PDA

View Full Version : xenon lights self leveling

johnny t
26th June 2009, 19:11
hi does anyone know if there is anyway of testing the lights self leveling sensors ,my lights seem to have gone to some sort of default height (about 8 foot in front of car)i I am assuming it's the sensors but which one ? and where could i find one? Thanks in advance

chrislloydie
26th June 2009, 19:26
hi does anyone know if there is anyway of testing the lights self leveling sensors ,my lights seem to have gone to some sort of default height (about 8 foot in front of car)i I am assuming it's the sensors but which one ? and where could i find one? Thanks in advance

Have a search of the forums mate as I believe there is a problem with some sort of sensor arm or something in the wheel arch which sometimes flips over and causes problems similar to what you're experiencing. I believe its often caused when changing wheels or jacking car up etc.

HTH

Greeners
26th June 2009, 19:33
sensors live on the offside, one front, one back. The lights will dip to about 6 feet if one of the arms snaps or flips over..

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447bdc4f7dc34f.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447c4706be3f39.jpg

johnny t
26th June 2009, 19:37
unfortunately it's not that simple, that's something i have already checked ,thanks for the suggestion though

Greeners
26th June 2009, 19:41
unfortunately it's not that simple, that's something i have already checked ,thanks for the suggestion though

The sensors are BMW, so you might be able to source one that way.

It's worth taking each one off and inspecting that the arms aren't twisted or broken.

You might want to check the wiring behind the bumper too, as this is a weak spot

T-Cut
26th June 2009, 21:12
Do xenon HIDs not have the same adjuster screws on the lamp cases? I'd have thought they would be required to allow you to get the deault 'level' for the automatic system to work with.

TC

Simon
26th June 2009, 21:19
Yes the Xenon HID's do have the manual level adjusters on the lights themselves but I do not know how much travel the adjuster will give you.

I'd back up Greeners suggestions with checking wiring and/or sensor function to be the most likely cause of the poor beam distribution as (as the OP rightly suggests) they default to their minimum height setting if they cannot find a sensor input or if the sensor input is in anyway abnormal.

courier118
26th June 2009, 21:27

If the sensor arms seem alright and check out okay,the usual suspect is the wiring loom that rubs through on the chassis rail behind the bumper.If you remove the bumper,it is easily remedied by slicing a plastic or rubber tube and sliding it over the offending chassis rail section.A little tip that can work to see if this is your problem,doesnt always work,takes minutes to do,jiggle the headlamp wiring loom by reaching down as far as you can,to see if it moves the wires away from the chassis rail.Try the lamps again and if they level out,then you know its your problem.Like i said,doesnt always work.

ben the blip
11th September 2009, 10:28
The sensors are BMW, so you might be able to source one that way.

It's worth taking each one off and inspecting that the arms aren't twisted or broken.

You might want to check the wiring behind the bumper too, as this is a weak spot

Thanks Greeners, excellent info and I'm really glad I found this forum.
I apparently have front & rear units gone (rusted out on my ZT-T 190+) and understand they are so far back on MG "back order" as to be almost prehistoric - perhaps those nice men who managed to make £42m out of MG/Rover's demise have a few units stashed away somewhere?
Just in case they don't, would you know if the BMW units are the same part for any self-levelling model, or are they model specific and if so, which one should I be chasing?
Thanks again and hope you can point me in the right direction.
BtB

Greeners
12th September 2009, 07:21
Thanks Greeners, excellent info and I'm really glad I found this forum.
I apparently have front & rear units gone (rusted out on my ZT-T 190+) and understand they are so far back on MG "back order" as to be almost prehistoric - perhaps those nice men who managed to make £42m out of MG/Rover's demise have a few units stashed away somewhere?
Just in case they don't, would you know if the BMW units are the same part for any self-levelling model, or are they model specific and if so, which one should I be chasing?
Thanks again and hope you can point me in the right direction.
BtB

Ben

It's really a case of taking one off and going to a bmw dealer and hoping the parts department can identify it

It'll probably be off an E39, but don't quote me on it.

smiffyuk
16th September 2009, 10:09
in the pic of the front adjuster sensor, is that how it should look or is it 'flipped over'?

on mine the arm from the wishbnoe goes straight up and then the other arm is horizontal to the sensor if you get what i mean!

T-Cut
16th September 2009, 11:08
The sensor links in the Post 3 photo have flipped, making it inoperable. The arms should be forming an open 'square' with the suspension arm.

TC

smiffyuk
16th September 2009, 11:38
cheers mate! mine are ok then!

aircub
24th December 2014, 17:23
I realise this is an old thread, but my lights seemed to have stopped levelling. Will have a check over the holidays to see if the sensor or bracket has failed as shown in this thread.

