PDA

View Full Version : side impact sensor - how to test it?

jumpstart
27th June 2009, 22:53
Hi Everybody, my airbag warning light is on. I have waggled the connectors about and no avail.

So I have taken the drivers seat out and levered up the soggy carpet and sucked out all the water there below.

Then I found the side impact sensor, and it was caked in alloy corrosion goo which I have scraped off.

It is now sitting on top of the hot water tank in the airing cupboard to dry out. Now, I can replace it for about 50 quid, but it might be ok.

Does anyone know a test I can do to check it out before buying another?

It has three terminals and I have a multimeter.

Many thanks for any help.

Dragrad
28th June 2009, 01:01
Hi Everybody, my airbag warning light is on. I have waggled the connectors about and no avail.

So I have taken the drivers seat out and levered up the soggy carpet and sucked out all the water there below.

Then I found the side impact sensor, and it was caked in alloy corrosion goo which I have scraped off.

It is now sitting on top of the hot water tank in the airing cupboard to dry out. Now, I can replace it for about 50 quid, but it might be ok.

Does anyone know a test I can do to check it out before buying another?

It has three terminals and I have a multimeter.

Many thanks for any help.

Why soggy? Unless this is solved the problem may well reoccur :confused:

Too much heat can cause dry joint problems with electronic circuitry. Just put it in the house where it can dry out naturally. May take longer to dry, but could avoid problems in the long run. ;)

How to check if it works??, :shrug: Sledge hammer? :confused::D:D

But, I'm sure an 'expert' will be along shortly...............

Greeners
28th June 2009, 03:02
I wouldn't think you can test it, if you can it'll be a T4 testbook job.

To be honest, as it's a critical safety component, I'd bin it and buy a replacement.

Contact Les@SMC, as I'm sure he's got them for less then £50

Scribbler.
28th June 2009, 10:41
Hello Jumpstart, :lol:
My `airbag/seatbelt' warning light also stays on but as stated somewhere in an earlier thread this is often due to bad elect. contacts beneath the seats. *I believe it's a yellow wire which requires new ends, but not positive on this. I will eventually get around to fixing them both. Good luck my friend and great motoring. Mike.

jumpstart
28th June 2009, 10:45
Thanks for the replies.

First, it got wet because I didn't clear the plenum drain under the servo about 2 years ago (following advice here) because I couldn't get to it and relied on the other drain being clear.

When that bunged, (new job excuses etc) the whole floorwell must have filled up, with the water, (presumably under acceleration) working it's way into the boot - where i first noticed it!

I then spent several weeks at the BACK of the car with a mastic gun, when I should have been in the plenum box:D. Doh!

When I eventually got the time to take the seat out and get the carpet up, it's obviously been saturated under there for some time.

Now, the problem with just buying a new one is;

It may not be that sensor. They appear to be handed. Suppose I replace it for 50 quid or so and the light is still on, I then have to move on to the next one and so on!

I suppose if I could persuade anyone with a good airbag system to allow me to take their chair out and substitute it! that would work, eventually.

So I just wondered if it could be easily tested electronically without either the above or the sledgehammer?

Even if they are not handed ( I think they are, because there's a mounting lug) could be I buy another and light still on, then temp fix it up for other side in some way, but light still on because another fault, eg front sensor or connector or wires or ECU etc.

The only part of the system I can actually be certain works is the warning light circuitry! AAGH:smilie_re:

Anway, at present this is prime suspect and sitting in airing cupboard.
Will try for sh unit.

ANY other suggestions appreciated.

By the way, for future reference the car did not fail it's recent MOT but was put down as an advisory. However, I'd prefer to have it working properly and benefit from the added safety, if I can do it at reasonable cost.

Jumpstart