PDA

View Full Version : Burning Smell

slimsi
29th June 2009, 09:18
My 75 recently when pushed hard on the motorway or accelerating hard has a smell like coming into the cabin that is just like that of a steam train.

I know certain smells are indicitive of certain problems but not sure what? Can any on advise? or is it something of the road has got into the engine bay and is burning?

Simon

andrewmsteve
29th June 2009, 10:03
Hi I think you may have a coolant leak check as soon as you can OR did you leave a Rag anywhere

Greeners
29th June 2009, 10:26
Coolant leak +1

slimsi
29th June 2009, 10:29
Thanks its what I feared, I will check the coolant tonight. Odd because over last month have hardly touched the car, maybe 100 miles at most.

Is it too late for the head? Presumably I should call the AA out on homestart and get it towed somewhere? Rather than risk further damage.

James.uk
29th June 2009, 14:11
Hmmm.. Going from a smell to thinking your HG has failed is quite a leap!! :p:

Check the coolant level, look for leaks, check that the soundproofing hasn't lost a few fixing buttons and now rests on the engine in places when the bonnet is shut.. Look for anything combustable touching a hot part of the engine..

And -- check the plenham box to make sure it's drain isn't blocked. And.. Please report back. :)

slimsi
29th June 2009, 14:14
Cool I will check it tonight presumably the T Peice and Expansion cap are most likely places?

Just for clarity I still havent fixed my FFS problem this wouldnt be related to it would it?

I will report back tonight or tomorrow..

pab
29th June 2009, 21:02
go round the engine bay with a torch and look for red staining.check behind the engine around the inlet manifold for signs of coolant staining,or even put a piece of cardboard under the car and check for drips

slimsi
30th June 2009, 08:35
Last night I went out and checked, nothing on Oil Filler Cap or Dipstick which is good.

Checked coolant level and wasnt on min but not as high as I remember so top of fins are showing.

Checked round the pipework for the cooling system and around one of the clips on the T piece was red staining but it could have been rust hard to tell but the other clips did not have the same marks. Otherwise all looked ok.

Other thing I noticed was a pipe running across the engine that was loose, it is the one running from bottom to top in this picture.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/50884a49ccb659b5a.jpg

The other end of it seems to go in somewhere above the pedals and the next photo shows damage to it where it may have been caught on something.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/50884a49ccb6af253.jpg

Then this photo shows where it was stuck to a metal pipe running across the wheel arch just before it dissappears, it came of ok but had obviously melted to it.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/50884a49ccb6dd881.jpg

Any advice on whether it does appear I have a coolant leak in the T piece would be appreciated, and if I do should I call the AA to tow it to a garage rather than risk further damage?

Also the pipe that appears to be damaged is this a problem? and could it be the source of my burning smell?

Thanks

Simon

Jules
30th June 2009, 08:51
The pipe with wires on it in your last picis the HIGH pressure side of Aircon circuit.
The wires are the trinary switch.
These will get very hot if you have cooling fan troubles (notorious)

Check your cooling fan runs with Aircon on (even with cold engine)

The damage to your throttle cable looks like a mouse has been hungry!

slimsi
30th June 2009, 08:55
Maybe a mouse is the burning smell....

chris75
30th June 2009, 18:45
Checked coolant level and wasnt on min but not as high as I remember so top of fins are showing.
Simon

Just to confirm something, the top of the fins should be showing ! The correct max level is when the coolant just comes up to the floor of the tank below the cap and you can see the word max moulded into the floor . You could be overfilled and spilling coolant when hot..................

slimsi
1st July 2009, 08:07
Well last night checked over engine bay again thoroughly after ten mile run nothing on dipstick or oil filler cap, also no red stains apart from one possibly round part of the T-Piece.

So just to be on the safe side taking it Executive Motoring Services Friday and they will pressure test it for, if its ok I will wait and install the gerry tee I just ordered to be on the safe side.

Also going to install Hanns temp gauge and get fuel filter clip fitted so it will now start ok with a quarter of a tank.

Thanks for your help will post back how I get on.

Simon

slimsi
4th July 2009, 20:50
Right car went into Executive Motoring Services and first of all no need for fuel filter clip as it has an all metal fuel filter.

Any how related to this thread the burning smell, well basically they could not see anywhere it was leaking coolant from so suspected could be heater matrix. Though it only dropped from 20 to 18 psi in half an hour.

So I will keep an eye on it and hopefuly it is not the beginnings of HGF!

Thanks for your help and advice if anything happens I will update this thread, also credit again to EMS for excellent care and service of the car!

bl52krz
4th July 2009, 21:43
Just to confirm something, the top of the fins should be showing ! The correct max level is when the coolant just comes up to the floor of the tank below the cap and you can see the word max moulded into the floor . You could be overfilled and spilling coolant when hot..................
correct chris75, in all respects.