PDA

View Full Version : Aircon what is going on? I'm bamboozled

lady zed
29th June 2009, 18:20
OK, the latest. Had a look through the grill and def nothing that appears to be a resistor type thing so assumably I have an old 3 speed fan.

Anyway, was roasting hot tonight, switched on teh climate control in the hope of getting some cooler air through the blowers and guess what?? Ice cold. Lasted a good 10 mins til I got home. When in the driveway I left the car running, popped the bonnet and I could hear a kinda click where it sounded like the fan was trying to come on, it's almost as if the car thinks the fan is working, but it's not. It times it perfectly, click, 5 mins later declick, 5 mins than another click. And where did the cold air come from????

On the way to cosford the aircon was working intermittently, it would be on for around 5/10 mins before it started getting hot, I would switch if, leave if 5/10 mins, switch it back on and it would be cold again for 5/10 mins. Better than nothing I guess.

So, what d'yall think? New fan and bobs yer uncle?

stocktake
29th June 2009, 18:28
Sometimes when the slow speed is worn on the 3 speed fan the force of the wind going through the grill turns the fan and it starts :). (used to happen on mine)

If it is only the fan you should notice the aircon works fine when you are travelling at speed.

The click you keep hearing could be the compressor clicking on and off.

lady zed
29th June 2009, 18:38
No it doesn't work at speed all the time, just intermittently. However apparently I have a leak too, so that could account for that. So the fact it came on at all and the compressor is clicking, is that a good sign that it may be just the fan and a leak?

Phil
29th June 2009, 18:44
No it doesn't work at speed all the time, just intermittently. However apparently I have a leak too, so that could account for that. So the fact it came on at all and the compressor is clicking, is that a good sign that it may be just the fan and a leak?

There are some common rub points on the a/c hoses on the diesels iirc may be worth a search if they say you have a leak. The click is probably the compressor cutting in and out and that is a good sign. Normally if there is no gas in the system it won't cut in at all, and if there is some but not loads the compressor will run continually as it is trying to achieve a pressure it cannot with the low level of gas. To me, it sounds like the fan is your main problem.

Duotone
29th June 2009, 18:44
Anna,

What is the year of your car ?

It looks to be 2001 or later. Could be you have a fan assembly with a resistor.

Here is a picture of the resistor you are looking for..

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/newfeather/Resistorandhorns-1.jpg

Dave T

lady zed
29th June 2009, 18:49
There are some common rub points on the a/c hoses on the diesels iirc may be worth a search if they say you have a leak. The click is probably the compressor cutting in and out and that is a good sign. Normally if there is no gas in the system it won't cut in at all, and if there is some but not loads the compressor will run continually as it is trying to achieve a pressure it cannot with the low level of gas. To me, it sounds like the fan is your main problem.

Well that's good news, thanks Phil.

lady zed
29th June 2009, 18:51
Anna,

What is the year of your car ?

It looks to be 2001 or later. Could be you have a fan assembly with a resistor.

Here is a picture of the resistor you are looking for..

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/newfeather/Resistorandhorns-1.jpg

Dave T

I can't see the silver thing, it's either not there or it's obscured by a big plastic thing. The car is one of the last pre facelifts, it was reg Feb 2004. Does that give any clue?

Duotone
29th June 2009, 18:59
A February 2004 car should have the resistor fitted.

Although I am not sure of the change over date..

Jules is the expert on fan assemblies, maybe he can help..

Dave T

Simon
29th June 2009, 19:08
The other possibility is that you do (or rather did) have a resistor and it's fell off. Either via someone getting a bit too happy with a pair of wire cutters or simply bad assembly. Do you see any mounting points/screw holes approximately where the resistor should be according to Duotone's picture? I know on my 3-Speed fan there are no mounting points for a resistor.

Departed
29th June 2009, 19:52
The resistor can be tricky to see. I have an early facelift and it is there. I had to look throught the lower grille before I saw it, and I think I had to move the fan blades a little too.

comanche
29th June 2009, 19:53
OK, the latest. Had a look through the grill and def nothing that appears to be a resistor type thing so assumably I have an old 3 speed fan.

Anyway, was roasting hot tonight, switched on teh climate control in the hope of getting some cooler air through the blowers and guess what?? Ice cold. Lasted a good 10 mins til I got home. When in the driveway I left the car running, popped the bonnet and I could hear a kinda click where it sounded like the fan was trying to come on, it's almost as if the car thinks the fan is working, but it's not. It times it perfectly, click, 5 mins later declick, 5 mins than another click. And where did the cold air come from????

