PDA

View Full Version : Change Out Pollen Filter

PaulPJ
22nd June 2009, 14:43
Hi Technical Chaps, again. I bought a new pollen filter and decided to change it after failing on the handbrake saga. I took the entire cover off that runs along bottom of windscreen including wipers but I cannot see away of getting the old totally filthy and disgusting filter out as the ECU is in the way. I could not find anything in the haynes manual that showed how to move the ECU and I really dont want to mess with it as it's scary and there is a tad drop of water that I would like to sort out and check the plenums too. How do you experts get the filter out please,please????? Paul :shrug:

GreyGhost
22nd June 2009, 14:49
7th on the left
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

The ECU simply slides up out of it's carrier, might need a gentle wiggle as it comes up, the cables are long enough to allow this. However I have never found it necessary to do that when changing filter or rodding drain.

have fun. :)

T-Cut
22nd June 2009, 16:52
You'll find the filter is easy to remove if you rotate it 45 degrees away from you after releasing it from the clips.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/BulbFitterGrimmace.gif

PaulPJ
22nd June 2009, 17:14
Thanks Chaps. The how to shows what looks like a smooth topped ECU but mine has a big plastic chuck on the top which is about 1 cm away from the filter but looking at the How to I will try lifting the ECU up after unclipping the two fat cables that go into the big plastic bit on top. Cheers and watch this space.

Rov5
22nd June 2009, 23:20
There was no way I could get the pollen filter out of my 2.0 Cdti without removing the ECU and that meant unplugging it cable not long enough to remove it from the tray.
Removal and replacement was simple after that.

Dragrad
23rd June 2009, 00:07
You have to move the ECU out of the way, but having done 2 CDT's have never had to unplug the cables.

ardvark
23rd June 2009, 00:52
I've never unplugged it either. Cause trouble would that anyway.

Al

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 07:56
Hi Chaps, I will go out and dismantle the panels, unclip the ECU cables from the body work and see if I can pull it out carefully. Figures crossed I dont mess up. Paul

vilas66
23rd June 2009, 10:43
Replaced the filter a couple of months ago; You do NOT need to unplug but only unclip the cables;
A 15 minutes job...
Cheers

T-Cut
23rd June 2009, 11:27
How easy the pollen filter is to withdraw from the plenum seems to vary considerably - even between identical models. The diesel seems to have the bulkiest ECU containment and there's also a variation in the length/slackness of its cabing. So, if you're lucky, the filter will withdraw without fuss. Unlucky and it's a bit of a chore.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Idiot23B.jpg
I just turned it a bit...

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 14:42
Hi T-Cut, it was a bit of a chore but I did it. I unclipped the two cables from where they are held against the body panel and with a bit of wiggling, out it popped. The plenum had a tiny bit of water in it so I stuck a .5" socket set extension bar down it and that cleaned it out. Put new filter in and then had a minor arguement with the cable clip but all done now, thanks to all the replies I had. Even had front bumper off to do the 'O' rings I bought off Jules but no need, it was fine so now have some spares. Fun putting the bumper back on your own but did it just as my wife arrived so didnt need her. Now need to research the model of the Webasto I have. Cheers...Paul

GrahamP
23rd June 2009, 15:32
"O" rings can be changed without removing front bumper.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38169

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 15:38
Hi GrahamP, I read that thread about doing it without taking the bumper off and was intriqued by it, but as I wanted to do some of those other front end jobs at the same time it made sense to whip it off.

Park Gate, I used to frequent that area many years ago when I was a teenager living in Botley and most of my teenage mates lived in that area. Mostly it was nights of 3 card brag in the Elm Tree (Swanwick Lane). Paul

Paul_1978
9th September 2011, 17:38
I was a pollen filter virgin until 6pm this evening, and found the swap a bit awkward, but managed to do it OK.

It would have been easier by taking off the whole windscreen scuttle and wipers, but was possible to do it without.... just all a bit of a squeeze!

bigcar
9th September 2011, 18:07
Hi Technical Chaps, again. I bought a new pollen filter and decided to change it after failing on the handbrake saga. I took the entire cover off that runs along bottom of windscreen including wipers but I cannot see away of getting the old totally filthy and disgusting filter out as the ECU is in the way. I could not find anything in the haynes manual that showed how to move the ECU and I really dont want to mess with it as it's scary and there is a tad drop of water that I would like to sort out and check the plenums too. How do you experts get the filter out please,please????? Paul :shrug:

I joined and subscribed to the club last week and the credit for me joining and subscribing goes to FLYER, he came up to my house last Sunday and changed the pollen filter in ten minutes and he left the ECU where it was and disconnected nothing! I must admit I couldn’t do it myself as I have hands like feet, but with a little bit of wiggling he had it fitted quicker than I could get him a torch. It can be done without removing the ECU, Just ask FLYER.