Question, if the levelling has failed is it an MOT failure point.?

T-Cut
24th December 2014, 23:28
Question, if the levelling has failed is it an MOT failure point.?

'Fraid so. If a levelling system is fitted it must be operational. If the system is clearly inoperable, a failure will result.

TC

aircub
25th December 2014, 08:21
'Fraid so. If a levelling system is fitted it must be operational. If the system is clearly inoperable, a failure will result.

TC

Thought so, so a job for tomorrow whilst the dinner is cooking....
:christmas:

VMax1000
25th December 2014, 12:08

TC

Do they really ever check that?

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be give

Most MoT station don't check, get out clause is 'may be fitted'
If unsure they just look at the headlight aim or say 'Couldn't be tested'

T-Cut
25th December 2014, 21:49
The MOT 'Handbook' says that if fitted, a levelling system must be operable/fuctional. It doesn't go into detail as to how that might be done. So technically it's a fail, but apparently subject to the tester's inclination to test it.

TC

Ched
25th December 2014, 21:54
Mine failed last week because it was pointing down and the mot man couldn't get it anywhere near correct because the manual adjuster was spinning on its rod, so had to do a bodge job with a spring clip to get the level correct then it was passed.
I now have to pull it apart and and try to make it work correctly.

aircub
26th December 2014, 10:16
To check the levelling system, do you need to take off the under tray.? At the back where am i looking.? There is no help in the Haynes manual.

T-Cut
26th December 2014, 10:55
The sensors are attached to the front and rear offside suspension arms and the 'chassis'. Later models only have a single unit at the front.
The front sensor access requires removal of the wheel arch liner.

There are photos of both units in Post 4 here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21583

Both leveller ams seen here have flipped and the rear arm has detached from the suspension.

TC

aircub
26th December 2014, 15:00
The sensors are attached to the front and rear offside suspension arms and the 'chassis'. Later models only have a single unit at the front.
The front sensor access requires removal of the wheel arch liner.

There are photos of both units in Post 4 here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21583

Both leveller ams seen here have flipped and the rear arm has detached from the suspension.

TC

Are these picture looking at the drivers or passengers arch..

Is there anyway of seeing this assembly without removing the wheel and wheel arch liner.?

350zwelgje
26th December 2014, 16:00
It is the drivers side and with the wheel turned to maximum you probably can have a peek at the front one. No need to remove anything.
To correct it if bent the wrong way, you need to get access or have a very long arm. Taking the wheel off can then be handy.

Rob

aircub
26th December 2014, 16:29
Thanks Rob, will have look tomorrow if its dry.

Greeners
27th December 2014, 20:31
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447bdc4f7dc34f.jpg

The arms should be in an inverted V shape....this one is wrong

When the ECU detects a problem, it automatically drops the lights to the lowest position so as not to dazzle oncoming roads users. The MOT tester would fail it on headlamp alignment, not the fact the leveling system is not working

aircub
27th December 2014, 22:18
My two sensors, the white stuff is just spray grease. They both look normal, so I played around with the plugs and joints. Gave them a quick spray of grease and hey presto the levelling is back working again.

Front Sensor

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7469/15937487597_2ee270a7f9_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qhkMNV)

Rear Sensor

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7478/16097437996_63187c1838_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qwtzuq)

VMax1000
27th December 2014, 22:22
result................

Clickernick
27th December 2014, 23:11
So much for our cars being phosphor dipped or whatever it is,,, why the heck do the suspension parts seem to take on rust so easily????
Don't see this on other cars of this age!!
Feel like scrubbing all the bits and re coating them in something really tough!

Ched
28th December 2014, 16:53
I had the same problem where the light would adjust and drop to the floor, so I checked the chassis adjusters and all is well.
Next I took the xenon apart and then checked the motor, it would work some of the time then it made a grinding sound and the adjuster then went fully out, (light pointing to floor), a gentle tap and it would work fine then the grinding sound and out it went again.
I have ordered a new motor from Germany with freepost for £22, the same item from a bmw dealer in the uk.....£117.54.

T-Cut
28th December 2014, 20:49
I have ordered a new motor from Germany with freepost for £22, the same item from a bmw dealer in the uk.....£117.54.

A link to the supplier might prove useful.

TC

motmann
28th December 2014, 22:09
Ben

It's really a case of taking one off and going to a bmw dealer and hoping the parts department can identify it

It'll probably be off an E39, but don't quote me on it.

Bmw x5 units are the ones you want, £53ish any x5 from 2000 to facelift 2006 ,with either hids or air suspension or both!

