PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT 160 1.8 Turbo Cam sensor / revving problem above 4000 rpm

dggp
26th June 2009, 19:54
Hi everyone, anyhelp would really be appreciated as im having all sorts of problems with my Mg zt. its the petrol 1.8 turbo.

i've recently had the head gasket done but to be fair i had this problem before i got that done. my problem is that the car drives lovely until around 4000 / 5000 revs where it is like hitting a rev limiter and the car lurches violently.

i have a P 0340 error code which is the camshaft sensor and i have just changed this for a brand new item but i still get the same error which to me says that maybe the cam timing is out. would this affect the working of the sensor?

also i cant hear the turbo working, it doesnt seem to boost at all, would this be affected by the ecu because the cam sensor isn't working? i'd really apreciate any help or any ideas anyone has. thanks

Simon
26th June 2009, 21:30
Welcome along to the Club :welcome:

No expert on the subject but sometimes leaky pipes to and from the turbo can cause problems with performance so worth checking.

I also seem to recall that the crank sensor (or is the cam sensor, I forget now :o) can sometimes take a little persuasion to seat properly in it's home. Whether this is the case this time round I do not know.

Hopefully others of a more knowledgeable disposition will be along shortly to assist. :)

sworks
27th June 2009, 05:56
I have never seen a 1.8 cam sensor give problems (although there is always a first time) Some times if you use a scantool instead of T4 you can get spurious fault codes. It sounds as though the car may be over boosting, does it feel quicker than it used to be? if so, like simon says check the vacuum pipes on the boost solenoid and follow them down to the turbo checking there are no splits or have become disconnected. there are 3 on the turbo if i remember corectly

dggp
27th June 2009, 09:10
i'll have a look at the pipes today and get back to you, i had someone look at it and they said they couldnt do anything until i changed the cam sensor, which i've done, but like i said because the fault code still appears after i wiped it off which was the confusing bit, thanks for getting back to me and ill let you know how i get on

Gman2
27th June 2009, 12:01
If you do some searches there are a number of posts on this subject and is not uncommon. I had a quite a violent jolt when flooring the car and it was sorted through new coil packs and leads. Others have sourced the problem with detached hoses from the turbo.

Greeners
27th June 2009, 15:18
Bit of a long shot, but you could try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins. (radio code / sat nav shut down procedure)

This in effect will reset the ecu.

jaydeeuu
27th June 2009, 18:29
Had this problem myself recently - diagnosed as a turbo wastegate issue, put this is on "search" and you will find plenty of advice.