PDA

View Full Version : Charge Fault

lady zed
22nd June 2009, 20:22
Got this message and now the battery light is on constant. Could this be something to do with my satnav shorting at the weekend? Or do I need a new battery?

Phil
22nd June 2009, 20:26
Got this message and now the battery light is on constant. Could this be something to do with my satnav shorting at the weekend? Or do I need a new battery?

Hi Anna, likely culprit is the alternator, however as you say your satnav has shorted, does this coincide with the charge fault? Did the charge fault come on immediately after?

lady zed
22nd June 2009, 20:28
Hi Anna, likely culprit is the alternator, however as you say your satnav has shorted, does this coincide with the charge fault? Did the charge fault come on immediately after?

Well it came on maybe around 100 miles after the satnav shorted. Is the alternator a big job (expensive)?

Phil
22nd June 2009, 20:31
Well it came on maybe around 100 miles after the satnav shorted. Is the alternator a big job (expensive)?

I'm afraid so.:(
Its certainly worth having it checked out though just in case a fuse has been blown on the charging circuit after the short.

lady zed
22nd June 2009, 20:32
I'm afraid so.:(
Its certainly worth having it checked out though just in case a fuse has been blown on the charging circuit after the short.

How do I do that? Halfords?

pab
22nd June 2009, 20:42
charge fault means the alternator is not charging the system,go to an auto electrician and have it checked out

Departed
22nd June 2009, 20:59
Can I ask what you mean by the Satnav shorting?

Did a fuse go or something else. Did you just replace the fuse and nothing else?

It could be the alternator and as it's been dying, has caused a problem with the Nav. But it could be something else causing apparent problems with the alternator.

As already said, an automotive electrician is a better bet than HF. There, you might get someone who has a clue, but there's a very big chance you will get someone who doesn't.

Tam
22nd June 2009, 21:06
Hi Anna hope it is something simple but the same happened to me a couple of months ago and only diagnosis was new alternator . Posted some info here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36951&highlight=charge+fault . P.S. I presume the sat nav is still knackered then .

lady zed
22nd June 2009, 21:44
Amazingly I took the satnav back to Halfords, the pressed the reset button and it worked. Tam - did I ask you to sniff the stanav on Sat night? We could smell burning in the car, then when the satnav didn't work assumed it had burnt out. OK, not quite that drastic but co-incidence???

Now, assuming it is the altenator, how long have I got before the car dies on me? It's just I've offered to take my cousin to hospital tomorrow night to visit her husband who's just been diagnosed with lukemia. It's a reasonable distance, about 10 miles, don't want to get caught short.

Phil
22nd June 2009, 21:49
Amazingly I took the satnav back to Halfords, the pressed the reset button and it worked. Tam - did I ask you to sniff the stanav on Sat night? We could smell burning in the car, then when the satnav didn't work assumed it had burnt out. OK, not quite that drastic but co-incidence???

Now, assuming it is the altenator, how long have I got before the car dies on me? It's just I've offered to take my cousin to hospital tomorrow night to visit her husband who's just been diagnosed with lukemia. It's a reasonable distance, about 10 miles, don't want to get caught short.

I am sorry to hear that Anna. :(
If it is the alternator, you won't have any charging at all. Put simply, with all electrical loads on, headlamps, heaters brake lamps, fuel pumps, probably after 30 mins driving, I doubt it'll start.

JohnDotCom
22nd June 2009, 21:55
Sorry to hear of problems for you Anna :(
Is this covered by your Warranty?
As I also concur the Alternator has died, or wiring/fuse problem to it.
You won't have enough current in Battery to restart Anna without getting Battery charged.
It won't do that a lot of good either running that flat
but if its a Good One putting it on charge should bring it back to life.
A "urgent" attention I feel there for you I'm afraid.

lady zed
22nd June 2009, 22:00
So you think I won't even get to work tomorrow? Poo, now I'll need to figure out how to get it to the garage. I don't have bloomin home start. Could this be something to do with the petrol incident?

Phil
22nd June 2009, 22:04
So you think I won't even get to work tomorrow? Poo, now I'll need to figure out how to get it to the garage. I don't have bloomin home start. Could this be something to do with the petrol incident?

It shouldn't have anything to do with the petrol incident, no.

JohnDotCom
22nd June 2009, 22:06
Stick it on a Battery charger over night Anna
should then start and get you to Garage in morning.
Run as little electrical items as possible whilst in this condition to hold charge in battery.

billnick
23rd June 2009, 18:40
Anna, Have you checked to see if any oil has leaked from the power steering pump into the alternator as thats what happened to mine.

Bill.

lady zed
24th June 2009, 06:45
Car is now in a garage for a new altenator, the battery wasn't charging at all. £380 is tha damage. :mad:

derekosb
24th June 2009, 09:01
Car is now in a garage for a new altenator, the battery wasn't charging at all. £380 is tha damage. :mad:

Ouch Anna!! Sorry to hear that, although better news about the sat nav unit. Hopefully Honey will be back in top form soon.

Derek

pab
24th June 2009, 17:55
Car is now in a garage for a new altenator, the battery wasn't charging at all. £380 is tha damage. :mad:very expensive job,a good few hours labour are involved,is it a new unit or a reconditioned? hope you get back on the road soon

stocktake
24th June 2009, 18:05
Unlucky Anna, just one of them things though :(

lady zed
24th June 2009, 18:16
'Tis all done, brand new alternator and power steering clip and fluid cos they had to drain the power steering pump? Anyway, seems to have done the trick. Trouble free motoring from now on please.

stocktake
24th June 2009, 18:19
Probably the extra weight of a stolen flag, pole and base in the boot did it ;) :D

lady zed
24th June 2009, 18:57
Probably the extra weight of a stolen flag, pole and base in the boot did it ;) :D

I was thinking that myself. :p:

pab
24th June 2009, 20:30
nice to hear your sorted....hope you have a bit of trouble free motoring from now on

Tam
24th June 2009, 21:31

You did get me to sniff sat. nav. on sat. , a unusual request in anyone's book ! However glad you got sorted eventhough a costly business when garages need 5-6 hrs to change alternator . Keep your fingers crossed all goes well for a good while now cheers tam .

JohnDotCom
24th June 2009, 22:16
The Alternator is a horrid job to change on the Diesels.
I can vouch for that and can take many hours.
Book Time is 3.55 Hrs/Mins.

Ray Clayton
1st July 2009, 18:14
HI Cant understand why they had to touch the power steering Anna, but i just started to strip mine down to change so will let you know how i get on, am going see if it is possible to do without stripping everything off the car.

Some hope

Ray