Ched
28th December 2014, 22:43
Link to the motors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OriginaL-AL-BMW-LWR-XENON-LEUCHTWEITENREGULIERUNG-Leuchtweitenversteller-8352206-/281181786725?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item4177bd9265

T-Cut
29th December 2014, 15:03
Link to the motors.

Interesting, cheers.

TC

Gentil79
29th November 2016, 20:39
The sensor links in the Post 3 photo have flipped, making it inoperable. The arms should be forming an open 'square' with the suspension arm.

TC
Hi, old post I know, but the picture of the rear sensor, show the arms on the correct position, right?

T-Cut
29th November 2016, 21:18
the picture of the rear sensor, show the arms on the correct position, right?

Yes, the photo shows the correct orientation. The sensor linkage is attached to the upper suspension arm, so the 'open' characteristic is displayed. Basically front and rear systems have the same 'open' characteristic. Diagramatically they're both like this, with the drawing inverted for the rear sensor.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Suspension_Stuff/HID_Level_Sensor_zpscpc3idjf.jpg

TC

madeupname
13th August 2017, 10:20
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but it's the best I could find in a search.
My problem isn't that the headlights have dipped, it's that I think they are too high.
I went to Middlesbrough yesterday and coming back I put the sidelights on in twilight, and the Xenons when it got dark.
I noticed that the motorway signs were lit up like they were in my other car when I put full beams on.
Nobody flashed me and drivers in front seemed happy to change lanes and drive in front of me, but I'm still worried because it seemed I was lighting up signs but not the road surface.
This is the first time I've driven Kim any distance and never noticed a problem driving round town streets.
I've never had Xenons or self levelling lights before so I don't know how they're supposed to look when working properly.
After parking up I looked at the lights. The Xenons were bright, as expected, but both inner lights looked like dull red embers. Are they supposed to be so dim?
Thanks for any help.

Coups
13th August 2017, 10:58
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but it's the best I could find in a search.
My problem isn't that the headlights have dipped, it's that I think they are too high.
I went to Middlesbrough yesterday and coming back I put the sidelights on in twilight, and the Xenons when it got dark.
I noticed that the motorway signs were lit up like they were in my other car when I put full beams on.
Nobody flashed me and drivers in front seemed happy to change lanes and drive in front of me, but I'm still worried because it seemed I was lighting up signs but not the road surface.
This is the first time I've driven Kim any distance and never noticed a problem driving round town streets.
I've never had Xenons or self levelling lights before so I don't know how they're supposed to look when working properly.
After parking up I looked at the lights. The Xenons were bright, as expected, but both inner lights looked like dull red embers. Are they supposed to be so dim?
Thanks for any help.

Sounds about right! The demons really do light up motorway signs much better than halogens. Mind, newer motorway signs seem incredibly reflective these days. So much so that I've often to turn main beam off it's so dazzling.

The sidelights do look really dull next to xenons. Many, including me, have changed the sidelight bulbs to ones with a whiter light to blend in.

If no other driver indicated their discomfort to you I wouldn't think they'd be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madeupname
13th August 2017, 12:11
Sounds about right! The demons really do light up motorway signs much better than halogens. Mind, newer motorway signs seem incredibly reflective these days. So much so that I've often to turn main beam off it's so dazzling.

The sidelights do look really dull next to xenons. Many, including me, have changed the sidelight bulbs to ones with a whiter light to blend in.

If no other driver indicated their discomfort to you I wouldn't think they'd be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Coups, at least that's put my mind a rest :}
And I'll look into getting different bulbs for the sidelights.

clf
13th August 2017, 12:32
Thanks Coups, at least that's put my mind a rest :}
And I'll look into getting different bulbs for the sidelights.I thought the same, likewise to the orange bulbs in the indicators, so changed those too, to chrome coated orange glow ones, front and rear.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/95b51b92e41d2ba783589d9dcddec28e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/a167e9eb3a70710fce47fc709c6e9af6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

suzublu
13th August 2017, 12:36
6000k xenons with led side lights :cool: http://i.imgur.com/mtyQho6l.jpg

madeupname
13th August 2017, 14:46
Ok, I'm convinced :D
Would Mat or Rick-Sta be the ones to get in touch with for these?

madeupname
13th August 2017, 14:49
Looking good Ron ;)

6000k xenons with led side lights :cool: http://i.imgur.com/mtyQho6l.jpg

clf
13th August 2017, 15:58
Ok, I'm convinced :D
Would Mat or Rick-Sta be the ones to get in touch with for these?Mind were just replacement bulbs from eBay. However, if you want something more bespoke and custom , like angel eyes, ricksta is your guy :D

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk