PDA

View Full Version : Swark swark brakes

McMasters
28th June 2009, 14:30
Any front brake experts that can suggest a solution.:bowdown:
I have a recurring noise in front brakes when I brake slowly ,that is not too fast on the pedal, And, mainly when the brakes get warm. A sought of swark swark swark.:banghead:
Over the past 6 months (2 different brake and front end Rover service centers)I have replaced ( all new parts), the wheel bearings,the hubs, the springs, the brake disks (twice), the pads and checked the pad clips and had liberal daubs of copper grease applied.
I seem to get a months peace then back it comes, the dreaded swark :mad:when I brake. I can drown it out with the sound system but !!!
Has anyone got a clue what else it could be or had a similar problem and solved it ??:shrug:

Phil
28th June 2009, 14:43
Any front brake experts that can suggest a solution.:bowdown:
I have a recurring noise in front brakes when I brake slowly ,that is not too fast on the pedal, And, mainly when the brakes get warm. A sought of swark swark swark.:banghead:
Over the past 6 months (2 different brake and front end Rover service centers)I have replaced ( all new parts), the wheel bearings,the hubs, the springs, the brake disks (twice), the pads and checked the pad clips and had liberal daubs of copper grease applied.
I seem to get a months peace then back it comes, the dreaded swark :mad:when I brake. I can drown it out with the sound system but !!!
Has anyone got a clue what else it could be or had a similar problem and solved it ??:shrug:

Is it high pitched or more of a hiss sound?

GreyGhost
28th June 2009, 14:53
High pitched squeal at low speed is usually down to third party pads. OEM shoes don't do this. I have Mintex on the front and OEM on the rear, the fronts are an embarrasment.
An intermittent noise? I would blame warped disc but you say you have replaced them. Are you getting uneven wear on the pads?

Greeners
28th June 2009, 14:57
High pitched squeal at low speed is usually down to third party pads. OEM shoes don't do this. I have Mintex on the front and OEM on the rear, the fronts are an embarrasment.
An intermittent noise? I would blame warped disc but you say you have replaced them. Are you getting uneven wear on the pads?

Shoes, shoes......I trust you mean pads sir.....

GreyGhost
28th June 2009, 15:00
Shoes, shoes......I trust you mean pads sir.....

I do indeed, it's just the short term wossaname rearing it's head again. :D I'll amend my post. :)

Ragman
28th June 2009, 15:03
Are you getting even pad wear on the inner and outer pad, I knoe the discs are new but if the caliper is not 100% it may take time for the pad to contact properly hence more noticable at slow speed :shrug:

Greeners
28th June 2009, 15:06
Check the calipers for sticking pins on the sliders or sticking piston.

Ragman
28th June 2009, 15:07
Check the calipers for sticking pins on the sliders or sticking piston.

Thanks - that's what I was trying to say :D

McMasters
28th June 2009, 15:18
No, it is not a high pitched hiss more a deep swark that is in rythum with the wheels turning. I have had two new sets of disks, and pads oops shoes . They seem to be wearing even.

Phil
28th June 2009, 15:22
No, it is not a high pitched hiss more a deep swark that is in rythum with the wheels turning. I have had two new sets of disks, and pads oops shoes . They seem to be wearing even.

Mine does it and it is because the discs have a high spot from the vehicle being parked up and there is a high spot on the disc. I am going to skim the discs at some point.

McMasters
28th June 2009, 15:35
You lost there Phil" high spot from the vehicle being parked up??? and there is a high spot on the disc". I am having an oldtimers moment, can you explain a little further. Thanks

Phil
28th June 2009, 15:39
You lost there Phil" high spot from the vehicle being parked up??? and there is a high spot on the disc". I am having an oldtimers moment, can you explain a little further. Thanks

Sure, my car has been stood at the car dealership before I bought it and the part of the disc that is covered by the pad is protected from the elements and remains relatively rust free whereas the rest of the disc can rust and when you drive it the rust gets cleaned off leaving a high spot where there was no rust, causing a shush shush shush noise more audiable at low speeds in built up areas where the sound is amplified.

McMasters
28th June 2009, 15:53
Ah! Got it, thanks Phil, I will check.
This is the second new set of disks so they still look pretty clean after 4 weeks but I may have to take the wheels off to have a good look. There is no judder, just a low swark. It a sort of low clicking metallic sound. I thought maybe there is something in the suspension that I have overlooked that may be causing it but it only happens when I press the brake pedal at a slow pace. If I hit the brakes hard I hear nothing.??