PDA

View Full Version : Fan problems???

willster
25th June 2009, 16:22
Ive just read a thread stating my fan should come on when my aircon is engaged. However it doesnt?! ive looked through my grille and cant see the resistor thing some seem to have. Please can someone tell me where to go from here,as i cant afford to take the car to a garage.Car is 00 CDT, Many thanks :shrug:

JohnDotCom
25th June 2009, 19:19
It sounds as if you have a 3 speed fan which is now Kaput and will require replacing.
Don't turn on Air Con whilst you have a faulty fan, it will destroy the Air Con Compressor.

Two speed fans are the way to go now,
either genuine OEM with a Jules resistor or go the Kenlowe cheaper alternative.
PM Jules for Prices and availability.
He also does a Full Install service but is based in North Wales,
he will also come out and do it but there is a mileage charge on top.

Other suggestions will be forthcoming.

stocktake
25th June 2009, 19:41
Two speed fans are so reliable you could source one from a breakers and replace the resistor to a better one. Make sure you get one from a Diesel though as the control boxes are very different.

There is a fan bodge on here somewhere that converts the middle speed to the low speed ( providing the motor works on medium speed) but it would be a short term solution.

Other solution is to obtain a replacement brushes and fit them to the existing motor. Again, this repair depends on the owerall condition of the motor.

willster
25th June 2009, 22:06
It sounds as if you have a 3 speed fan which is now Kaput and will require replacing.
Don't turn on Air Con whilst you have a faulty fan, it will destroy the Air Con Compressor.

Two speed fans are the way to go now,
either genuine OEM with a Jules resistor or go the Kenlowe cheaper alternative.
PM Jules for Prices and availability.
He also does a Full Install service but is based in North Wales,
he will also come out and do it but there is a mileage charge on top.

Other suggestions will be forthcoming.
thats brilliant,thanks for the speedy reply. How would i be able to tell if a new fan at a breakers was a two speed? And what exactly would i need to harvest,just the fan itself?!

willster
25th June 2009, 22:08
Two speed fans are so reliable you could source one from a breakers and replace the resistor to a better one. Make sure you get one from a Diesel though as the control boxes are very different.

There is a fan bodge on here somewhere that converts the middle speed to the low speed ( providing the motor works on medium speed) but it would be a short term solution.

Other solution is to obtain a replacement brushes and fit them to the existing motor. Again, this repair depends on the owerall condition of the motor.
cheers for the info, think i will try get a two speed from a breakers and re-fit with one of jules's resistors.