PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust

MXC
19th June 2009, 13:57
Following my little rear end shunt back in March, it was decided last week that the exhaust was bent requiring a new system.

This was completed yesterday but now the car seems to boom and sounds more like a V8 then V6.

Would this be the fact that the new system is of cheaper quality than the original or could there be any other causes?

It's not blowing as far as I can tell but I will check the new joint just behind the rear box as it has lots of gunk around it.

mikey_32
19th June 2009, 15:12
I had this years ago when I had a vauxhall cavalier 2.0i, I had my exhaust fitted by the fitters we like to trust in blue overalls and I have to say they completely bodged it up, after going back 3 or 4 times they admitted there was a problem and there was to much back pressure, in the end they replaced the complete exhaust system with a genuine Vauxhall system, I never had a problem after that, and I've never been back to Kw#kfit since

StevenWilliams
19th June 2009, 19:14
To many possible reasons.

Did they use MG Rover parts?
If not are the boxes double skinned as they should be?
Did they fit generic boxes or MG Rover copies?

If they fitted Generic boxes and made the pipes are they the same diameter.

If the exhaust was made for the car you should have been given the choice of how loud you want it.

MXC
22nd June 2009, 09:22
Update: The exhaust was supplied and fitted by Quickfit and is a Timax system. All I can think is that this is poor quality, so have been in touch with the garage and we are going to investigate what else can be done. The Rover part rear box is not availiable and of different size anyway. Or does anyone have any other ideas what to do?

chris75
22nd June 2009, 12:37
Just in defence of Timax, I put a new Timax back box on about 2 years ago. It has been fine, sounds just like the original , is very heavy suggesting there is a lot of metal in it , and looks externally as good as the day it went on . The quality of the work on the joint is of course, very important when fitting aftermarket boxes.

comanche
22nd June 2009, 13:36
When I had my exhaust change by a local company it to sounded more "sporty"
but as was pointed out to me the old exhaust was full of deposits the new one nice and clean.
mine has got better over time as it to collects deposits.

just my 2 penith worth
Robert

MXC
22nd June 2009, 19:16
After driving the garage guy round the block tonight and giving him a headache we looked under the car only to find that the pipes have been heated and bent to fit and the rear box sounds like it full of nothing but air..... to be continued.

Would i use kwikfit again? Not likely. Rather get the spanners out and skin a few knuckles.

MXC
1st July 2009, 11:35
The new box was fitted yesterday and the car is now whisper quiet..

So as a word of warning, in my view don't have a Timax system fitted as they are carp.

On inspection the back box was half depth of the Bosal one and had to be bent to fit. It also had two hangers rather than the strap as the original.

I feel that if and when the other Rovers that I own need to have exhausts I will be very choosy where I go.:)

After four months of agro this claim is now finalised.:getmecoat:

mikey_32
1st July 2009, 13:56
Ironic really that you have had the same problem with your exhaust that I had with my cavalier probably 10 years ago, quite amazing that I haven't set foot in any Kwikfit Depot since, I've gone else were and recieved much better service and none of the problems!!!
Still at least you've got it sorted out, did you say you now have a Bossal system fitted, reason for me asking is I've noticed that my back box is getting shall I say rather soft!!!