PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Up/Installing Front Fogs

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 15:26
Hi Forum, I have just bought front fogs off YP53 and just need a few other bits and I'm ready to install them. As I recall, T-Cut once published the instructions on the forum but I have just done a search and cant find them. Greeners also talks about what to do. Can someone kindly publish the instructions again so I can print them off for when I have all the parts. Thanks you. Paul :drool4:

Parker
23rd June 2009, 15:33
Have a look here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23581&highlight=fog+lights

Might help :lol:

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 15:43
Hi Parker, you're a star, thats the instructions I was looking for. I will save the thread in favourites until I can find out where my wife has put the printer USB cable. Thank you very very much...Paul :D

Parker
23rd June 2009, 15:50
Glad I could help, nothing worse than not being able to find something. Good luck with the fitting.

PaulPJ
23rd June 2009, 16:07
Thanks Parker. Just emailed Les at SMC for a few bits so hopefully I will get the remaining bits soon and get them fitted. Hope the weather is good in your neck of the woods. Paul

Devilish
23rd June 2009, 21:10
All you need to replace on the switch unit is the front switch panel and not the complete unit, it just unclips and you detatch the ribbon cable. Do not be fooled by the "You need to use a new unit" rubbish I have seen on ebay.
I got one with a faulty module for £5, but alas, it had a front foglight switch which was the only bit I needed.

Unless it is faulty it is best to keep your original control unit anyway, no atter what switch unit you buy.

JohnDotCom
23rd June 2009, 21:11
If you change the light control unit (behind switch) you will require a Visit to a T4 to make it operational properly I believe.

PaulPJ
25th June 2009, 05:32
Hi JDC, I was wondering if this might be the case. Can you/anyone confirm this please. However, if I just do what Devilish says and replace the front panel and ribbon cable, would that still be the case? I have no idea where a garage in the New Forest that has a T4 would be. Paul

Greeners
25th June 2009, 06:05
The LSM (light switch module) consists of two parts.

The switch plate on the fron and the PCB that lays flat behind.

The switch panel is a simple "dumb" switch that turns the lights on and off.

The PCB is programmed via a T4 to the car as it's part of the security system to stop the car being clocked.

For fitting fogs, you only need to change the front panel, which is connected by a ribbon cable. And it can be a second user one as well...

HTH

PaulPJ
25th June 2009, 06:53
Thanks David, I will just change the front panel then. In fact YP53 did PM me to say he would send the front panel with the fogs so I dont even need to consider a complete LSM or T4.

Do I need to disconnect the battery when unplugging the LSM? Paul

Devilish
25th June 2009, 11:46
If you have a full wiring harness with 2 plugs at one end, and a small spade and earth ring at the other. You will need to lift the fusebox under the bonnet and dissconnect a plug. You then have to to detatch a wire as per instructions from the back of this plug and tape it to the loom. You then replace this wire with the wire from the fogs, and earth the other. that is all the wiring you need to do. I dissconected the battey for better safe than sorry reasons. Make sure you have your radio code, although this is quite easy to reset if you do not.

All you have to do then is swap the switch panel, it was good of JP53 to send you the front panel, you could have ended up paying over £20 for a unit.

You can remove the whole switch module by the 2 secring screws if it makes it easier for you to dissconect the ribbon cable the front switch panel.

You will find it best to detach the panel from the unit by unclipping it from the top first, you should be able to do it with your fingers.

Then detatch the ribbon cable from the switch panel by a small plug that is held in by two tiny lugs you have to pull apart, and not from the curcuit board inside the module

There will be no T4 requirements done this way, all will work as normal (except you wil have fogs as well)

You may find that you have to have the front fogs on to operate the rear fogs, I do, not sure if that is the same in all cases

Good luck

PaulPJ
25th June 2009, 16:05
Hi Devilish, you have answered a multitude of questions that I had in my head. I was looking at the installation instructions that Parker had given me the link to and noticed that I have to earth the fog light loom for one, but you have answered more questions than I dared ask. Also your bit about the Radio Code. I raised another thread on this because I didnt know how to enter the code for the Blaupunkt but that has been answered too, so as soon as the fogs arrive I will get them installed. Well, not immediately, I still need to get a wiring loom but apart from that I am ready. Cheers. Paul :D

Devilish
25th June 2009, 19:10
An oem loom with relay, zip clips etc is beneficial, and worth the money, they may be freely available I do not know. However I am sure JDC will find one if they are, but if you find it hard to get one, you may find the info below usefull

I made my own wiring loom in about 15 mins. When I bought my fogs he sent the plugs and the relay

If JP53 has sent the plugs to the fogs, and the relay, make your own, if not see if you can get them from him.

Put a connecor block on the wires comming from the N/S fog
Run 2 wires from this block to the other fog, (not cross connecting the + & -) and from the same block to the fusebox. Mark the other end of the earth wire at the fuse box to identify it. unplug the fogs and tape up nicely, loom style, and use plenty of tape
Connect the earth using a crimp earth ring, (I think I used the fuse box mounting bolt)

Cut off the pin you remove from the back of the fuse box plug, leaving enough wire to connect it to the live from the spots and simply plug it back in. Tape the wire you cut the pin from to the loom.

BUT you will need a relay, I had one that made it easy

I graft solder, and use shrink tube to connect wires, but well fitted and taped connector blocks inside the bumper are fine

JohnDotCom
25th June 2009, 21:35
I have looked and cannot believe the price for this,
Part No: YMQ103760 Harness-link - master lighting switch £171.55 + VAT
Must be another loom but cannot trace it I'm afraid.

