PDA

View Full Version : clutch

mick75
29th June 2009, 20:56
not had the 75 1.8 long but wife was drivin the other day and had difficulty selecting gears thought she just could nt drive had a go myself and found she was tellin the truth when it happens they just wont select at all then after a while it will b alright any help would b great cheers mick.

newcybrown
29th June 2009, 21:13
Have a search for "clutch" there is load's of info on the subject mate.

AURORA MG
29th June 2009, 22:06
not had the 75 1.8 long but wife was drivin the other day and had difficulty selecting gears thought she just could nt drive had a go myself and found she was tellin the truth when it happens they just wont select at all then after a while it will b alright any help would b great cheers mick.

What area are you as there are several recomended MG & Rover service centre's mentioned on here (including us)?

marko
30th June 2009, 22:41
Hi I think i have the same problem. After 4 years of trouble free driving my Y reg 75 saloon is starting to play up. A few weeks ago I had trouble finding 3rd, after that it got gradually worse and today I could barely push it into any gear and crawled home in 1st. anyone know a good Rover garage in Tyneside?

thanks

mick75
1st July 2009, 18:26
im in bristol just out of intrest what is the worst senario im lookin at.... cheers

Tatts
1st July 2009, 18:41
If you take it an XPart centre, and it's a new clutch, master & slave cylinder, wave goodbye to the thick end of a grand. :D

mick75
2nd July 2009, 11:13
oooookay then well if thats the case its to the scrap yard in the sky 4 it then lol. i just dont think a 1.8 classic se model on a w is worth savin cheers anyway chaps. thanks 4 the info.

eskezz
2nd July 2009, 12:29
I remember seeing on here quite recently a figure of £360? from 'Mr Clutch' service centres-not exactly sure what it covered but worth a ring.

Gman2
2nd July 2009, 19:09
I've got some doubts about my own clutch on the R75. I doubt if "Mr Clutch" would do the cylinders as well? I'm sure I read that it was prudent at the same time to replace the dual mass flywheel or something like that? Not sure what it does tbh :shrug:

drewbie
3rd July 2009, 12:41
oooookay then well if thats the case its to the scrap yard in the sky 4 it then lol. i just dont think a 1.8 classic se model on a w is worth savin cheers anyway chaps. thanks 4 the info.

Bleed the clutch before scraping her, you my be surprised, lots of info on the subject on here.

newcybrown
3rd July 2009, 13:42
If you take it an XPart centre, and it's a new clutch, master & slave cylinder, wave goodbye to the thick end of a grand. :D

Can be done cheaper DIY- new 2 piece clutch £60, new slave cylinder around £100, 2nd hand master cylinder £30 (still going well after 7 months) replace fluid £10. A total of £200 but fitted by myself (no labour charge).

tapped
3rd July 2009, 13:49
slave cylinder change is all of about 20 seconds once the gearbox is split to do the driven plate etc.....

bl52krz
3rd July 2009, 14:46

have you checked to see if there is any fluid in the ressa for the clutch?
it is above the clutch peddle. have to remove the "condom" when you have taken the top off first.
fill it up and then give it a good bleed through. the bleed nipple for this is on the top of the gearbox for the diesel, dont know about the 1.8 though. prob same place.

mick75
3rd July 2009, 20:58
right then tried bleeding if i done it right i removed the air filter compartment found the nipple under it and 2 little dribbles came out so this could explain why i cant select any gears and where do u top up the fluid all i can see in the engine compartment is power steering resivoir?????????????????

mick75
3rd July 2009, 21:06
sorry mate just read your thread. now that i know where the resi is i will check it 2 morro cheers again.