FLYER
9th September 2011, 18:12
I joined and subscribed to the club last week and the credit for me joining and subscribing goes to FLYER, he came up to my house last Sunday and changed the pollen filter in ten minutes and he left the ECU where it was and disconnected nothing! I must admit I couldn’t do it myself as I have hands like feet, but with a little bit of wiggling he had it fitted quicker than I could get him a torch. It can be done without removing the ECU, Just ask FLYER.Some ECUs are in a plastic box ALEX [unlike yours] and need moving to the side to gain access .

Yours was a doddle :D

Dashiel
9th September 2011, 18:43
just bend the paper filter to remove and fit.
be brave, it is just a bit of furry paper and cardboard after all.
every car I have owned has required this, from various manufacturers.

Trophy Blue Tourer
9th September 2011, 23:39
As far as I know!!:shrug::getmecoat:

All the diesel models have a bigger ECU plus a bigger housing/lots more wires too looking at the looms - so the ECU HAS to come out to change the pollen filter - but its just sliding the housing straight up out of its mounting and moving it to one side!! - yes its awkward to slide the filter out and the new one back in while holding the ECU out of the way but it is do-able and if your carefull the ECU box wont come open and it will slide straight back in if you position it properly!!

The petrols on the other hand have a much slimmer ECU/less wiring and even if its in place you can still "fiddle" the filter out and back in!! - even easyier if it has no plastic housing like a couple I have seen!!

If your worried about damaging the new filter then remove and re-fit the old one a couple times to work out the right method/angle before attempting it with the new one!!

HTH?

Andy

Arctic
9th September 2011, 23:50
Just change mine on the MG ZT without taking the ECU out 10 minute job or you can do it this way below. ;)
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69469

this is the old filter out of the MG ZT yuk
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vcumx5.jpg
Arctic

Trophy Blue Tourer
10th September 2011, 08:09
Just change mine on the MG ZT without taking the ECU out 10 minute job or you can do it this way below. ;)
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69469

this is the old filter out of the MG ZT yuk
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vcumx5.jpg
Arctic

Indeedy!! the pic posted above and pics 16 & 18 at the bottom of this post (nicked from Artics How Too - Many thanks there Artic!!;)) graphicly show the differences between the petrol and diesel access room for this job !! in the pic above you can clearly see that the new filter is sitting exactly where the Diesel ECU lives!!

The Pics below show just how close the Diesel ECU is to the face of the pollen filter!!:( - I think Artic would agree that you wont be getting a new one in undamaged without moving anything!! - although you might just get the old one out by bending/damaging it!!

Im guessing your ZT is a petrol model then Mate??:D

Andy

Arctic
10th September 2011, 19:36
Indeedy!! the pic posted above and pics 16 & 18 at the bottom of this post (nicked from Artics How Too - Many thanks there Artic!!;)) graphicly show the differences between the petrol and diesel access room for this job !! in the pic above you can clearly see that the new filter is sitting exactly where the Diesel ECU lives!!

The Pics below show just how close the Diesel ECU is to the face of the pollen filter!!:( - I think Artic would agree that you wont be getting a new one in undamaged without moving anything!! - although you might just get the old one out by bending/damaging it!!

Im guessing your ZT is a petrol model then Mate??:D

Andy

HI Andy
Yes my second car is a petrol MG ZT 190 lot easier to get to pollen filter you can do the diesel one but you will have scraped knuckles and hands just lift ECU carefully and all should be well you can even check the plenum at the same time ;) :D

Dashiel
11th September 2011, 17:43
looking at those photos, I can see how nonexistent the access is to the filter.
I can see how you need to move the ECU now.
Normally I would suggest greasing the parts box so it is easier to get out the next time... but as this is the ECU I won't :shrug:

yorkshirerover
19th September 2011, 18:33
What a great help that article on replacing the Pollen Filter...I finally got enough courage to do the job....particulary since the front passenger footwell was full of water,and after reading about water collecting around the pollen filter I had to do the job.Everything went ok and I would guess several pints of water had collected around the bottom drain...I assumed that this was where water was entering the car ??
The only hiccup was trying to get the ECU back on its mount which I only partly achieved...but it seemed to be a reasonable fit and it was going nowhere....thanks for the info