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 06:05
Hi Chaps, I have had some responses from my wiring loom Wanted thread but I need to know the type of connectors. YP53 says the fogs should arrive today so I can then clarify the type. £171 is alot of money for what it is. Thanks to All for your invaluable help. Paul

Greeners
26th June 2009, 06:18
The fog light kit comes under accessories on EPC, (I'm at work at the moment so can't check)......there is a difference between the loom that's fitted in the factory to the one that's fitted afterwards, in that the factor fit loom includes the indicators and temp. sensor, where as the accessory one is fogs only (welll the other wiring already exists)

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 06:27
Hi Greeners, EPC? Paul

Greeners
26th June 2009, 06:27
Hi Greeners, EPC? Paul

Electronic Parts Catalogue

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 06:42
Thanks Greeners, are they online or is that a CD? Paul

JohnDotCom
26th June 2009, 07:33
It is a Copyrighted Disc of XPart that lists all the Parts and Illustrations with prices monthly to Dealers.
The Club has a legal copy supplied monthly via XPart.
it is not available, legally, to the Public,
but Part Numbers are looked up for members.

The after fit lead isn't illustrated on EPC, now found, but is around £23 + VAT.YMQ103290Harness-link14.423YMQ000600Harness-link121.39

EDIT: Part No: YMD001130 Harness-front end - (NOT ILLUSTRATED) £22.98 + VAT

YMQ103290 Harness-link £4.42 + VAT
YMQ000600 Harness-link £21.39 + VAT

Reebs
26th June 2009, 07:43
Found it for you guys: YMQ103290 Harness-link £4.42 + VAT up to VIN number ...217660

Then it's this part number: YMQ000600 Harness-link £21.39 + VAT (except Automatic Diesel) whatever that refers too?

Enter the part numbers in the box here to check availability :smilie_re: http://www.thepart.com/en/search/

Hope that helps

JohnDotCom
26th June 2009, 07:57
The early Automatic Diesels (pre 217661) can't have Fog Lights fitted due to the oil Cooler.

Reebs
26th June 2009, 08:01
The early Automatic Diesels (pre 217661) can't have Fog Lights fitted due to the oil Cooler.

Thanks JDC, that explains it then. :bowdown: lets hope the OP's car doesn't fall into that category (they do have a CDT)

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 08:26
Hi Chaps, its a 5 speed manual, 0 to 60 timed using a calendar. Paul :D

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 08:41
Hi Reebs, sent you a PM Paul

Devilish
26th June 2009, 09:08
PaulPJ, if the wiring kit is a sad price, and you feel unsure about DIY,then send me the fog plugs, and the pin cut from the fusebox plug with 3" of wire if possible (or as long as possible), with £10 + 3 first class stamps, and I will make you a loom and post it back to you. PM me if interested.

You will just need the relay for the fusebox

Typical, I searched my garage for 2 fog plugs I had in there for ages, but when I had the garage coverted to a double last yer I had quite a cull, and lots of things went, I could have just made him a bleedin harness. Just spoke to a mate who fitted then to his facelift in March, he thinks it had Rover on the box. It contained a loom, 6 screws, a zip clip, and relay. he found the fitting instructions, in the pic of the loom, relay etc on page 1 is the number below
XPT 000095A ACA

the instructions detail the facelift, but the wiring is the same as the pre facelift.
He said it was about £11, he has gone out but will ask him later where he got it from

EDIT it was £21 with postage, and it was a new genuine part, he threw the box, he bought it from a eBay powerseller below

Username = clearance_parts_mg_rover

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 09:20
Hi Stephen, PM sent. Paul

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 09:35
Hi Chaps, my VIN ends in 3D265534, so does that mean part YMQ103290 is for me, also, it is refered to as Harness Link, but is this the loom?? I guess it still depends on checking the plug for the fogs when they arrive. Post is always late here. Thanks Paul

Devilish
26th June 2009, 10:32
Your VIN 265534
Is above 217660

So this is the one
YMQ000600

According to thepart.com XPart have it, and the price seems the same as my mate paid, and well worth £21, I would check if the kit contains screws, relay and zip clips

PaulPJ
26th June 2009, 10:43
Thanks Devilish, my maths went wrong I think. Thats what happens when you have a week off, brain packs up. Still no post so type of connector still unknown. Paul :getmecoat:

Reebs
26th June 2009, 10:44
Hi Reebs, sent you a PM Paul

Paul, PM returned ;)

Greeners
26th June 2009, 19:47
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447bf0bc0135fb.jpg

Difference in connectors, don't ask me which is which though

steve107
26th June 2009, 19:51
if any one want the harness part number YMD001130 THEY CAN HAVE FOR PRICE OF PP IT FITS THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IN PIC ABOVE

PaulPJ
27th June 2009, 11:49
Hi Greeners and Steve107, Firstly thanks to both of you for your help in my quest. Now I know the 2 types of connectors getting the correct loom will be easier once the fogs arrive (the postal service out here is not good). So, as soon as they arrive I will look at the connectors and if its the same as the righthand picture I will contact you Steve107 for a price for. Many thanks Paul

PaulPJ
30th June 2009, 07:04
Hi Greeners and Steve107, the fogs arrived yesterday and they are the same connectors as the ones on the right. :drool4: Steve107, I will PM you for a price. Paul