PDA

View Full Version : CDT Cooling fan

petrol
29th June 2009, 20:39
Hi all, I have a problem with my cooling fan but il start from the beginning. About 3 months ago i was on holiday in my new rover 75 and everything was running well but when i stopped at some lights there was a droning/wineing noise, i hit the ECON button and it went away. Me being me i just decided to stop using the air con thinking the compressor had gone but with the recent hot weather i thought id give it another go. I stuck it on whilst on the motorway and woohoo nice cold air, but then i sat in traffic andthe wineing came back. I asked one of the air-con experts at work who told me to check if the fan was working when the air con is on, which i did, and its not. I looked up a few threads on here and as a result tried the aircon again, but this time with the aircon set 4 degrees below outside temp. Still no spin. Is there a way to diagnose where the problem is? Do i need a new fan or could it be a fuse/relay? Its a 52reg CDT auto conny, cheers in advance, Petrol :D

comanche
29th June 2009, 20:53
Hi petrol.

sounds like the same problem scooterchick is having, failed fan by the sound of it. have a look at this thread.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40591

comanche

lady zed
29th June 2009, 21:12
Hi petrol.

sounds like the same problem scooterchick is having, failed fan by the sound of it. have a look at this thread.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40591

comanche

Took the words right out of my fingers. :D

Jules
29th June 2009, 21:48
Here you go, this test will give you a few answers.:smilie_re:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35577
Sadly, there are 100's of owners out there with duff fan motors & resistors.
My phone has melted since the weather got warm.:o

Hi all, I have a problem with my cooling fan but il start from the beginning. About 3 months ago i was on holiday in my new rover 75 and everything was running well but when i stopped at some lights there was a droning/wineing noise, i hit the ECON button and it went away. Me being me i just decided to stop using the air con thinking the compressor had gone but with the recent hot weather i thought id give it another go. I stuck it on whilst on the motorway and woohoo nice cold air, but then i sat in traffic andthe wineing came back. I asked one of the air-con experts at work who told me to check if the fan was working when the air con is on, which i did, and its not. I looked up a few threads on here and as a result tried the aircon again, but this time with the aircon set 4 degrees below outside temp. Still no spin. Is there a way to diagnose where the problem is? Do i need a new fan or could it be a fuse/relay? Its a 52reg CDT auto conny, cheers in advance, Petrol :D

petrol
29th June 2009, 22:08
cheers :) il try the paperclip trick tomorrow, if it still doesnt work then will i need a whole new fan? i bet they are hard to come by?

Jules
29th June 2009, 22:11
Not true
I have plenty ;) http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24506

petrol
30th June 2009, 22:29
Cheers for all the help, ive got a fan off a petrol 75 and stripped it down to remove the motor. I think its only 2 speed but ive rewired on plug with the earth wire and pulse wire and connected it out of the car (with the wires coming out by the wheel) and it seems to run okay. I had to discard the fan and cowling as the car had been smashed up pretty bad from all angles, but the motor all seems fine. I know its not as originaly intended but wrong fan is better than no fan!

petrol
5th July 2009, 00:06
Success! I fitted the fan motor today, what a job! i doubt i would have been able to do it without the fantastic "how-tos" on this site, the fan works great and i now have ice cold aircon with no nasty noises :lol: Only problems ive had are that i broken the bonnet release cable and got it stuck down, after a few hours i finaly got it open and bodged it, does anyone know if you can buy these or will have have to steal one of a crashed one? Also, i fired up the aircon and it STINKS! its rank, any ideas what this could be? ive read it can be bacterial/fungal build up, but where? plemums were cleaned about 3 months ago, ive read sommot about smelly pollen filters, where are these? the smell is at its strongest when first selecting air con, and also just as i switch it off.
cheers, luke :shrug:

Dragrad
5th July 2009, 00:20
Success! I fitted the fan motor today, what a job! i doubt i would have been able to do it without the fantastic "how-tos" on this site,

Must be worth the measly subscription fee then? ;)

Link at the top of the page :)

You'll get even more information about these wonderful cars when you do :D:D