PDA

View Full Version : front + rear shocks issue

cdti_andy
27th June 2009, 19:15
hi guys i need help,car needs 4 new shocks

i have a mg zt cdti+135 2003, does any other models fit these or are they specific?

also how long would they take to fit in labour terms ?

cheers
andy

JohnDotCom
27th June 2009, 21:53
Have a look for Label under rear seat swab.
This will give details of shocks and springs required.

Data sheet below. Springs and Dampers.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=techdata

Can't help with fitting times but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

miketata
27th June 2009, 21:59
are you sure the shocks are gone.? We have the worst roads in the World down here (along with Russia) and I don't recall 75 shocks ever needing replacement.

JohnDotCom
27th June 2009, 22:01
The Roads in the UK are now appalling with vast lack of maintenance.
Pot Holes and Speed Humps everywhere,
but it is generally the springs that seem to go.

miketata
28th June 2009, 00:17
tbh I found UK roads very good. However I know diesel lumps are heavier and may wear out shockies sooner. Just concerned that in this case it's a ploy.

Dragrad
28th June 2009, 00:50
tbh I found UK roads very good. However I know diesel lumps are heavier and may wear out shockies sooner. Just concerned that in this case it's a ploy.

When were you last over here?

Essex council (I think) are referring to pot-holes as passive low-maintenance traffic calming installations!!?! (There's a thread on here somewhere :))

The roads around west Wales are notoriously bad, even heavy usage roads are so badly maintained, that even the 75 is hard put to provide a smooth ride!! :mad:

cdti_andy
28th June 2009, 13:18
on the mot theyve failed it as one at the front and one at the back is leaking

funning thing is the ride feels ok

Phil
28th June 2009, 15:27
I am suprised. I've never heard of shocks going on a 75.

franko
28th June 2009, 16:19
The 75 is a rather low car in the back, with a full tank, 2 suitcases, me 85kg:D, my wife and daughter, it gives the impression that I loaded some bricks in the boot. Anyone else ? Cheers. F.

sailorhms
28th June 2009, 19:55
My front ones are leaking too, its a diesel as well, wonder if it is the extra weight of the engine or if its the state of the roads that does it!

cdti_andy
29th June 2009, 20:03
pics of my 2 rears ,one looks very clean almost new labels still on there

drivers rear has some black gunk around the bottom end

is that where its leaking?

Phil
29th June 2009, 20:06
pics of my 2 rears ,one looks very clean almost new labels still on there

drivers rear has some black gunk around the bottom end

is that where its leaking?

I see the gunk, but from my testing days, I don't think it is grounds for a fail. It isn 't wet is it? Not got drips anywhere. Just dry gunk.

cdti_andy
29th June 2009, 20:14
yea deffo dry and thick lol and theres a gap before the top,does it drip from the top?

Phil
29th June 2009, 20:17
yea deffo dry and thick lol and theres a gap before the top,does it drip from the top?

You see the rubber sleeve, it drips from under there, you will see a shiney silver rod if you look up the sleeve. Going on that photo alone and from what i can see in the picture, I don't think I would have failed that and I used to get called some nasty things when I was an MOT tester.:D

Jamie
29th June 2009, 20:23
You see the rubber sleeve, it drips from under there, you will see a shiney silver rod if you look up the sleeve. Going on that photo alone and from what i can see in the picture, I don't think I would have failed that and I used to get called some nasty things when I was an MOT tester.:D

I second that...not a fail in my eyes...certainly not enough visible leakage for concern.

cdti_andy
29th June 2009, 20:26
ok guys might clean it up and take for test elsewhere

they also failed the fronts,whats best way for me to check them without putting it on ramps

cheers

Jamie
29th June 2009, 20:28
ok guys might clean it up and take for test elsewhere

they also failed the fronts,whats best way for me to check them without putting it on ramps

cheers

Jack up, remove road wheel and take a couple of photos of the strut unit then post them here.

j

cdti_andy
29th June 2009, 20:39
cheers guys thanks for assistance,will do after work tomorro

Jamie
29th June 2009, 20:46
Just taken a closer look at the second photo...on second thoughts it has been leaking and it may have lost all of the oil hence the dry pasty stuff thats left....before cleaning them up lean on the back end and try and bounce the suspension, then compare this to the oposite side...if the wet side seems softer or easier to bounce then you need to have them swopped...

You can get pattern parts from any good motor factors...try CES (originally chester exhaust supplies now national) or Fast parts at Northwich (they will parcel them to you) 01606 42942...speak to Mike and tell him Jamie sent you.

J

cdti_andy
29th June 2009, 21:04
damn lol was getting my hopes up :)

apparently the mg ones are hard to get hold of or so im told ,different to the 75 ones?

Jamie
29th June 2009, 21:56
Ring Mike and ask, there are plenty of manufacturer options and they should work fine...certainly better than shocks with no oil in and probably much cheaper than genuine items....fast parts would be my first port of call followed by rimmmer brothers for prices.

tapped
30th June 2009, 10:33
Fast parts! A blast from the past.

Used to nip down there for bits for my minis!

I'd personally steer clear of pattern dampers, I'd always want genuine Delphi ones. However, if money is tight then you are right, patterns are better than tired originals......

Can't see any reason why ZT ones would be in short supply at all. XPart restock suspension parts frequently

mikey_32
30th June 2009, 14:12
Can someone give me a few phone numbers for places please, because all the independant car spares retailers around by me that I use can not get none genuine rear shocks for the tourer models, I know mine are shot, or at least they should be after 197K miles, but looking at the photos at the start of this thread, these look more like it's been rubbing rather than a leak??? Surely if these were leaking then they'd be more evidence, also I was under the impression that the shocks fitted to a 75 were gas which would have no sign of leakage anyway :shrug:

cdti_andy
30th June 2009, 14:45
Looked on rimmer bros and they want £518 for set of 4 :( then theres fitting

ouch

edited they emailed me with quote for £518,which is above what money i have lol, oh well search for 2nd hand ones continue

cdti_andy
1st July 2009, 14:11
anyone know if any other mg shocks fit mine

like the 1.8 or v6 ones?

cheers

Lates
1st July 2009, 15:24
ZTT 190 rear shocks were on back order at one time.Availability should be ok at the minute

cdti_andy
1st July 2009, 17:01
do you know if zt190 shocks fit zt cdti?

Lates
2nd July 2009, 08:07
They will fit, whether they are the correct spec is another issue. My rear shock codes were GC (iirc) and XP have plenty.

cdti_andy
2nd July 2009, 14:07
my rear shocks are gc ,front ones are qk and re

g-mac
18th July 2009, 17:03
would a faulty rear shock be the cause of a nosie over bumps?, im trying to suss mine out and the passenger rear shock is where the noise sounds like its coming from, also the top gaiter part is loose?