but the control box is different. I guess the old box could be used.

TC

i'm already watching that one:lol: it's the same part number as the one johndotcom suggested though........

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 16:21
further to my earlier post , i started it today with the expansion tank cap off and the water level rose and spilled over, and if you give it a bit of throttle the water level rises really quickly. could this be a sign of head gasket failure??

T-Cut
15th June 2009, 16:33
There have been lengthy discussions on this behaviour and the consensus is they all do it. Running the engine with the pressure cap off isn't how it's supposed to operate. If everything's normal otherwise, I'd say it's all OK.

The explanation is about hydraulic pressure around the coolant circuit. Removing the cap provides a low pressure zone, which the pump will attemp to fill before the downside coolant will circulate properly. Of course that can't happen, so it just keeps coming.

TC

bamberwell
15th June 2009, 16:37
There have been lengthy discussions on this behaviour and the consensus is they all do it. Running the engine with the pressure cap off isn't how it's supposed to operate. If everything's normal otherwise, I'd say it's all OK.

TC

thanks again for the quick reply mate! the AA man had it sat at 4000rpm last night once he'd topped it up and when he lowered the revs and then raised them again ,quite a bit of water came out everytime...........seemed a bit excessive to my senstive mechanical ears!!!!!!!:confused:

JohnDotCom
15th June 2009, 18:44
Just to ensure no Confusion re fan Part Numbers.

All Petrol engines (1.8/1.8T/2.0 V6/2.5 V6 and V8) should now use:
Part No: PGJ000100 Motor-cooling system fan - 450 W £357.53 + VAT
All Diesel Engined Cars Should use:
Part No: PGJ000110 Motor-cooling system fan - 450 W - Air conditioning £374.14 + VAT

The above is from June 2009 EPC and is for OEM Parts from XPart and their Outlets.