PDA

View Full Version : Water leak.

Phil
23rd June 2009, 19:28
When I got my new 75 home, even though it had been 'cleaned' it was not what I would call clean so I set about stripping the thing to bits to give it a proper clean. There was a lot of rusty staining in the boot which I put down to the fact that it may have had the spare tyre changed in the rain. Cleaned it all out all nice.

No. I opened the boot this morning to chuck my sandwiches in and the carpet was soaked. It rained last night. I seem to recall this was also a party trick of my first saloon but I greatly improved it by sealing the clips that stick through the body that can be seen if you look up/shine a torch into the panel above the boot. I never completely cured it and always suspected that the rear window needed resealing. Has anyone had the same as this, water can be felt if you put your fingers up into the panel above the boot, directly below the window.

Fraser Mitchell
23rd June 2009, 19:41
Has the car got a sun-roof. It they leak the water can get into all sorts of strange places !

Phil
23rd June 2009, 19:43
Has the car got a sun-roof. It they leak the water can get into all sorts of strange places !

No. :)

JohnDotCom
23rd June 2009, 21:58
Often the rear light seals kaput.
Also check trim and Number plate mountings etc Phil.

If you have Sat Nav in there get it out and dried
(following normal shut down procedures of course, but don't have to tell you that Phil). ;)

Phil
23rd June 2009, 22:01
Often the rear light seals kaput.
Also check trim and Number plate mountings etc Phil.

If you have Sat Nav in there get it out and dried
(following normal shut down procedures of course, but don't have to tell you that Phil). ;)

Cheers, I'm certain its not anything to do with the boot lid or lights as the leak is further back, toward the seats. I think I'm going to have to put Jackie in the boot and hose the car off.

Greeners
23rd June 2009, 22:04
If the leak is further back, lay out news paper to catch the drips.......Unlikely to be the screen as it's bonded in.....having said that, the bonding on my tourer screen leaks like a sieve

Phil
23rd June 2009, 22:14
If the leak is further back, lay out news paper to catch the drips.......Unlikely to be the screen as it's bonded in.....having said that, the bonding on my tourer screen leaks like a sieve

Trouble is, other than the screen, I can't see what else there is above it or near it to leak! I could see the pool of water quite clearly on the carpet and could feel the water on the panels under the parcel shelf and rear window.

JohnDotCom
23rd June 2009, 22:21
Could quite possibly be poor bonding of rear screen.
I have seen this once or twice. (not on Greeners car though)

kaiser
24th June 2009, 05:04
Serves you right, bet you did not use OAT!!! :p::D

Departed
24th June 2009, 12:09

Sorry? Tourer rear screens aren't bonded in. In fact, they aren't fixed at all.

Do you mean the side screens?

The_Monk
24th June 2009, 12:26
My rear windscreen leaks. I still need to fix it. It looks as if its the clips/rubber blocks?? that fix through the body. If you gently lift the window seal up a bit so you can see underneath there are black block type things which I believe is the source of my leak. Was going to get handy with the silicon but I only remember when it rains!

amableson
24th June 2009, 12:29
Phil
Is it a tourer, my rear flip up bit on the back leaks occasionally and i found the best way to stop it was a spray of some silicone grease on the seal and round the main seal as all seals with age become less pliable, the silicone seems to 'nourish' the material and it seals better.

Starting to clap flippers together now!!!

Departed
24th June 2009, 12:36
My rear windscreen leaks. I still need to fix it. It looks as if its the clips/rubber blocks?? that fix through the body. If you gently lift the window seal up a bit so you can see underneath there are black block type things which I believe is the source of my leak. Was going to get handy with the silicon but I only remember when it rains!

The little black rubber blocks are spacers, to maintain the spacing of the glass from the body.

The screen is held in only by the polyurethane black stuff (PU) which seals it too. The only clips present are those that hold the chrome trim strip onto the little T pegs welded to the body.

If the spacers have been put in the run of PU they could theoretically allow water to pass through the bond, but they should only be on one edge.

Your problem is with any of these, the leak could be anywhere around the periphery and only showing at the bottom.

Someone recommended Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure for a similar problem.

James.uk
24th June 2009, 14:54
When the bonded windscreen on my ZX started to leak, about two years ago, I -- Run a blunt screwdriver along inside the rubber edge of the bottom rubber-plastic seal, at the same time blasting into the slot I was creating very liberally with a can of silicone sealer, wipe off any surplus, and *touch wood* not had anymore problems with it.. :lol:

The_Monk
24th June 2009, 18:50
The little black rubber blocks are spacers, to maintain the spacing of the glass from the body.

The screen is held in only by the polyurethane black stuff (PU) which seals it too. The only clips present are those that hold the chrome trim strip onto the little T pegs welded to the body.

If the spacers have been put in the run of PU they could theoretically allow water to pass through the bond, but they should only be on one edge.

Your problem is with any of these, the leak could be anywhere around the periphery and only showing at the bottom.

Someone recommended Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure for a similar problem.

I was just going to run some silicone underneath the rubber strip to see if it made a difference. The leak isnt major, varies from damp patch to a few drops on the carpet which I have been keeping an eye on everytime it rains as this is the time I remember! :o

Phil
24th June 2009, 18:53
My first 75 saloon did this and I put some sealer around the white stick through spikey clips and it slowed tge leak down considerably!

Phil
24th June 2009, 18:54
Phil
Is it a tourer, my rear flip up bit on the back leaks occasionally and i found the best way to stop it was a spray of some silicone grease on the seal and round the main seal as all seals with age become less pliable, the silicone seems to 'nourish' the material and it seals better.

Starting to clap flippers together now!!!

Its a saloon. But both of my tourers leaked on occasion too!

Lates
24th June 2009, 19:31
The screen allignment blocks sound more probable in the case. Not much fun seal and iirc a bit pricey too if one breaks.

Departed
24th June 2009, 19:58
The screen allignment blocks sound more probable in the case. Not much fun seal and iirc a bit pricey too if one breaks.

I assume you mean the screen rather than the blocks?:D

Lates
24th June 2009, 21:44
I assume you mean the screen rather than the blocks?:D

The one I repaired did not have gaps in the PU sealant. Water was coming around / through the clips