PDA

View Full Version : Oil overfill

topman
26th June 2009, 19:23
After having a couple of problems, just had a nosy under the bonnet and the garage have overfilled the engine with oil. The oil is up to the top of the measure part of the dipstick. Is there an easy way to draw it out with out taking the undertray off? Or is it even a problem?

StevenWilliams
26th June 2009, 19:40
You could try putting a thin hose down the filler. It would have to be something like a fish tank air tube but it should get a bit out.

topman
26th June 2009, 19:42
Yes I was thinking about something like that, with one of theose plastic syringes to suck it out.

Number 6
26th June 2009, 19:44
I would not put any thing down the filler except oil
you couldd try a thin tube down the dip stick hole and try sucking!!!
fill the tube and then seal the end that was in your mouth,withdraw the tube and empty it in to a container and repeat until you have removed enough oil

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

James.uk
26th June 2009, 19:46
To measure the oil level on our cars you have to do it twice! :o

Take the dipstick out, clean it. then try it again, if it still reads high then it is high. But the first reading always reads overfull.. :shrug:

Greeners
26th June 2009, 19:49
Down the pound shop, Turkey baster and a length of thin washer pipe tube...

failing that, find someone local with a Pella

topman
26th June 2009, 19:52
Yeah I meant dipstick, yeah it should work I don't know how much needs to come out might take a while. I checked it a few times.

T-Cut
26th June 2009, 21:07
A Pella pump is the obvious solution.

TC

bl52krz
26th June 2009, 21:23
To measure the oil level on our cars you have to do it twice! :o

Take the dipstick out, clean it. then try it again, if it still reads high then it is high. But the first reading always reads overfull.. :shrug:
always thought that it read "not enough oil", on the first pull.
wipe dipstick, return to holder, then second pull,tells the story.

JohnDotCom
26th June 2009, 22:34
My first port of call if overfilled would be the garage that did it!

topman
27th June 2009, 08:03
I know that would make sense, but I'd rather not as I've been messed about by them they would probably overfill it again.

topman
27th June 2009, 12:52
In the end it got sorted by the lads here http://www.mg-repairs.com/ dropped it in at short notice drained out the right amount and wouldn't take any money. Couldn't recommend them enough. The other garage had over filled by about 3/4 litre, back on the road now though. :driving:

JohnDotCom
27th June 2009, 17:49
Glad its sorted and nice to hear of the excellent service you received.