PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master Cylinder

Radreaga
6th November 2006, 21:14
Hi
A few weeks ago my clutch pedal went to the floor as i were changing gear,I felt at the pedal were able to pull it back into position and worked perfectly again
A few days ago it happenend again and I asked a friend who is a mechanic and he said it would probably be the master cylinder he also said if I had that changed it would probably blow the seals in the slave cylinder which would mean gearbox out to replace and if I went so far it be better to fit a new clutch at the same time, by now Im trembeling at what it is going to cost me.
I booked it in at my local Rover agents they diagnosed cluth master cylinder and fitted a new one cost £232.00 inc vat.
Everything seems fine.:) :bigsmile:

Mike
6th November 2006, 21:23
Glad all is working OK but to be honest you may find it doesn't work for long :( The master cylinder is linked directly to the slave and if the slave is the problem then a new master will not sort it. The slave is inside the bell housing and usually it makes sense to change the clutch at the same time as sorting a new slave cylinder.

The garage will/should know this and I'm surprised that they didn't discuss it with you.

I hope that things stay OK but if not let us know so you can be 'armed' when you go back to the garage

Mike :)