PDA

View Full Version : Cigar lighter socket

EXMSRalph
26th June 2009, 18:36
In the manual it states "DO NOT plug accessories into the cigar lighter socket". Any idea why you can't use accessories in the standard socket?

Simon
26th June 2009, 18:52
I think probably due to "Health and Safety" concerns. The cigar lighter wiring is probably more than adequate for lighting up one's smokes (:D) and running a few low-power accessories but some things on the market today can draw a fair amount of power and so to prevent you doing something bad to your cars electrics is would be wise to fit a dedicated hard-wired accessory socket to use instead of the cigar lighter.

That said, I've used the cigar lighter many-a-times for mobile phones and similar devices with no ill-effects.

Pedro
26th June 2009, 19:06
In the manual it states "DO NOT plug accessories into the cigar lighter socket". Any idea why you can't use accessories in the standard socket?

Ralph, I read that the cigar lighter socket has slots cut in the side of it and the older type of plug with thin wire earth connections can get caught in the socket. Newer plugs tend to have broader earth connections which can't get caught. Accessory sockets don't have any slots cut in the side I believe.

Sponge
26th June 2009, 19:27
Most lighters have a ni-chrome element, and draw between 15 & 20 Amps.
Mobile phones usualy draw between 0.5 to 0.9 Amps.
Check the Amps of what you want to plug in, ofcourse the higher the consumption, the shorter time it should be used.

Hope this is of use.

David

EXMSRalph
26th June 2009, 21:50
Well, I have an official replacement auxiliary socket in stock (replaces the cigar lighter socket) and it looks the same, except that it has an insulating ring around the end contact. The sides look the same as the original cigar lighter.

Pedro
26th June 2009, 22:41
Well, I have an official replacement auxiliary socket in stock (replaces the cigar lighter socket) and it looks the same, except that it has an insulating ring around the end contact. The sides look the same as the original cigar lighter.

In which case the handbook is probably a cunning attempt to sell auxiliary sockets! I have a non-Rover auxiliary socket in my glove compartment and have used both this and the cigar lighter socket to power accessories without any problems. The cigar lighter socket is awkwardly placed for accessories though.

StevenWilliams
26th June 2009, 23:42
Could it just be due to the proximity to the gear knob?:shrug:

I know if I put my phone charger in the lighter socket I cannot put the gear shifter into park without damaging something.

Dragrad
26th June 2009, 23:46
Could it just be due to the proximity to the gear knob?:shrug:

I know if I put my phone charger in the lighter socket I cannot put the gear shifter into park without damaging something.

There is a way of avoiding that problem....

I've a 1-3 way splitter which jams neatly between the centre console and the passenger seat, allowing you to run accessories without the cables interfering with your dash and the passenger. :D

StevenWilliams
26th June 2009, 23:58
There is a way of avoiding that problem....

I've a 1-3 way splitter which jams neatly between the centre console and the passenger seat, allowing you to run accessories without the cables interfering with your dash and the passenger. :D

I just installed power into the boot and under the dash. I now connect everything up out of the way and hidden like :D

Dragrad
27th June 2009, 00:05
I just installed power into the boot and under the dash. I now connect everything up out of the way and hidden like :D

How did you do this?

I think members would be appreciable of a "How to.." in this aspect of mods. :)

I want/need to connect a 30 Amp power source into the cabin, have got a few ideas, but would like to see if you've found a better way... ? :D:D

StevenWilliams
27th June 2009, 00:09
How did you do this?

I want/need to connect a 30 Amp power source into the cabin, have got a few ideas, but would like to see if you've found a better way... ? :D:D

I'll post one up. I had a spare 30 amp going into the fuse bay for the towbar. I've used this for the seats and front and boot power sockets. As I added loads of extra fuses using a 8 way fusebox I figured the load will never be over 30 amps anyhow so why not.

Got to go to bed now. Going to Biggin hill airshow in the morning. It's a special day you know ;):D

GrahamP
27th June 2009, 00:17
Cigar lighter sockets have 2 spring contact that grip the outside of the element when it is pushed in holding it in contact with the live centre contact. When it reaches the required temp the 2 spring contacts expand outwards allowing the heated element to spring back allowing you to remove the unit.

These 2 spring contact are live and some plugs for accessories have metal earthing straps on the side that go almost to the end these can make contact with the 2 live contacts giving a dead short.

The official replacement auxiliary socket doesn't have the 2 live spring contacts and also has an insulating ring around it to prevent the earth strips on the side of the plug making contact with the live centre.

Usually the cigar lighter socket is supplied via a 10 amp fuse.

Dragrad
27th June 2009, 00:18
I'll post one up. I had a spare 30 amp going into the fuse bay for the towbar. I've used this for the seats and front and boot power sockets. As I added loads of extra fuses using a 8 way fusebox I figured the load will never be over 30 amps anyhow so why not.

Got to go to bed now. Going to Biggin hill airshow in the morning. It's a special day you know ;):D

Good for you :D

As for Biggin Hill, enjoy the day and the history:D:D

comanche
27th June 2009, 11:53
How did you do this?

Hi Dragrad

I did post up a how to when I fitted my aux sockets.
this will work for you if you have the early fuse box.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38611
this might give you some ideas

Dragrad
27th June 2009, 16:46
Hi Dragrad

I did post up a how to when I fitted my aux sockets.
this will work for you if you have the early fuse box.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38611
this might give you some ideas

You did indeed sir, and I saved it in my "How to... " file.

Just, at 01.18 am with some fermented apple juice, is not the best time to remember such things :o;)

comanche
27th June 2009, 18:59
You did indeed sir, and I saved it in my "How to... " file.

Just, at 01.18 am with some fermented apple juice, is not the best time to remember such things :o;)

Not A problem know the feeling.

if you need any other info feel free to ask