PDA

View Full Version : Problems, Problems Problems!

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 17:59
Right, where to begin?

Driving along this evening, turned onto dual carriageway and put foot down to accelerate and the car really struggled, there were short surges in power followed by the power dropping off. The car struggled to about 50mph and then seemed to take off as normal. While accelerating the car didnt seem to change gear and went to about 4000rpm before I had to back off. Happened like this for about 6 or 7 miles until I got home. No smoke from exhaust and no unusual noises from engine. No warning lights on dash. It just struggled for power, I was easily beaten away from the lights by a 1.2 Corsa?!?!:confused: However, the problem only seemed to happen when I put my foot down fairly hard to accelerate. Pulling away gently and normal driving felt fine. Using the kickdown also produced the severe lack of power. There was also a huge delay in acceleration, a second or 2 before the car responded.

My car has Synergy 2 fitted and on setting 10, pierburg maf fitted 2 months ago, EGR vacuum pipe blocked off, air intake mod 2, Viton Intercooler O rings fitted. It had oil change 500 miles ago, along with air, pollen and fuel filter (not OEM parts).

The car has occassionally had a very lumpy idle which felt like the car was dropping and then picking up revs. This has happened whether cold or warm engine. Also my fan was on high speed with aircon on, but this is seperate issue since having fan replaced!

Could it be the cheapo fuel filter I used? The under bonnet pump is working fine, not had time to check intank pump.

I'm nearing the end of my patience with this car! Please help! :shrug:

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 18:55
Would the fan being on high speed cause engine power loss?

kaiser
25th June 2009, 19:07
No!.......

James.uk
25th June 2009, 20:15
Sounds to me as though you have not got your synergy 2 box set up correctly. The wrong MAF setting can cause a delay when you put your foot down, so I think you should turn it all off and set the MAF up again..

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 20:27
My Synergy 2 only has one dial, numbered 1 to 10, and two switches, one for mafam and one for tuning.

I have had it on setting 6 for ages with no problems. Recently changed the air, oil and fuel filters and switched synergy to setting 10, since then I've had the lumpy idle, then today the power loss.

So I reckon its either the cheap non OEM fuel filter I used, or the synergy set to 10 that is causing my problem.

Simon
25th June 2009, 20:29
Would the fan being on high speed cause engine power loss?

No!.......

Let me elaborate on the short answer above....

The fan speeds do not affect engine performance, however - the fact your fan is running at high speed is a worry in itself. Usually the diesels do not overheat and so I can only presume your low-speed setting on your fan has failed. Might be worth investigating this in another thread to help continuity in both subjects.

Simon
25th June 2009, 20:32
My Synergy 2 only has one dial, numbered 1 to 10, and two switches, one for mafam and one for tuning.

I have had it on setting 6 for ages with no problems. Recently changed the air, oil and fuel filters and switched synergy to setting 10, since then I've had the lumpy idle, then today the power loss.

So I reckon its either the cheap non OEM fuel filter I used, or the synergy set to 10 that is causing my problem.

My thoughts would be on the Synergy - you are over fueling the engine, in effect 'drowning' the pots with too much diesel. They then can't combust properly thus giving you poor performance. This is exaggerated more so when you put your foot down as you are asking for more fuel, but there is already too much in there, so to speak.

The lumpy idle is another side effect where the ECU cannot quite compensate for the over-boosted signal it's getting from the Synergy.

Hope that helps. :)

FROGGY
25th June 2009, 20:45
Chris
Setting 10 on the Synergy is for Bosch MAF's. With a Pierburg fitted you should have the MAF section turned off if you wish to use 10.
I have posted previously on how to set up Ron's box CORRECTLY, but if you don't want all the hassle, just turn back down to 6 and see if your problems go away!
The high speed fan running with A/C on is a different problem (one I am fighting with at the moment), so treat the two seperately.

HTH

Mick

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 20:48
Let me elaborate on the short answer above....

The fan speeds do not affect engine performance, however - the fact your fan is running at high speed is a worry in itself. Usually the diesels do not overheat and so I can only presume your low-speed setting on your fan has failed. Might be worth investigating this in another thread to help continuity in both subjects.

Hi Simon,

My fan does have low speed working ok, I've just had new fan and motor fitted couple of weeks ago under AA warranty. My fan problem is that when I switch Aircon on, the fan comes on slow speed but within a few seconds the fan increases to high speed which is extremely noisy and also no good for the car I fear! So I need to get it taken back in to have this looked at.

During normal driving without aircon on, the low speed hardly ever comes on unless sat in traffic in hot weather, then goes off after minute or so when temp of coolant drops.

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 20:51
Chris
Setting 10 on the Synergy is for Bosch MAF's. With a Pierburg fitted you should have the MAF section turned off if you wish to use 10.
I have posted previously on how to set up Ron's box CORRECTLY, but if you don't want all the hassle, just turn back down to 6 and see if your problems go away!
The high speed fan running with A/C on is a different problem (one I am fighting with at the moment), so treat the two seperately.

HTH

Mick

Thanks for that Mick, that would explain the recent lumpy idle etc since switching to setting 10! I'm gonna go and try it now with mafam switched off.

I have been monitoring your problems regarding high speed of fan as it does appear to be similar to mine. I commented on your thread stating that a regas had cured mine, however it seems i was wrong as its still switching to high speed when aircon switched on.

chrislloydie
25th June 2009, 21:31
Okay guys, problem solved.

Mick, James and Simon, you were all correct! :o

I went out and turned the Synergy back to setting 6 and Voila!

The car goes like stink again! Even got some wheelspin from a standing start in my Auto!

So thanks again guys! Seems I should not have doubted my car! :getmecoat:

just the cooling fan to be sorted now then.

JohnDotCom
25th June 2009, 21:38
Not sure about the Synergy 2 models but on the earlier Synergy models you MUST have the MAF (Mafam) section on for a Pierburg MAF
otherwise it doesn't work.

Simon
25th June 2009, 22:38
Good to hear it was a simple remedy :)