On the way to cosford the aircon was working intermittently, it would be on for around 5/10 mins before it started getting hot, I would switch if, leave if 5/10 mins, switch it back on and it would be cold again for 5/10 mins. Better than nothing I guess.

So, what d'yall think? New fan and bobs yer uncle?

Hi Anna.

your description of you aircon operation sounds exactly like mine.

the clicking in almost certainly the compressor switching in and out, don’t think you would hear the fan relays clicking with the engine running.
5/10 mins would be about right for the pressure to drop below the HP switch operation which then allows the compressor to switch back in.

I had the 3 speed fan with 2 speeds not working.

Replaced it with a Kenlowe and now the aircon works just fine.

So a new fan may well sort your aircon problem.

hope you can get it sorted.

comanche

lady zed
29th June 2009, 19:57
OK! Good news (I think). With my trusty kitchen knife I discovered the plastic thing blocking my view was the fan blade. I moved that and hey presto, no resistor. BUT there is a mounting where a resistor obviously used to be. So now what?

Ragman
29th June 2009, 20:01
OK! Good news (I think). With my trusty kitchen knife I discovered the plastic thing blocking my view was the fan blade. I moved that and hey presto, no resistor. BUT there is a mounting where a resistor obviously used to be. So now what?

Been to North Wales recently - think Jules is your man

James.uk
29th June 2009, 20:02
Re air con,. As I understand it (:o) there is a switch that cuts the air-con off if "A" there is not enuff pressure, and "B" if there is too much pressure in the system. So your air con should not work at all.. That said, my air-con did exactly the same when I had a problem with it.. dohh.. :shrug:

There are ways to test the fan, one-via the air-con, you have tried, the other tests the fans fast speed. To do that you need to unplug a plug, dunno what it's called but from the front, it lives toward the back on the left. :o you then short the two (furthest away, on opposite sides) pins to each other, and the fan should start to run.. There are pics somewhere on this site but gawd knows where they are -- :o hopefully someone can find them for you. :)

I think you will need to have some dye put in the aircon to find the leak. then mend it. And you will have get your fan replaced.

But -- once the aircon is sorted, you can use it while on the move only untill you sort the fan, that gives you time to save up for the fan replacement job. :)

Once the aircon is working, when you stop and have to turn it off, use the "recycle air" on your control panel and the car will take quite a while to warm up again. :)

Keep us informed as to "Honeys" progress, as she really is a very pretty car. :)

stocktake
29th June 2009, 20:03
My old three speed fan had a bracket for a resistor but there was never one fitted.

I think yours is a 3 speed that has failed.

As its a mk1 (pre face lift) its not too hard to get in to have a better look.

Open bonnet two black plastic screws to undo and the chrome grill lifts off. You can get a good look behind the fan then.

What you need is a local knight in shining armour, come on chaps :)

comanche
29th June 2009, 20:07

My 3 speed fan has a mounting for the resistor too.
so dont think you can say for sure by looking for a resistor

lady zed
29th June 2009, 20:15
Keep us informed as to "Honeys" progress, as she really is a very pretty car. :)

You silver tongued cavalier, flattery will get you everywhere :p:

lady zed
29th June 2009, 20:16
My old three speed fan had a bracket for a resistor but there was never one fitted.

I think yours is a 3 speed that has failed.

Pants. So I still need a new fan.

lady zed
29th June 2009, 20:16
My 3 speed fan has a mounting for the resistor too.
so dont think you can say for sure by looking for a resistor

And again. Pants. My delight was short lived.

JohnDotCom
29th June 2009, 20:40
The Kenlowe Option is the answer Anna by the sound of it.
These are at a good price via Jules at the moment,
even though you would like to avoid any additional costs at the moment I know.
If you have someone you trust to fit it up there fine
otherwise a trip down here could be the order of the day.

He can check and do all the other normal things with front bumper off,
O Rings, Anti Chafe for wiring loom etc.

Try not to use Climate control while stationary as you could wreck the Compressor,
when moving the air coming through should keep fan turning.
If it turns warm or hot turn off straight away.

You won't be stranded for the day if you go to Jules as I'm sure a Knight in shining armour can show you (and the Lads) the sights.

pab
29th June 2009, 20:48
my may 2003 has the mounting for the resistor at two o'clock,but has a three speed fan