PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Bulbs

Kas
28th June 2009, 15:45
I have an 8 year old Rover 75/ 2000. I have what appears to be a wiring problem of some kind. This started about 3 months ago. I got the bulb warning light on the dash and found that the driver side rear break light wasn’t working, a problem that I have had on a number of occasions since I bought the car. I changed it but on this occasion I found that there didn’t appear to be anything wrong with the bulb. I did put a new one in but the same thing happened. However the next day the warning had disappeared and the light was working again.

It was ok for a short while and then the warning was on again and this time the driver side front indicator wasn’t working as well as the rear driver side break light. Once again the situation corrected itself for a short time but returned. This has all happened several times with either one or both of the lights not working, and for a short while the warning like on the dash also dosapperaed and both lights operated ok. However, there is clearly a problem and for the last two weeks it seems to be static with the warning light on the dash on and the rear break light not working, but the front indicator light working ok.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

baxlin
28th June 2009, 17:55
When this happened to mine, it was the tail light rather than the brake light, but it could be the same problem.

A loose fitting bulb.

I read somewhere on here you can bend the contact bit of the socket, but all I did was fold a scrap of kitchen foil and trap it between the bulb body and the contact surface as I put the bulb back, being careful not to let it touch the other contact point of the bulb. No probs in many months now.

Hope yours is as simple.

Malcolm

Kas
29th June 2009, 05:28
Many thanks Malcolm - I'll give it a try

Cheers

Alan