PDA

View Full Version : Different BCU

mantianak
20th June 2009, 11:51
Having a faulty alarm has driven me to look for a new BCU. The one I have is P/N YWC112330 now superceeded by YWC001000 (So Rimmer bros say). But I have seen a lot of different part numbers; presumably they are all different in some way. What exactly are the differences?

Does fitting a BCU different to the current one cause problems?

Simon
20th June 2009, 13:21
There are basically two types of BCU. Those for cars without electric rear windows and those with. I think the BCU's for the non-electric rear windows are cream in colour whereas the full electric window versions are black in colour.

It is worth noting though that if you are buying one second hand you should ensure you find one from a car that has *exactly* the same options and equipment on it so you can avoid a session on T4. Brand new ones and those from second-hand cars with differing specs to yours will require a session on T4 to enable and setup all the correct functions accordingly.

Hope that helps. :)

mantianak
20th June 2009, 14:31
Thanks Simon, you answeered what was going to be my second question too.

I've seen one on ebay for £20, even with the T4 it may work out cheaper. I should think a brand new unit would have default settings, any idea what they default would be? If my ZT has default (I don't know if it does) it may also work out cheaper to buy a new one as a straight swap.

jon75v6
20th June 2009, 14:40
There are basically two types of BCU. Those for cars without electric rear windows and those with. I think the BCU's for the non-electric rear windows are cream in colour whereas the full electric window versions are black in colour.

It is worth noting though that if you are buying one second hand you should ensure you find one from a car that has *exactly* the same options and equipment on it so you can avoid a session on T4. Brand new ones and those from second-hand cars with differing specs to yours will require a session on T4 to enable and setup all the correct functions accordingly.

Hope that helps. :)

i could of done with this info a few weeks ago when i asked the same thing:D

jcwatrichmond
21st June 2009, 08:22

Simon, what do you mean by 'electric rear window'?

John :confused:

DoDo
21st June 2009, 08:31
what do you mean by 'electric rear window'?

Not all cars have electric windows all round some only have electric fronts and manual wind rears.

Kandyman
21st June 2009, 08:33
Simon, what do you mean by 'electric rear window'?

I belive he's means the rear windows are electric not manual

Greeners
21st June 2009, 12:30
Having a faulty alarm has driven me to look for a new BCU. The one I have is P/N YWC112330 now superceeded by YWC001000 (So Rimmer bros say). But I have seen a lot of different part numbers; presumably they are all different in some way. What exactly are the differences?

Does fitting a BCU different to the current one cause problems?

I've got a YWC112330 from a ZT 190 that had electric windows all round.

If you want to try it, cover the p&p and I'll post it off to you

mantianak
21st June 2009, 17:21
That's very kind Greeners, you have a PM.

Do you know what features were enabled on that BCU?

Greeners
21st June 2009, 18:44
That's very kind Greeners, you have a PM.

Do you know what features were enabled on that BCU?

The car was a 190 ZT 2001 vintage, electric windows all round, air con and thats about it

mantianak
26th June 2009, 18:37
I have just fitted the replacement BCU (thanks greeners). Now the car doesn't lock :( Locks all doors by the key and interior lock button but not the fob. I thought it maybe the code is stored in the BCU but the car fires up so the immobiliser is allowing the code. Do I somehow have to set the key code to the new BCU somehow?

Any ideas?

Simon
26th June 2009, 18:44
Yes you probably need to re-sync the fobs with the car. I think a session on a Testbook is in order. The BCU holds the codes to the key fobs remote so if they aren't recognized then the car wont unlock (which is what you are experiencing). The immoboliser works in a slightly different (more complex) way so hence it's unaffected.

mantianak
26th June 2009, 18:53
Oh no, not a T4 session again! I'm not going back to the last garage that's for sure. I'll have to hunt down another local one.

mantianak
26th June 2009, 19:56
Had another idea - is there any way of forcing the alarm to activate without using a fob?

Greeners
26th June 2009, 19:58
Had another idea - is there any way of forcing the alarm to activate without using a fob?

Try locking the car with the key

mantianak
26th June 2009, 20:16
That doesn't activate the alarm, at least it didn't on my old 75. It's the same as pushing the interior lock button.

Also tried the lock 4 times re-sync method but didn't work. Although I've just read that somebody got it to work by doing the same but while it was in the ignition - make sense, I think there's some sensor in the barrell. Shall try that next :D

Greeners
26th June 2009, 20:21
That doesn't activate the alarm, at least it didn't on my old 75. It's the same as pushing the interior lock button.

Also tried the lock 4 times re-sync method but didn't work. Although I've just read that somebody got it to work by doing the same but while it was in the ignition - make sense, I think there's some sensor in the barrell. Shall try that next :D

just checked the handbook, if you lock the car by the key in the drivers lock, it will activate the alarm, flash the indicators 3 times and activate the red led on the dash. It won't superlock the car.

mantianak
26th June 2009, 20:40
Thanks greeners - I stand corrected. In that case the new BCU isn't arming the alarm either. I'll have another go tomorrow in case I did something wrong.